PDA

View Full Version : I do the dirty work, DH doesn't

niccig
04-13-2008, 02:09 AM
I know it is good for DS to see Mama fixing things around the house, and I'm all for gender equality, but why do I always get the dirty jobs? Today I sanded down a step that has rotting wood and I'll be filling the hole and repainting it as a temporary fix it until we can get it replaced, then I finished removing the caulking in the 2nd bathroom as it's moldy and needs to be replaced. While I did this, DH uploaded photos and made photobooks on kodak gallery for mothers day presents to the grandmothers. Why don't I get the clean jobs?!

new_mommy25
04-13-2008, 04:34 AM
At least he is making the books. In my house I do EVERYTHING!!

elephantmeg
04-13-2008, 09:24 AM
wow, you go girl! I don't know how to do that sort of thing. The dirty jobs I get stuck with are all the dirty diapers. Ugh

ThreeofUs
04-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Can I just say that some guys (including my DH) see no need for home upkeep and get flummoxed by the simplest home repair jobs. I can't trust him for a minute with dirty clean-up jobs because he just doesn't see what needs to be done.

That said, it's nice that he's an experimentalist who builds sub-zero machines, because he can take care of complex plumbing and electrical problems that I wouldn't touch. He had to weld in new pipes and rewire to put in our new dishwasher - the last repair had been during the Bay of Pigs, according the the newspapers stuffed into the holes! :)

C99
04-13-2008, 10:11 PM
At least he is making the books. In my house I do EVERYTHING!!

This.

DH let me sleep in "until as late as you want" today. HA! He let our children run around the first floor screaming, and all 3 of them came upstairs no less than once/hour to see if I was awake, ask me a question, or "snuggle" with me. I finally gave up the effort at 10:30 a.m. (DS2 was awake until 3 a.m., so 10:30 was about the minimum I needed to feel human.)

niccig
04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
DH just doesn't seem to realise that if you do a bit of work on the house now, it'll save a lot of money later on. I think part of this blindness can be traced back to his family. FIL didn't do much handyman stuff and what he did do, he didn't get the kids to help so DH doesn't know how to do many things. My family was the opposite. My dad and mother can do most repairs, and my sisters and I were the labour.

I couldn't even complain to DH about not helping with the dirty work - I've been waiting for photos of DS for 3 years and he finally uploaded and ordered them. Now to see how long it takes to get them in the frames (we've had those for 2 years) and on the wall.