PDA

View Full Version : How do I contact the Better Business Bureau? I'm mad...

gatorsmom
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
If I didn't need help with this, then this would definitely fit better in the Bitching Post (but I do need help so please don't move this thread :)).

Last summer I contacted a nanny placement agency. I paid their up front fee of $150 before they'd send me resumes (I've worked in Human Resources and Recruiting so paying money upfront seemed odd but all the agencies were requiring it so whatever). The agency sent someone to our house to find out about our family and I told them specifically what I was looking for in a nanny. I also said I was interested in them finding a post partum doula for me. They specifically said that it would be no problem to fill either of those positions in the time I gave.

So, they waited 2 weeks before I needed someone to work here and sent over resumes for warm bodies. these resumes didn't have any of the qualifications I asked for. It was almost as if they never came to my house to talk about the positions. So, when the day came that I had asked for a nanny to start and they didn't provide one or even came close to it, I found one through a different agency. They wouldn't refund my deposit (because they said up front that it was unrefundable). But they said they felt bad because they couldn't fill the position and would fill the post-partum doula position for free.

So, they send me a resume for a wonderful post-partum doula. Excellent experience- exactly what I was looking for. But I noticed that on her resume she listed her address as an hour away from our house. I was concerned that in the winter months, when I would need her, she might not want to drive and hour in yucky Minnesota weather, especially at night. I asked the recruiter point blank (3 times) if she talked to the doula about our location. Yep, she reassured me, the location is no problem. So, 3 weeks before the doula is suppose to start I called the doula and she said she DEFINITELY had a problem with our location and didn't realize where we lived. grrr... I asked the recruiter for a replacement ppdoula and she never called me back. I ended up finding one on my own.

Since then, the recruiter said she would refund all my money. So, after the twins were born, I left a message on their machine about a refund. Weeks go by, no response. So, I called again. Same thing. So, I emailed several times. No return emails.

Finally, 5 months later, I've given up on this company. But, don't get me wrong, I"M PISSED. I want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. And any other bureau that could prevent another family from having these problems. How do I go about doing that and who else should I contact about this? There are other, excellent nanny placement agencies around here that don't jerk families around.

kedss
04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
try their website:
http://welcome.bbb.org/

hth!

gatorsmom
04-16-2008, 12:16 PM
try their website:
http://welcome.bbb.org/

hth!

Thanks! Is there another agency I should contact who reports on shoddy businesses?

tnrnchick74
04-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't know if it exists or if that agency is a part of it...but is there some national organization for nannies??

ETA - I would also be VERY vocal in your local community about your experience. Word of mouth is a GREAT tool!@

ThreeofUs
04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I think the BBB is a great place to file a complaint, as well as Angie's List, if there is one where you live. There are various nanny review sites on the web - just google "nanny review" with your city name.

Honestly, though, word of mouth is HUGE. I would talk to everyone I know, including pastor/priest and other community leaders, about this place. Families do NOT need to go through this type of carp, and need to know about such places before they sign a contract.

Sorry you had to go through this. We had a bad experience with a nanny 3 years ago and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

brittone2
04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I believe you can also file with the state Attorney General consumer complaint division. I had to do this with Amazon.com

gatorruth
04-16-2008, 01:31 PM
post a little something on craigslist- but be careful- you can't mention them on your post. You CAN if someone replies directly to you...

Also, call up your local morning TV show or consumer advocate. Mom with 4 kids gets screwed will make the news!!

ShanaMama
04-16-2008, 08:03 PM
You will definitely get a resolution by filing a complaint with the BBB. I emailed the BBB with a complaint about a company and got very fast results. Even after they refund your $$ I'd still spread the word in your community. Most ppl don't check the BBB complaint history before using a company- I mean, doesn't sound like you did. ;)