PDA

View Full Version : Looking at diaper bags

tnrnchick74
04-15-2008, 07:57 PM
My SIL has tons of diaper bags...and hasn't found the "right" one. I'm just starting my search...

I know that the hospital will send me home with a basic diaper bag...nothing fancy and it will work. But with my baby shower coming up I would like to register for something a little better.

I'm looking at the Skip Hop Dash bag I'm also looking at the Kalencom bags & Colombia bags.

I'm big into pockets & palces to organize things instead of a just a giant open space. Personal items I see me carrying are phone, wallet, keys, and a small bag with emergency medications (for myself). OF course the normal baby items: diapers, wipes, bottle (though I will be BF as well as bottle feeding), paci, toys, etc. I want something that looks ok, and isn't a dirt magnet!

Any suggestions, things to look for, things to avoid, etc??

jerigirl
04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I really liked my Skip Hop Duo- I didn't like the messenger flap on the Dash. Lots of pockets to stay organized. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the interior was black and hard to find things in it. If you like the Skip Hop bags you should check out their Spark bag at Target. It is similar to the duo but has tote straps as well.
I am currently using a Lexi Barnes Darling In the Viona print (2007) and LOVE it. It is similar to the SH Duo but has a light colored interior and wipeable exterior. A lot of people really like the LB Superstar as well. It is more like a messenger bag if that is what you want.

jeri

pastrygirl
04-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Ju-Ju-Be (http://www.ju-ju-be.com) ;)

Once I discovered JJB, I never went back to another bag. At first I didn't like the patterns but now I love them. They really grew on me! All the bags have tons of pockets and organization, no velcro, and they can be machine-washed. I really love the BeTween and the Be Right Back.

hlphillips2
04-16-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm also big into pockets and organization. I've been looking into the Ju-Ju-Be bags too. They come in all different shapes and sizes, and if you aren't a pattern person, there are basic colors like black and brown too. People who have them seem to love them. the biggest drawback - depending on where you live - is seeing one in person.

The other thing I might recommend is going with an inexpensive bag at first and see what you like and don't like about it. Then you can pick a more expensive one based on your "baby" lifestyle.

tnrnchick74
04-16-2008, 09:11 AM
I just looked at the Ju-Ju-Be bags online - I LOVE them!!! And Nordstroms at our local mall apparently carries them. I may have to go check them out in person!!! Thanks for the suggestion!

wellyes
04-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I love my Columbia bag:
- huge capacity but comfy to carry
- waterproof inside & out, rugged, very easy to clean
- light interior
- 10 pockets, including one just for the changing pad & insulated bottle pocket
- stroller straps
- utilitarian look / not girly, so my DH is as happy to carry it as I am
- available at BRU

tnrnchick74
04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I love my Columbia bag:
- huge capacity but comfy to carry
- waterproof inside & out, rugged, very easy to clean
- light interior
- 10 pockets, including one just for the changing pad & insulated bottle pocket
- stroller straps
- utilitarian look / not girly, so my DH is as happy to carry it as I am
- available at BRU

I looked at the Colomnia bags when I registered at BRU. I do like the size & organization, but several people I know of have had problems with the lining ripping. My SIL has one and it ripped within 2 weeks of use! I would rather invest in something that would last a little longer. Maybe its a limited problem, but I'm not sure. My BF likes the Colombia bag a lot...maybe I will get one for HIM to use!! :jammin:

MamaMolly
04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
I just looked at the Ju-Ju-Be bags online - I LOVE them!!! And Nordstroms at our local mall apparently carries them. I may have to go check them out in person!!! Thanks for the suggestion!

Just my BTDT: My local Nordie's only carries the messenger style of the Ju Ju Be. I was really wanting to get a backpack and so I was really disappointed that they didn't have more styles to choose from.

And I second the Columbia comment about the interior ripping. My good friend has the Columbia one from BRU and it has torn up within 6 months of use and I bought another brand at BRU with the same pattern on the lining (same features, too! Me thinks they are done by the same company and that they slap a different label on the front! ;) ) and mine lasted a WEEK before the zipper was ripping out of the side!!

The bag from the hospital was big and roomy and had a really nice insulated pocket and ice packs (no big surprise there, it came from Similac!!) but it tore up within a few months. We took it on a trip and the strap ripped out.

In the end I decided on the sling style from PBK. I love the durablilty, it is not too big either. In a perfect world it would have a few more pockets, but over all I'm very satisfied. IMO, it is worth spending a little more $$$ to get a really good bag that will last as opposed to re-buying over and over. And the PBK wasn't all that much more than the Columbia ...within $20 of each other. I wish I knew about that 'registering for it' trick at PBK for 10% off. I'd have totally done that!!!
HTH and happy shopping!!!

pastrygirl
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Nordstrom should be having a JJB trunk show THIS Saturday! Some of them are not doing it, so you might want to call. Mine is and I'm going! :)

codex57
04-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Have two Skip Hop Dash's (one original, one the new "deluxe" version). And a PBK Ultimate.

JJB bags are awesome. Just dunno if I could shell out for one. You can get two Skip Hops or PBK bags for less than one JJB. If you're into bags tho, they're quite awesome. Compared to strollers, having multiple bags is much cheaper than multiple strollers.

ThreeofUs
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
You've got some great suggestions here, and ITA with the pluses/minuses of the Skip Hops (great bags; black interior makes things hard to see).

Another option is to find a bag that you really like - a backpack that works for you, even a briefcase - and add
+a good-quality changing pad,
+a couple of insulated bottle holders (recycledbags.com has great ones), and
+plastic see-through containers (anything from gallon bags to backpacking organizers) for organization.

I did this because I couldn't find a bag under $500 that I really wanted, and I just didn't want to pay that much for something I wasn't going to use.

HTH!

SomeoneLikeYou
04-19-2008, 12:58 AM
I'd definitely throw my vote in for the PBK Ultimate diaper bag. It's $60 and is so much more stylish looking than the comparable-in-price Skip Hops, IMO. Wipeable ex- and interior, lots of pockets inside, 2 exterior pockets, easy to find to look at in person before buying as they are at Pottery Barn Kids stores, insulated bottle pockets, nice subdued colors of black, brown, navy, I think red, too, stands on it's own w/feet, comes with a changing pad (altho a bit thin), messenger style, magnets for closures, can convert to a backpack, comfy thick grippy carrying strap, beautiful light interior lining, and even a bit bigger than the Duo.

I also love that it's wider than it is taller, like most of the Skip Hops........things can't get lost as easily in this type of shape, IMO.

I LURVE IT!!!!

tnrnchick74
04-19-2008, 09:12 AM
thanks for the other suggestions. I'm going to be heading to the mall tomorrow...checking out JJB at Nordstrons and PBKs (as well as others). I'm sure I will end up with a couple of bags within the first year!

wendibird22
04-19-2008, 08:53 PM
I have this bag from One Step Ahead and love, love, love it.
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=456761&parentCategoryId=85184&categoryId=85222&subCategoryId=86208

It comes with 2 removable linings that are machine washable. Lost of inside organizer pockets with one that is an insulated bottle pocket. It also comes with a wallet that I use daily, and has a front organizer pocket for other mom-type stuff. It's pretty big, so it's not my run a quick errand bag, but it's great for long days at the mall, day trips, even overnights. I have been using it for 9 mos and it still looks new. And best of all, it was only $40!!!!!

WatchingThemGrow
04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
About the Skip Hops...my Denim Dash has a nice red lining that make is easy to navigate.

tnrnchick74
04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
I FINALLY got a chance to head to my local Nordstroms today and check out the JJB "Be all" bag. OMG I AM IN LOVE!!!!!

Now I have to find a deal on ebay!!!

pastrygirl
04-23-2008, 07:55 PM
You should also check the Pink Room! There are always great deals there. :D

sarahbethsarah
04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I really liked my Skip Hop Duo- I didn't like the messenger flap on the Dash. Lots of pockets to stay organized. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the interior was black and hard to find things in it. If you like the Skip Hop bags you should check out their Spark bag at Target. It is similar to the duo but has tote straps as well.
I am currently using a Lexi Barnes Darling In the Viona print (2007) and LOVE it. It is similar to the SH Duo but has a light colored interior and wipeable exterior. A lot of people really like the LB Superstar as well. It is more like a messenger bag if that is what you want.

jeri

the new dash deluxes have bright linings (and no velcro). so no more black hole!

tnrnchick74
04-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I GOT A GREAT DEAL ON EBAY!!!!

I won an auction last night for a JJB "be-all" bag...the one I LOVE and got a GREAT DEAL! I got the brown/robin combo for about 1/2 off of the Nordstrom's price!!!

Thanks to all for your suggestions!!!

hlphillips2
04-29-2008, 12:12 PM
That's great news! I just got the Be Right Back in brown/robin and LOVE the color combo. Just beautiful.

tnrnchick74
04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
That's great news! I just got the Be Right Back in brown/robin and LOVE the color combo. Just beautiful.

I saw that color combo when I made my trip to Nordstroms and it is BEAUTIFUL. I think it will stay clean and look fresh for a long time. It's also a nice "boy" pattern!