PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing bottles and stuff

rcoltman
04-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Wondering when I should sterilize the bottles, nipples, etc. Is it every time I use it or just before using it for the first time?

Also, when should I sterilize the pacifiers, only before the first time I use it?

And one more (the questions keep on coming :) - I'm planning on sterilizing the bottles, etc on the stove over boiling water. IS there such thing as a "special pot/pan" used for that? My family is overseas and they have those there, it has special "things" in it to keep the parts that you're sterilizing in place.

Thanks, thanks, thanks (one for each question :)

momma_boo
04-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I sterilized everything just once and never did it again. Asked the pediatrician and she said it wasn't necessary. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like to re-sterilize on a regular basis, it's basically whatever you prefer to do.

Yes, there are sterilizing gadgets/gizmos but I don't know much about them since I didn't have one. I just threw everything into a big pot of boiling water.

SnuggleBuggles
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I just use a regular pot to boil things in. I boil anything that has breastmilk on it after every use. If you ff I don't think you need to do that though. The products will have instructions on them. Some say to only boil them one time, the first time, only (it's either the nipples or pacifiers that say that).

Beth

sidmand
04-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I've found (and been told) that you get more lax the more kids there are anyway!

We sterilized everything at least once, before we used it the first time (bottle nipples, bottles, breast shields, etc.). My sitter says we still sterilized things later on, but I don't recall that too much in the hazy days of a newborn. We did have bags that go in the microwave for sterilization purposes (I think Medela bags that we put bottles, breast shields, etc. in). We also used the dishwasher to wash everything at least once in a week, but inbetween times we used hot and soapy water to clean everything off...even with the first one.

We didn't have any special pot, just the special bags though for the microwave.

ThreeofUs
04-17-2008, 12:11 PM
We sterilized after each use, using boiling water or a microwave contraption.

vonfirmath
04-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm fighting yeast right now and my doctor says every 3-4 days we should be sterilizing.

(Honestly you do NOT want a yeast infection. Sore, if not outright painful, and annoying! And very difficult to go away)

Yikes!

rcoltman
04-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I think I'll stick to sterilizing the first time I use everything then hand-wash or throw them in the dishwasher.

My Mom likes to sterilize everything and she'll be helping us for a while, so if she wants to sterilize everything everytime...go ahead, I won't! :ROTFLMAO:

WatchingThemGrow
04-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm fighting yeast right now and my doctor says every 3-4 days we should be sterilizing.

(Honestly you do NOT want a yeast infection. Sore, if not outright painful, and annoying! And very difficult to go away)

Yikes!

Absolutely Yikes! That stuff is painful! Actually, I've read and heard after every use, pump horns, pacifiers, bottles/nipples, nursing bras, shirts, anything that comes in contact with the baby's mouth or your nipples should be sterilized every time. You should even be changing your bath towel every day during that . We used the Medela bags for pump horns and pacifiers during the day, but ran the hot dishwasher for the bottles and nipples nightly. All the bras and shirts and pjs and towels need to be washed in hot water also to kill the stuff (along with the meds). It is a pain in many ways...