PDA

View Full Version : Would you take the gamble on a brand new charter school?

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Details- Funded and managed by an established company that has a better than average track record for creating schools that actually stay around; board made up of local residents who are very invested in the school's success; board members from a good cross section of the community and some with very impressive and relative credentials; in a location that is likely to draw a good number of students; school district committed to the school for 5 years and will be reevaluated then based on performance (and maybe enrollment?).

I know if we get in on the ground floor we can help shape the school. Also, we will probably get a spot this year but that is questionable in the future if it is like the other charter schools in the area (they catch on fast and demand far outweighs the supply). So, there are some benefits to going with the school in it's first year.

Then again, it is an unknown. They will have a principal soon so that will help. The principal can really shape the school so who they hire wll be a big factor to me.

The board has plans, the school has a curriculum but I can't see anything in action.

So, what would you do? Would you let your kid be a guinea pig in a new charter school?

Just curious what the wise moms on here would do. :)

Beth

BeachBum
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I would for elementary school, but not for middle or high school. It sounds like things are falling into place for the school and odds are it would be great.
I'd be willing take that chance for a year (or 1/2 year).

egoldber
04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, for Sarah I wouldn't. She tends to have a lot of anxiety about new situations and takes a long, long time (as in many weeks or months) to adjust. So I wouldn't want to take the risk of having to pull her out mid year or find a new school again after only one year. It took her until January to really adjust to her new school this year for first grade and the fall was HARD!

But if I had a child with an easier going temperament, I might not be as concerned about that.

KBecks
04-15-2008, 02:26 PM
How does this compare to your other choices?

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Beth, I have a similar concern for ds. He was the new kid 3 years running (jumped from the 2's to the 4's at one school, kindergarten at yet another). I want him to finally be in his forever school and start establishing himself and friendships. I would say that if he hadn't had this past then I would be apt to gamble.

Great private school choice. We've been accepted and even gave a small deposit so that one is set.

There is another charter school that we may have a spot at next year that is great but a bit further away.

Lots of good choices, actually!

Beth

kransden
04-18-2008, 12:58 AM
I am facing the same dilemma. New school close to our home. DD could have friends over etc. The academics will be fine, but I am not sure about the extras like music or playground equipment. I have a feeling it won't be diverse either. They are going to wear uniforms - I like more self expression. I know we could get in now, but later we won't be able to get in at all if it is any good. I like the fact my very social dd could have friends over. Since it is a new school there won't be any cliques yet.

Current school is a 20 minute drive. Currently a great school, but severe budget cuts to existing progams. New principal that has no interest in the school. So I know it is going to go downhill, but will dd finish before it does? Lots of diversity and great parents.

It is a hard decision. What are the class sizes going to be like, what is the state cap? Do they have a cafeteria? Playground equipment? Will they be building so there are paint fumes etc around the kids? Uniforms? Music? Band? Art? Library? Computer Lab? What teaching philo. is the school going to use? Do they have character development? What about students with special needs? (You never know when your child might have a hidden disability.)

Good luck with how you decide. My brother did put it into perspective for me. "We went to crappy schools and all of us turned out fine, have good jobs and happy lives."