PDA

View Full Version : Continuing Wednesday's What-is-wrong-here? theme ...

Ceepa
04-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Just saw this article about a picture book put out by a Miami plastic surgeon designed to explain procedures to his patients' children. The title -- My Beautiful Mommy. The book is said to be aimed at children four to seven years old.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/132240/page/1

Also, get a load of the Adonis-like illustration of the good doctor. Puh...lease.

http://ndn.newsweek.com/media/91/plastic-surgery-mommy-beautiful-wide-horizontal.jpg

ThreeofUs
04-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Perfect. Just lovely. And look at the palm trees in the background. Looks like my old neighborhood in SoCal.

Gotta love the expectations this sets up for the kids.

caheinz
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Yuck.

Ew.

I don't even want to think about the sequel, when the little girl wants to be prettier, too...

purpleeyes
04-16-2008, 09:20 PM
OH! i was totally going to post about this. it makes me SO angry.
Plastic surgery, for adults who chose it is not my issue...but what this says to children just drives me up the wall!

The mommy gets a tummy tuck and a new nose-what if she has a nose similar to her children? What does this say?
She explains to her kids that she needs the surgery b/c her clothes don't fit any more-no mention of healthy life choices

What expectations for the future does this book put on children-boys and girls?

Oh, it makes me so mad!! There are so much better ways to explain having surgery to kids!! GRRRR :banghead:

gatorsmom
04-17-2008, 04:09 AM
OH! i was totally going to post about this. it makes me SO angry.
Plastic surgery, for adults who chose it is not my issue...but what this says to children just drives me up the wall!

The mommy gets a tummy tuck and a new nose-what if she has a nose similar to her children? What does this say?
She explains to her kids that she needs the surgery b/c her clothes don't fit any more-no mention of healthy life choices

What expectations for the future does this book put on children-boys and girls?

Oh, it makes me so mad!! There are so much better ways to explain having surgery to kids!! GRRRR :banghead:

Real nice. So, kids, mommy is only beautiful if she looks nice on the outside. And if you aren't beautiful on the outside, you need to risk your life and health to do something about it. blech.

You just know that the doc who wrote that book has got to be like 65 yo, balding and paunchy. :)

kijip
04-17-2008, 12:00 PM
SO SO SO gross!

I don't have a problem with elective surgery for adults. Not my cup of tea, perhaps, but whatever.

But to educate your child in such a fashion as to teach them that to be prettier, you have to have yourself operated on? Ugh. Who would buy this book?

Plastic muscle bound doctor, plastic mommy, plastic palm trees, plastic SUV. It all seems like the world had gone mad. Also, what mother is running around in a belly revealing t-shirt?