PDA

View Full Version : Get over it sister

punkrockmama
04-13-2008, 01:01 PM
So I got to see my ILs yesterday. Fuuuun times were had by all, inlcuding me since there was booze.

Anywhoo one of my SIL's latest gripes is that her kid's school has a new policy--snacks can only be fresh fruit with water or juice due to some children starting that have allergies to dairy and nuts. It'll kick in with the start of the summer program.

She was LIVID. Because why? Only fresh fruit? Well golly the horror of only eating fruit for snack. Doesn't sound super sucky to me.

Ugh I wanted to sock her. I admit I am ultra sensitive to this becaus as I've said before I have a dear, dear friend who turns blue if she so much as looks at a candy bar (nut allergy). I wonder if I didn't have this relationship if I would be so understanding as my kids aren't allergic to anything except the sound of my voice and listening to me. I would hope that I would have the understanding and compassion these kids deserve.

Blah, whatever. Layla totally had a poopy blow out while sitting in her lap later on and that made me happy. I'm a bad, bad girl.

egoldber
04-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Soooo...what about the kids allergic to various fruits? Honestly, I can see no nuts/peanuts, but not being more prescriptive that that. My kid isn't very fond of most fruits. She'd be eating apples or strawberries every day. Also, not having any kind of protein with snack is not a good idea for her. She needs the protein to tide her over to lunch.

punkrockmama
04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh, I get your point. I'm sure it must be hard trying to keep everyone safe AND happy and fed.

I'm bitching about HER. Because she was SO personally offended by it. Like, how dare they!! She even said and I quote "Why should we make special arrangements, can't they just put those kids outside somwhere." And she said "those kids" like they were cows. Then she went on to say stuff about how kids with allergies should be in special ed classes along with the "retarded kids". And yeah, she called them "retarded".

My SIL is a vain, spoiled woman who cares more about her hair color and her $2000.00 purse than anything else. Crap, I sound bitter,lol. I just really dont' like this chick. Ah well, bitching can be good for the soul.

egoldber
04-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Jeepers! She does sound like a real piece of work!!

bubbaray
04-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow, that's really niiiiice. Put my "retarded" DD#2 in a "special ed" class because fish could kill her. That's just great.

Hmm, and me without a gun. Well, I suppose that might be a good thing, considering....

FTR, with *some* food allergies, it isn't necessary to make entire classrooms allergen-free. It depends on the allergen (some, like fish, are more likely to cause anaphylaxis via airborne contact) and the child's anaphylaxis history. The lastest studies, however, show that peanuts are amoung the least likely of allergens to be problematic for airborn anaphylaxis. Peanuts do, however, get the most "press", even though the latest science shows that its really only ingestion, not airborn or dermis contact, that are problems.

I just went to a huge anaphylaxis conference last weekend and the push is now to get kids, even the youngest kids, to never eat food that isn't theirs and to get them to carry their EpiPens on their person even at K age.

I'm really dreading people like your SIL when DD#2 goes to school. Seriously. It makes me feel sick to my stomach. I just hope and pray that most of the kids in her classes think fish is icky, LOL.

MontrealMum
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
My humourous and flip answer is: well, special education is federally mandated in the US. And while the funding is definitely not what it used to be, in my mom's classroom, for example, legislation also mandates a ratio of 1 adult per 4 students! (this varies slightly, and depends on the classroom's designation) Pretty good ratio for public school, or any school these days. What parent wouldn't like that?

And my snarkier reaction? I think I'd just take my anaphylactic self away from your SIL and her ignorance with my other similarly "challenged" acquaintances and have a nice discussion about our high IQ's and multiple degrees from top 10 universities. But that's just me :wink2:

Seriously, if your SIL thinks that Darwinism is the answer, I have a feeling that she might be surprised about her own chances in such a situation.

Anaphyllaxis is scary stuff, nice to see the school doing something about it, even if it's not perfect.

MamaMolly
04-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey Shelia,
Next time you see your SIL and your arm starts to twitch don't get freaked out cause it's just me. I will be momentarily posessing your body so I can b!tch slap her. Go with it, we'll both feel better after it's through!

What a moron.

elizabethkott
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey Shelia,
Next time you see your SIL and your arm starts to twitch don't get freaked out cause it's just me. I will be momentarily posessing your body so I can b!tch slap her. Go with it, we'll both feel better after it's through!

What a moron.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Molly, do you rent yourself out for bitch-slapping-arm-possession? If so, do you take credit cards or offer a payment plan? Because I'm feeling the need to do some massive bitch-slap-therapy lately...
:D

gatorsmom
04-15-2008, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=MontrealMum]

Seriously, if your SIL thinks that Darwinism is the answer, I have a feeling that she might be surprised about her own chances in such a situation.

QUOTE]

snort. I love this. I unfortunately know some people I'd love to say this to.

Melanie
04-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Hey cool, do you think that means the state would pay for my Dd's preschool?

Dumb woman.

And I do ITA that kids really need some protein with their snacks. Hopefully they'll allow other things. I also can't imagine how they can single out certain allergies and not others. Luckily at Dc's school they make certain children only eat their own food. No swapping and sharing without teacher permission, at least at this age.