PDA

View Full Version : Chances of having multiples-does it increase with age?

HIU8
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
DH and I are going to try for DC#3. We have had to go the RE fertility help route with DS and DD and will have to this time as well--long story but we will never get PG without intervention. I have had 2 successful IUI's out of 6. With DD I was on clomid and injectibles. We had thought she was twins b/c my beta was skyrocketing high, but ended up not. This time, however, I will be 38 and I assume we will have to go the clomid and injectibles route again. Does anyone know how much my chances of having multiples increases with age and fertility help? We are going to try no matter what but I thought I had read somewhere about your chances of having multiples increasing with age b/c you ovulate multiple eggs--plus the clomid forces ovulation (and last time it was 3 eggs according to the RE). Just want to be prepared if this becomes a reality for us. Not sure if I should really be worrying about it, but....

caheinz
04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Chances of fraternal twins does increase with age and can be more likely depending on the fertility treatment.

Chances of identical twins is just plain random. (There's nothing it correlates with.)

lorinick
04-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes your chances are greater. I had a baby in Aug. and I was told to be careful that my chances were high for having twins because I was 34. They told me you do produce more eggs. Clomid will make chances higher. I know how hard and time consuming fertility problems go. All worth it in the end. Good luck to you.

SammyeGail
04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
I would think it would vary from person to person. I thought moms having twins increasing when they are older using fertility treatments was because of IVF. I think older women are more likely to want to transfer 3 embryos instead of 2. (like me, we did 2 on our first IVF-neg, did 3 at second and got twins)

Your RE will be able to tell you how many eggs you have and how mature they are by their follicle size. If its alot (5-6) you and RE might want to cancel the IUI.

We did 3 IUIs, I had 3 follicles at each (they hoped the eggs would be all mature at IUI) but never got pregnant off those.

Maybe you can call your RE's office and talk to a nurse. they may be able to give you a good answer.

Good luck!!

Samantha

mjmamma
04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Your chances do increases as you get into your 30s and 40s and the chances also increase if you have had children previously. You ovulate more eggs as you get older. I believe the chances are approx 1 in 80 of concieving twins without fertility help... going up to 1 in 36 with assistance.
I am 33. I have two children and am pregnant with fraternal multiples. (Surprise) It does not run in my family and we did not have an help with fertility. The woman who did my sonogram said she often sees women going from 2 to 4 children.
It is random though, good luck either way.

bubbaray
04-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Are you doing clomid plus injectibles in the same cycle?? Are the injectibles superovulatory drugs or other???

I would discuss the stats in detail with your RE. It will depend in part on the drugs used, but also your age and your previous response to IF drugs.

Good luck!