PDA

View Full Version : Going part time..WWYD

infomama
04-14-2008, 11:49 PM
If you could go part time would you? What if it means giving up a job that you really like and could not get back full time if you changed your mind down the road? Our kids are still little, 7 months and 4 years. (I woud be doing the same job but for less pay..we have insurance through DH so that's not an issue)

wencit
04-14-2008, 11:58 PM
What makes you so sure you can't go back full time? Maybe you can't return to the same position at the same company, but perhaps you might be able to move to a different company with the same responsibilities and job skills?

Personally, if I could go part time, I think that would be the best of both worlds. It would give me valuable time to spend with my kids while they're still young, but still keep my foot in the corporate door.

infomama
04-15-2008, 12:53 AM
I work for a municipality, not a "company". Without going into detail I will just say that once you give up FT, you cant get it back.

wencit
04-15-2008, 01:02 AM
I work for a municipality, not a "company". Without going into detail I will just say that once you give up FT, you cant get it back. Ah, that's tougher, then. In that case, I probably wouldn't go part-time, particularly if I really enjoyed the job, as you indicated in your first post.

I know, these decisions are all hard ones, and all so personal!

infomama
04-15-2008, 01:45 AM
My actual job would be the same but with the cut in pay (etc). My gut is telling me that I will regret it if I stay full time. My mother told me, "your children are little only once, you have the rest of your life to work."

It's a tough decision....

kijip
04-15-2008, 02:16 AM
Yes, I would/have. Are there no other gov't jobs down the line you would be qualified for? You'll be able to find something full-time at different employer down the line if you want.

cono0507
04-15-2008, 02:22 AM
I work part time and don't forsee myself ever working full time as long as this continues to work out. I've had no regrets. I work 1-2 days/week and it really has been the best of both worlds, IMO (most of the time...) ;)

bnme
04-15-2008, 06:44 AM
I would do it in a second.....if you are having the desire to be home. I think even when the kids first start school part-time would be nice -home to do homework with them, take them to after school stuff. More chances to get to do stuff like chaperone field trips, more time with them in summer, etc. Also, at least you will still be in your profession so if the time came and you wanted to go back full-time you could go elsewhere easily (no 5years out of your field like a SAHM would have to explain). Plus you still have the workplace stimulation, off from 'mommy' time you may desire.

I personally think it is the best of both worlds. I have been a SAHM since DS#1 was 9months and now the thought of getting back into the workplace after all this time home is hanging over me like a black cloud (I will have to sooner or later for financial reasons).

Good luck with your decision.

KBecks
04-15-2008, 07:43 AM
I think the critical thing is when you say, the same job for less pay, would you be expected to cram a full time workload into a part time schedule? Consider that carefully, because part time will be no fun if you're putting in extra unpaid hours to meet expectations.

I would take a good look at the workload and does it really work for part time.

tmarie
04-15-2008, 07:53 AM
It is such a personal decision and I can understand how yours is complicated by the fact you love your job and can't go back to FT eventually.

I went to PT after working for FT until dd was 2. I wished I had done it sooner. The down time with her on week days has been so relaxing and it has been wonderful not to feel like I'm rushing through my weekends trying to get everything done (errands, chores, etc...). That said, our insurance and benefits are through dh's work, and I have the option to go FT whenever I want. My mother always said "they're only small once...." As I saw how quickly time was flying by with my dd, this really hit home. Good luck whatever you decide!

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 7/08

JustMe
04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
It is hard to know without having more details, and has others have said it is such a personal decision. In my case, I would definitely do it if I had the opportunity to do so. I noticed your older dc is 4. My dd is 5 and goes to Kindergarten in the Fall, so I am starting to think about regular school life, etc. It is so hard for me to think that maybe she would not be able to do some extracurricula activities that she is interested in as she gets older (b/c I wouldn't be able to transport her). People always talk about how much they want to be around when their kids are very little (before school age), but I felt pretty okay with her being in a setting I trusted getting her needs met (sure I would have liked more time with her, but I was okay with it). As she gets older I am worried about how her needs will get met with me working full time.

mom2chloe
04-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I worked poart time for 2.5 years after DD ws born. I worked 3 8-hour days... Monday, Tuesday, Friday. I dream of that life, now. What do you mean I don't have to grocery shop with the rest of the world on Sunday, can make a dr. appointment on a WEDNESDAY, cook dinner without feeling like I'm rushing DD to bed, actually upload, print, or scrapbook a picture or two, attend a field trip... what?!?!?!? OMG, I could start a lenghty list of things I"d give up to go back to that life... I wouldn't hesitiate for a spilt second. I'd actually be thankful FT might never be an option again. Lucky you to be able to even consider the choice.

carolinamama
04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
I would probably go part-time. I did when ds was born 2.5 yrs ago and it has been wonderful. I still get to do lots of sahm things with ds, but I get to leave that role and be an adult with adult work challenges etc. I am a better mother for working, but would probably lose my head if I worked long hours, espcially with #2 coming along this year.

There are lots of jobs out there, but only one childhood for our children. That said, you must do what will make YOU happy. Good Luck!

Rayray24
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I also agree its a personal decision, and since your dh has insurance as long as you have the money to be able to work pt I would say go for it. I am in a similar situation only I am the the one holding insurance and I kind of feel guilty for not being able to working ft. I don't have a choice my dd is 4 and after I give birth to ds it would cost almost my whole paycheck each week to put them in daycare. So I will actually make more only being pt but I also will never get to see dh and if I had to go back to ft it would be a struggle. I actually don't know if my company is gonna take me back from leave, I've had lots of problems and was put off work in Jan, and my 12 weeks fmla are up so they don't even have to bring me back!! Good luck to you and I hope you figure it out and your happy..

~~Jennie~~:yay:

infomama
04-15-2008, 08:24 PM
I think the critical thing is when you say, the same job for less pay, would you be expected to cram a full time workload into a part time schedule? Consider that carefully, because part time will be no fun if you're putting in extra unpaid hours to meet expectations.

I would take a good look at the workload and does it really work for part time.

This wouldn't be the case...my workload would be appropriate for a PT employee.

emily_gracesmama
04-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I love working part time. I get my valuable adult time at a job I love and time with my girls and the ability to manage my household. I am sooooooo in awe of mommies working full time, I can only imagine how stressed I would be, way more so now that I have the two girls. It is a great arrangement if it can be had and I so do not regret going part time.

infomama
04-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone! Even though this is a personal decision, it's so important to have input from those who are living it already.