PDA

View Full Version : Saga of the SIL continues

almostsane
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
SIL never ceases to amaze me. Yesterday, I had jury duty that got dismissed. MIL was watching DS so, I went to get him at 11:30. She invited us to stay and play for the afternoon, then eat supper with them. Sometime during the afternoon, she called SIL/BIL to see if they wanted to join us. DH's sister and her kids were there as well (for the afternoon) so we helped MIL to prepare meal. Around 4:30, other SIL comes in with DN. This is the first conversation:

SIL: What are you doing here? Why are you not at work?
Me: Well, I had jury duty and it got dismissed. So I decided to spend some time with DS playing.
SIL: Oh, it must be nice to just be able to take off whenever you want to.
Me: (Thinking WTF? You have not gone to work since before you got married 3.5 years ago, yet DN is only 2!) Well, DS is acting a little jealous now that it is getting close to the big day, so I am just trying to reassure him that all is well.
SIL: He will adjust, you just need to make him see that he doesn't have to have you around all of the time.
Me: (Whoa, she is an expert on this why?) SIL, I don't really think that is what he needs, but maybe that will work for you.

Okay, fast forward to after dinner. Everyone is done eating and the kids are all playing in the play room. DH's sister and I get up and start cleaning kitchen. MIL goes outside to smoke and evil SIL joins her!!! Okay, I really don't expect my MIL to clean up after she has cooked the meal, just the way I was raised, but I CERTAINLY expected SIL to Get Off Her Butt and help out. This is not the first time that has happened, it is ALL OF THE TIME. My mother would beat me senseless if I did that at someone's house. Btw, when she came in from smoking, she sat down on the couch and never even commented about helping.:32:

elephantmeg
04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
how nice and as someone 4 weeks into having 2 kids I will tell you you did the right thing by hanging out with him today. I feel better about these past weeks knowing we did some special stuff together towards the end and still do some now.

Tondi G
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
UUGH... Your SIL needs a swift kick in her behind! She's lucky she isn't my SIL cause she would have gotten an earful!