PDA

View Full Version : Day Trip To NYC in mid May?

shelikesmorningglories
04-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I am taking a solo day trip to NYC in mid May.I am getting dropped at St Patricks.I love shopping,museums and food.Where should I go?:)

mmsmom
04-16-2008, 01:44 PM
I lived in NYC for 4 years... I would suggest going to SoHo, Greenwich Village or the Upper West Side. These neighborhoods are less touristy than mid-town and all offer lots of shopping, restaurants & museums. Decide what kind of museum you may want to see... history, art, photography, etc. and go from there. The main museums are huge & each could take up the whole day. See if you can find a copy of New York Magazine in your local Borders or Barnes & Noble. It comes out weekly (usually on Mondays) and lists all the museum exhibits. It will also have restaurant & shopping info.

jhrabosk
04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Another good magazine is Time Out NY...and if you have trouble finding New York Mag, their website is pretty good, I think.

If you pick a museum that appeals to you, we can make some suggestions for shopping and restaurants that are nearby. You don't want to spend your whole day travelling up and down the island on the subway!

jayali
04-16-2008, 09:36 PM
I also recommend Time Out NY. It usually lists all the cool stuff that is going on each week. I had Matthew in May and my docs were all on the upper East Side. I used to love the walk up Madison Avenue from the 60 all the way to the high 80's. You could then head over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Shopping on Madison Ave is one of my favorite alone time things to do. As pp said time in a museum here could be a full day event so chose wisely. The park is beautiful that time of year and strolling through the park with an ice cream cone is also pretty magical.

I think you should have a plan as to what area you want to spend the day in and then be loose about where the day takes you. Unless of course there is an exhibit as some museum that you MUST see.

Have fun!

shelikesmorningglories
04-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.I love modern art,vintage clothes,etc. Looking to do some shopping. Maybe get something special from Louis Vuitton or Gucci. Ideas?

jayali
04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
The MOMA is spectacular. If you like Modern Art then I would head there for a museum fix. Sounds like you may be more of a downtown girl, so ignore my previous upper East Side post and head downtown to SOHO and Tribeca. Great clothes and galleries in an awesome neighborhood. As for the Louie or Gucci purchase, if you live near a good mall that sells that stuff then I wouldn't waste time looking to make a purchase that you can make closer to home. Unless of course you happen to find a great knock-off on a street corner! I think you will have a great shopping experience in the little boutiques in SOHO.