PDA

View Full Version : How good a mother are YOU?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Say you have been sitting through an hour flight where the seat belt sign was
never turned off so you could not get up to use the bathroom. You finally get into the ladies room, with your three year old in tow, and sit down with a huge sigh of relief. You just start to go. Your three YO unlatches the door and like like a flash is gone. Do you.......

schums
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Yell like a crazy woman for the child to return, while trying to quickly finish my business. If no child is immediately forthcoming, I'd finish VERY quickly (but still finish) and find said child, with a look on my face that would scare ANYONE. It's not like he can be abducted, you know?

JBaxter
04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
If Im reading it right you are ON the plane.... Leave him go its not like he can get off the plane there is only so many places for him to be and hopefully he runs past his dad

Id finish peeing in peace

egoldber
04-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd pee in peace.

ellies mom
04-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd pee in peace.

I know, it be like a vacation.

californiagirl
04-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I was reading it as in the airport, where there are more options for something to go wrong. But I'd still let her go. My experience says she's not going far, one way or another -- my DD would panic as soon as she realized she was surrounded by strangers! and evil noises! plus most airport women's rooms have at least one helpful stranger who'd do what I would, and return my kid. Plus, yeah, she can only go out past DH, and even in a jetlagged blur, he'd notice.

At worst, I normally dress DD for travel in eye-catching outfits, and somebody will have seen an unaccompanied 3-year old in screaming green tie-dye (or whatever).

DH would probably chase after her, flapping in the wind; he has less modesty and less sense about how far she'll go.

katerinasmom
04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I read this as though you finally get to go to the bathroom in the airport - not on the plane. I can't imagine an airplane bathroom being big enough to allow a child to open the door while I am sitting on the toilet. So I would be one of those crazy mothers running out of the bathroom trying to pull her pants up as she is screaming "FREEZE" to her escape-artist child.

And out of curiosity - to the OP, what did you do?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
04-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I was reading it as in the airport, where there are more options for something to go wrong. But I'd still let her go. My experience says she's not going far, one way or another -- my DD would panic as soon as she realized she was surrounded by strangers! and evil noises! plus most airport women's rooms have at least one helpful stranger who'd do what I would, and return my kid. Plus, yeah, she can only go out past DH, and even in a jetlagged blur, he'd notice.

At worst, I normally dress DD for travel in eye-catching outfits, and somebody will have seen an unaccompanied 3-year old in screaming green tie-dye (or whatever).

DH would probably chase after her, flapping in the wind; he has less modesty and less sense about how far she'll go.

oh my god-I'm acutally laughing out loud at the keyboard. Dh "flapping in the wind" sorry-just freakin hillarious!:hysterical:

Oh, and since we're on the plane, in the air-and dh is with me. I'm peeing in peace and quiet! It's not like she's going anywhere. Athough I'd probobly reach forward and close the door.

bubbaray
04-11-2008, 04:02 PM
And out of curiosity - to the OP, what did you do?

And, did it involve duct tape?!?!?! LOL

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
We were IN the airport, in a handicapped bathroom and it was too big for me to lunge at him without peeing all over the floor and my feet.

KBecks
04-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't know, and I don't think I'd know until I was in that very moment. What a test!

SnuggleBuggles
04-11-2008, 05:05 PM
I voted for dh catching him but now that I read the actual scenario I think I would not be so sure about that choice. It would depend on how crowded the airport was, how quick dc was, and how observant dh was. I can kegel real good so if I were really worried I would be off and chasing.

Californiagirl- I dress ds in bright tie dye almost every time we are going somewhere crowded so he sticks out. It's been helpful on many occasions!

Beth

Jo..
04-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I'd lunge after him and pee all over myself.

JTsMom
04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Lunge and pee on myself, b/c DS is so quick, he'd be on an airplane to somewhere exotic by the time I finished. If I knew that's all I had to do to be a good mom, I would have peed on myself years ago!! Does it make up for the hours and hours of TV he watched this week?

I've been in *almost* that situation before (but it was at the mall), and since then, I put the stroller in front of the door with the breaks on. By the time he moves it, I'm done. If I didn't have the stroller, I would squeeze us both into a small stall, b/c I KNOW that would happen again, and I'd hate to subject a large crowd to the site of me peeing.

Globetrotter
04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
DH is standing outside the door? What's the problem? :innocent: