PDA

View Full Version : BPA in the news

writermama
04-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Article in this morning's Washington Post:
http://tinyurl.com/4kux55

caleymama
04-16-2008, 08:26 AM
No joke, DH is sitting nearby on his laptop and he *just* mentioned this same news! He's looking at an article about at foxnews.com. I was coming to the boards to show him the one Beth posted about Canada and BPA and here your post was.

Thanks for the link :)

Melbel
04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I cringe thinking about my DCs' exposure to BPA. I do not recall seeing anything about BPA when they were babies in 2000 and 2001 and I tend to be a heavy researcher. With our new baby, we can at least take steps to limit exposure by using glass or BPA free plastic bottles. I BF both DC, but also supplemented with formula as needed (big hungry babies and supply diminished due to return to work and repeat mastitis w/ DS). We expect that some supplementation may be necessary, but I am concerned by the reports that BPA is used to line both liquid and powder formula containers. Does anyone know if any formula that does not pose this risk?

brittone2
04-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for sharing! DH had emailed me the Foxnews article this morning, but I hadn't seen the Washington Post article.

Ceepa
04-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I cringe thinking about my DCs' exposure to BPA. I do not recall seeing anything about BPA when they were babies in 2000 and 2001 and I tend to be a heavy researcher.

I regularly remind myself that I did the best with the knowledge I had at the time. Otherwise, I could feel bad about everything we did years ago with our babies. This thinking is unproductive and fosters additional "mother's guilt" that I already wrestle with, that we probably all wrestle with periodically.

You're unsettled by this BPA news because you love your kids that much: the best foundation for healthy, happy kids. Just do what you can from this point and we'll all continue to learn for ourselves and from one another.

brittone2
04-16-2008, 09:13 AM
I cringe thinking about my DCs' exposure to BPA. I do not recall seeing anything about BPA when they were babies in 2000 and 2001 and I tend to be a heavy researcher. With our new baby, we can at least take steps to limit exposure by using glass or BPA free plastic bottles. I BF both DC, but also supplemented with formula as needed (big hungry babies and supply diminished due to return to work and repeat mastitis w/ DS). We expect that some supplementation may be necessary, but I am concerned by the reports that BPA is used to line both liquid and powder formula containers. Does anyone know if any formula that does not pose this risk?

I think some formulas have less BPA but I'm not aware of any that do not have it at all.

I don't think it was mentioned much back in 2000-2001. You cannot beat yourself up over something that you weren't aware of. The sad part IMO is a lot of people remain unaware of the risks (not everyone is a BBB type of mom ;) ) Like many things, for years it was considered quakery to even utter a word about BPA being potentially damaging, and now things are coming full circle.

ETA: from the Environmental Working Group:
http://www.ewg.org/reports/infantformula

ThreeofUs
04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I cringe thinking about my DCs' exposure to BPA. I do not recall seeing anything about BPA when they were babies in 2000 and 2001 and I tend to be a heavy researcher.

Me, too!

But, you know, outside of a bunch of geeky chemists (like me), very few people even knew BPA's existed. There were some rumblings about BPA's dangers, but these were considered "fringe" concerns - pretty untrustworthy.

Sometimes it pays to listen to folks sounding early alarms, but that's hard when these same people compromise their believability with other far-out ideas. Still, I remember my mom being absolutely reviled 30 years ago for some of her beliefs that are now quite mainstream.

We just have to do the best we can with what we know, kwim?

mik8
04-16-2008, 10:27 AM
On a side note, this might be an interesting artcle since it relates to BPA.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u085366n2334367l/

DH (scientist prof.) has a good friend colleague doing some work in vivo here in U.S. (looking at peoples’ serum or urine with mass spectrometry to measure BPA levels) supporting the aforementioned article and I believe is pursuing to further these studies i.e., re: yogurt clears BPA and PCB's out of the system.

gatorsmom
04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
On a side note, this might be an interesting artcle since it relates to BPA.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u085366n2334367l/

DH (scientist prof.) has a good friend colleague doing some work in vivo here in U.S. (looking at peoples’ serum or urine with mass spectrometry to measure BPA levels) supporting the aforementioned article and I believe is pursuing to further these studies i.e., re: yogurt clears BPA and PCB's out of the system.

What is lactococcus lactis and how can I get some? :) Seriously, is that a probiotic in yogurt (that's what it sounds like)?

gatorsmom
04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Beth, if there were an award for most-informed, vigilant mommy, you would get it. If weren't for you, we wouldn't be NEARLY as informed about important issues like this. Now that this BPA thing is coming to the attention of more people, I'm finally being given some respect from all those friends I warned about this topic. They ALL said I was overly paranoid and are now coming back and apologizing. Now, if only they would listen to me about keeping their kids rear-facing in their carseats. :(

mik8
04-16-2008, 01:27 PM
What is lactococcus lactis and how can I get some? :) Seriously, is that a probiotic in yogurt (that's what it sounds like)?

Lactococcus lactis is used primarily in fermenting cheeses or dairy products.

Lactobacillus is used to ferment yogurts. I think they are of different species but are very closely related, and both fall under the category of probiotics. The lactococcus lactis study was done in Japan while the lactobacillus (used in yogurts) is currently ongoing here in U.S.

brittone2
04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Beth, if there were an award for most-informed, vigilant mommy, you would get it. If weren't for you, we wouldn't be NEARLY as informed about important issues like this. Now that this BPA thing is coming to the attention of more people, I'm finally being given some respect from all those friends I warned about this topic. They ALL said I was overly paranoid and are now coming back and apologizing. Now, if only they would listen to me about keeping their kids rear-facing in their carseats. :(

Well, thank you for that. However, take into account my DS fell off the bed at 4 months of age, my DD has fallen off the bed several times (!), and a host of other mommy mistakes, and you would certainly doubt my vigilance ;)

I wanted to add this press release:
"Committee Probe Finds FDA Used Industry Studies to Approve Chemical in Infant Formula Liners"
http://energycommerce.house.gov/Press_110/110nr245.shtml

lovin2shop
04-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I emailed Nestle about my concern over BPA and here is their response for anyone who is interested:

Thank you for contacting the very best baby™ resource center. Our baby care and nutrition experts always appreciate hearing from caring moms like you. We know that you make the extra effort to provide the right nutrition for your baby, and so do we.

We appreciate your concerns regarding Bisphenol A (BPA) in the lining of cans of liquid forms of infant formula. All formula companies utilize can suppliers who do use bisphenol A in its epoxy resin for the liquid forms. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has not issued any maximum contaminant levels for this compound. We stand by our products in these type cans as being safe.

The interior of the cap to the nurser contains an epoxy coating that contains BPA. There is a small surface area of the interior of the cap that is exposed to this area when shaken. Studies show very little if any BPA levels occur in the formula. So, the lids are not BPA free but the product is perfectly safe to use.

We do understand your concern and if you feel uncomfortable using liquid formula from these cans, we would suggest using the powder form which the container does not contain any bisphenol A. The surfaces of Nestlé's powdered infant formula cans that come in contact with the powdered formulas are BPA-free. Therefore, mothers who cannot or choose not to breastfeed and who choose to use powdered formula, can feel confident in choosing Nestlé's powdered formulas.

kwlargop
04-17-2008, 03:53 PM
I have read and seen several things in the last day about what to use/not use in terms of bottles in order to avoid the BPA and I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about what specific brands you should use or avoid?

I heard that clear plastic is worse then colored plastic and you should avoid bottles like Avent since they are clear plastic. Does anyone know if that is true? Also I saw somewhere that Ameda is a brand you should avoid, well what about if I have an Ameda Breastpump? Are the bottles that I use to pump my expressed breast milk in ok to use since my son does not actually drink out of that bottle or are they to avoided too? Same thing with Evenflo bottles that I sometimes store expressed breast milk in during the day, are they safe?

Is this new warning just for bottles, or is it true that you should not use certain plastic container brands that you put your child's babyfood in?

Lastly, how do I find out the level of BPA in a particular bottle, should that be included on the packaging contents?

If anyone has any information that might help me figure out what is safe to use and what I should disregard, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Karla
7 1/2 month old son

Melbel
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I have read and seen several things in the last day about what to use/not use in terms of bottles in order to avoid the BPA and I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about what specific brands you should use or avoid?

This is a cross post from a which bottles to use thread:

As for BPA, I happened to bookmark this site this morning:

http://amomsblog.wordpress.com/2008/...nd-sippy-cups/

Per this website, this is a great “cheat sheet” that was compiled by SafeMama. It’s a very extensive list, so I wanted to share. That said, this may not be a comprehensive list as new products are released all the time. Additionally, please be aware that Avent, Dr. Brown’s, Nuby and others do have products made of polycarbonate plastics, so please choose wisely. I hope this relieves some concerns or helps you select products that are considered safe.

BPA Free Bottle Products

Adiri Natural Nursers
Avent “Via” disposable bottles
BornFree - All bottles and cups BPA free *see note
EvenFlo Glass bottles
Playtex Opaque Soft Bottle, Playtex Drop in liners
Gerber: Gerber Clearview, Fashion Tints (also called “Plastic Pastels”), Gerber GentleFlow
Medela: All bottles
Sassy MAM bottles (UltiVent), Baby Food Nurser Kit
Green to Grow Bottles **see note
Sassy Baby Food Nurser Kit
ThinkBaby Bottles
Momo Glass Bottles
Nuby: Standard Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, Standard Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, 3-Stage Wide Neck Easy Grip Feeding System with Non-Drip Nipple.
Nuture Pure Glass bottles
Babisil Silbottles
Weego Glass Bottles
Siliskin Glass Bottles
Dr Brown’s: Glass Bottles (all vent system pieces BPA Free), Dr. Browns Polypropylene bottles (due in store’s April 15th)

The following website, also has extensive information, company ratings and recommendations:

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/02/z-...-products.html

This site also provides text-messaging service to query the Z Report on BPA from your mobile phone for on-the-go recommendations. You may also be interested in a printable wallet card providing basic BPA-free recommendations in key product areas and simple text-messaging instructions.

ThreeofUs
04-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Just read in the NYTimes that Nalgene is dropping BPA from its bottles.

According to sources in Canada, consumer demand for items containing BPA has dropped away to nothing. Now if we could only get the same thing happening in the US!