PDA

View Full Version : Child's guitar or ukulele?

pb&j
04-15-2008, 12:11 PM
We'd love to get DS (who is 2 y.o.) a guitar. I'd rather get something a little more "real" than the el-cheapo ones they have at TRU, but still something inexpensive (under $100 or so) and small, so that he can hold it. I've also considered a ukulele, which is small, and supposed to be easier to play.

Neither DH nor I play guitar (or ukulele), so we have no idea what to look for or where to start. But DS loves music, and we have some good friends who are musicians, and he is always talking about "guitar man," and requests to watch the "guitar show" (Jack's Big Music Show). I don't mind if he can't *really* play for a few more years, but I want to have one around that he can experiment with, and that will be waiting for him when he's ready. Our musician friends can teach me enough to tune it, and play a few basic chords (I play piano, so am not a total stranger to music).

Any suggestions on where to look and what to look for? Anyone have a child's guitar or ukulele that they love?

jhrabosk
04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Ry --

We've been on the lookout for a replacement after buying one at a local toystore not too long ago that's turned out to be junk (they told us to bring it back). A few weeks back, we were at a friend's house who had a GREAT guitar for her DD that she bought at WalMart for $20!

My DH (who plays the guitar himself) has been on the hunt for it...apparently this particular one is being phased out by WalMart or something, so you can't order it online. You can try checking your local store, if you have one.

Here it is on Amazon, a litte bit more expensive, but worth it (in my DH's opinion): http://tinyurl.com/3vkt58.

pb&j
04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks - I'll head to WalMart tomorrow to see if they have it! :)

DrSally
04-16-2008, 10:51 AM
DS is 2 also and looooves music and esp. guitar (and Jack's music show). I got him a cheap ukulele at first, but it was a total waste soon after we bought it. It was so cheap, the screws for the strings wouldn't stay tightened, so the strings were all loose. Also, the nylon strings didn't make a very realistic sound. Then, TRU had a smaller wood guitar, with wire strings on sale, reg $30 for $20, so I went and got one. It is so much better and so much more realistic. A little bigger for DS to hold, but he loves it. He also loves the pick that same with it. IT has plastic covers for the cord tightener thingys so he can't get scratched with those or mess with them.

ETA: I just looked at pp's link, and it's the exact same one. I haven't seen that one at Walmart for $30, I think they either don't have it at mine or have raised the price. It's normally $30 at TRU, but I don't know if I'd wait for $20 price as I have only seen it once.

kijip
04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
We have a very old child sized guitar from my husband's childhood. T is already learning some things on it and loves, loves to play with it. I have seen them in used music shops for cheap.

sarahsthreads
04-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Personally if I were going to get a child a guitar, I'd go with something more like these 1/4-sized guitars than one at a toy shop:
http://store.musicforlittlepeople.com/bebopguitar.html

My guitar lives on a stand in the living room/play room and has since long before DD was born, and DD knows not to handle it without supervision - my point being that even very little children can be taught to handle an instrument with care. I think a "real" student guitar is a reasonable investment even at 2, and if DD were at all interested in playing it herself it's what I would buy. (She's much more into art and dance than music right now.)

Sarah :)