PDA

View Full Version : Questions about playmobil sets.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
04-13-2008, 01:01 AM
DD and I were out tonight and spotted the playmobil castles. DD has decided that she wants a castle with knights,a dragon and a princess. I have a feeling there will be pegasus as well. I like the fold and go one but the bigger one for $180ish is really catching my eye. I would like to get one that will last through both of them. I don't want to buy something girlie that a 7 year old ds won't touch so that nixes the melissa and doug castle.

It's a lot of money to spend on a toy and I noticed that the playmobil stuff is VERY cool and dc wouldn enjoy it, BUT-it's a lot of money for toys. If you have playmobil toys at home how did you decide which of the "big" units to buy and have you ever regretted the decision or do your dc play with them like crazy.

I'd love to hear what you guys think.Thanks.

AngelaS
04-13-2008, 07:57 AM
We have gobs and gobs of playmobil--4 huge bins plus the sets that stay together all the time, like the big pink castle, the pony ranch, the zoo, the vacation home, the take along home, the take along Christmas home and a big barn.

I started buying it when my oldest was about 4 or 5. We started with one set and it's just gone from there. It gets played with CONSTANTLY at my house. One girl currently the zoo in her room (she's 5) and my older dd has an elaborate set up with the Native Americans, part of the farming sets and a few other things.

Seriously, it's one of the best lines of toys we've ever invested in! It's so open ended that their imaginations totally drive how they play and I LOVE that. It's been worth everyone of the (oh man I don't want to count!) dollars I've spent!

ThreeofUs
04-13-2008, 10:47 AM
We have tons of it for DS, including a fully-outfitted castle, and have never bought new. Check craigslist, mothers' sales, and/or moms' exchanges - kids are always growing out of these toys.

elliput
04-13-2008, 11:30 AM
I have found Playmobil on clearance at Target (picked up a small castle for $20) and TRU (Viking ship for reg $35 for $17.50). I am always checking the clearance sections for other deals like that.

Playmobil makes a good long term toy investment. I even know some adults who collect it!

brittone2
04-13-2008, 01:07 PM
We have tons of it for DS, including a fully-outfitted castle, and have never bought new. Check craigslist, mothers' sales, and/or moms' exchanges - kids are always growing out of these toys.

Yeah that :) I got a free playmobile castle from craigslist a few weeks ago. She was pretty sure all parts were there. I have to finish assembling to be sure though. I have it put away and may give it to DS for Christmas this year (when he'll be almost 5). I have one of those Sabuda pop up books about Knights, etc. put away and thought the two gifts would go together nicely (and I also have 2 Greathall CDs about King Arthur's Knights and Robin Hood put away).

August Mom
04-13-2008, 03:19 PM
DS loves Playmobil. It is high quality stuff and it really does promote imaginary play. My only complaints are storage (lots of little pieces so it's difficult to keep it all organized) and the buildings come apart (if too much weight is applied, the wall will come off - stuff like that). I don't know how to store the buildings. They generally just stay built and sit on the floor or table. If you've never had Playmobil before, you might want to go with something smaller first to make sure DD likes it. It should definitely last for DC #2, though, and both boys and girls like it.

Globetrotter
04-13-2008, 03:44 PM
We are Playmobil fans :) I would suggest buying one less expensive set to see how they like it. I love that the sets promote imaginative play. YOu never know what their little PM people will do next! We have the airport, treehouse, airplane, camper, cabin, plus a few smaller sets. Most of their play revolves around vacations and adventures ;)

Ours do get played with a lot, but I find it a pain to store the big pieces. I recently got a treehouse and decided to try gluing some of the main structures because I am sick and tired of them falling apart!!! Of course, I never got around to finishing it so only two pieces are glued :) Other than that, we LOVE it.

I have a small plastic tub storage system where all the different categories are separated. They can certainly mix up sets when they want, but when they are done with everything, there is a system to put them away. Otherwise, I think it would be a disaster! My kids are pretty good at organizing, though, and I've trained them since they were small.

I've gotten some stuff from ebay, new and used. Enjoy - it's a lot of fun!

Kris

fivi2
04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I think the playmobil stuff is cool, but want to agree with the pps who said to try out a small piece. I tried to buy some for my nephews (my girls are too young) and neither wanted any of it - they don't like it because it "doesn't do anything". They are more into things they can build - legos, models, etc. They are both imaginative boys, I just think some kids aren't into that sort of thing.

Also - my Tuesday Morning has the Ryan's Room castle for $50.00. We don't own it, but it looks like a good price. (It is a wooden castle and not as cool as the Playmobil one, but much cheaper!)

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll be a dissenting vote. My ds recieved the barn set and he was so disinterested in it that he readily donated it in very short order. He walks right past it at toy stores...and goes to Legos instead usually. For playsets he prefers FP Imaginext sets.

Beth

Tondi G
04-13-2008, 06:38 PM
we like our playmobile stuff... only have a Pirate ship and the treasure chest fold up thing.... but man are there a TON of tiny little accessories. I LOVED playmobile as a child but my DS isn't THAT into it. He loves Legos!

If you are interested in another option check out this castle on sale!

http://www.babystyle.com/common/babystyle-royally-fun-adventure-castle-p.asp?pmid=23174&dept=37&sc=140

erosenst
04-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Abby received the farm and garden (?) sets for Hanukkah. She's had something close to no interest in it. She also doesn't like the Polly Pockets she received. She would much rather draw/color, jump in a bounce house, play cards, memory, dress-up, imaginary games with her stuffed animals, etc.

She may still be too young for it, so we're hanging on to it. Otherwise, I may have some stuff for sale at a great price. ;).

Emily
Abby 4

Raidra
04-13-2008, 09:09 PM
My boys are HUGE fans of Playmobil stuff, but personally, I hate the buildings. They're always knocking pieces off, needing help reassembling, or losing parts. I much prefer the individual guys and vehicles, and those get played with most.

We did buy a castle, but because my boys also have the Papo/Schleich knights, we got a wooden castle that would fit both figures (the Playmobil guys are a lot shorter). It's really, really sturdy and the kids mix and match the toys quite nicely. We got the Classic Castle from Constructive Playthings and I'm really pleased with the quality. You can take the tops of the towers off to reach in side, but the walls of the castles are SO sturdy and never fall over or anything. It's big, though (my 2.5 year old can sit in the middle of it comfortably), and doesn't compact at all to put it away.. so it basically just sits out in the middle of the playroom.

Piglet
04-13-2008, 10:34 PM
It's funny, we only recently bought DS1 some PM, because he got some Chanukah money to spend and he was drawn to the pirate stuff. He loves it! I can't believe I never thought to buy it for him. DH explained that he never suggested it because he never liked PM - he and his brothers were Lego fans and it was sort of like competing camps. DS1 seems to like both the Lego and the PM, but I agree with the suggestion to start small to see how your kids like it.