PDA

View Full Version : Calling Income Tax Expert

ChefGirl
04-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I'm hoping some of you may help me. My Mom and I have a joint security account at Etrade. My husband and I take care of the account making trades, etc. And all correspondence from Etrade get sent to our house. Both of my Mom's and my name are on the account. We have always been paying taxes on the gains on my and my husband's joint return.

Now, my Mom got a notice from IRS claiming she hasn't paid taxes on the gains back from 2006 related to the Etrade account. And that she owes them some $20K+. My husband and I havent' gone through the notice. But, did we do something wrong by claiming the gains on our returns and thus pay the taxes on our return rather than on my Mom's? We figure it was a joint account between me and my Mom. As long as someone is paying the taxes on it.

Any expert out there? Thank you. My Dad is going nuts over this.

ThreeofUs
04-13-2008, 02:32 PM
My best advice is to get a tax accountant to help you interface with the IRS. If you've been paying the taxes on it, that may satisfy the IRS - but your defense has to be based on THEIR rules and regs.

A tax accountant will not charge all that much to help you get this straightened out, and you really need the expertise when dealing with the IRS.

HTH!

kellij
04-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi. I'm sending you an email.

Kelli

ChefGirl
04-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi. I'm sending you an email.

Kelli

Just replied to your message. You were right.