PDA

View Full Version : Disney transportation and car seats?

jjordan
04-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I feel like this must be really obvious but I haven't figured it out yet! We will likely be going to Disney in the next year or so, with both a toddler and an infant. I have learned that Disney has free airport to resort transportation but I don't know exactly what kind of transportation that is. It seems like we would need carseats, right? We'll have them for the airplane anyway. Is it a problem to install them on the shuttle? Then for the buses (once you're in Disney), I'm guessing you just hold your kids, right?

Thanks!

Jill

belovedgandp
04-13-2008, 09:32 PM
We went this past fall with a 3 1/2 year old and a 3 month old. Absolutely loved the trip and so happy I went with a "baby baby" who still ate and slept anywhere.

The bus from the airport to the resorts is a pretty typical motor coach. Two seats on each side of an aisle. I don't think there were seat belts.

The shuttle buses for transportation on property vary slightly but are sit/stand/hold onto your kids where ever they fit type transportation. No seatbelts, plastic bench seats lining the walls for standing room in the middle kind of thing.

In our case we needed the infant carrier for a 3 month old no matter what. He wasn't old enough to sit in a stroller. I properly secured the carrier on the airplane. All other transportation was haphazard. I still felt safer with him buckled in the infant carrier than in my arms on a crowded bus. I could prop the shell on something and use him to steady myself. People were very kind to make room for our family - usually offering up a seat for the 3 year old and such.

I did not take a carseat for our 3 1/2 year old. If we had been renting a car I would have brought ours and used it in-flight. But since we were only using the Disney buses where having it would be useless I didn't bother. He sits still well and wore the seatbelt on the plane.

AngelaS
04-13-2008, 09:34 PM
We installed the carseat on the shuttle van and then on the buses dd just sat beside us or on our laps. :)

jjordan
04-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks to both of you!

Jill

egoldber
04-14-2008, 09:06 AM
shuttle van

Just to clarify, the Disney transport from the airport to the hotel is not a van. Its large motor coaches.

AngelaS
04-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Our shuttle was a 15 passenger van. Or maybe ours wasn't Disney per se, but a contractor, I don't remember who I booked it thru.

jjordan
04-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks Beth. I'm taking "large motor coach" to mean a big bus that tour groups use, right?

Angela - Disney has a new system for resort guests where the shuttle is included in the trip. I think it's relatively new - so maybe it's different now than when you used it. If we did happen to get a van though it would be great for the carseats!

Jill

egoldber
04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Yes, think a Greyhound type bus. Disney's "Magical Express" has been around now for about 3 years I think. I think Angela may be remembering Mears shuttle service.

AngelaS
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Aaah, that name's familiar. :) Glad to know that next time we go we don't need to take carseats!

jjordan
04-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks again Beth!

Momof3Labs
04-15-2008, 06:12 PM
You cannot buckle in car seats in either the Magical Express busses (airport to hotel) or the Disney transportation busses.