PDA

View Full Version : Gift for OB, parents, and therapists...

sidmand
04-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Okay, covering a lot of ground here. I know some of this was mentioned before, but I'm thinking it was before the boards changed over and I tried searching without luck (I know that didn't carry over).

Last baby I didn't care so much for the OB, but this time I really feel like my OB has gone above and beyond and I would like to get her a little gift, but I have no idea what to get. Do I just get a giftcard? Flowers? I really don't even know what she likes or I would get her a coffee giftcard...any thoughts or great ideas?

We are also looking to get gifts for our parents for staying with DS while we were in the hospital and really doing lots around the house while we were gone! I know they don't expect anything and keep telling us they're happy to help (and visit with the grandkids), but we'd like to do something. In the past we've given them Omaha steaks, but MIL has strongly hinted that they don't really BBQ anymore, so although they liked those before, probably not the best idea now. My parents are coming too, but not for a couple of weeks, but I know they're planning to cook and I would guess my Dad will get bored and want to do lots of projects around the house too, so we'd like to get them something too.

And, DS turns three in June, so we lose all of his (some daily) therapists! Do we give them the same kind of gift we gave at the holidays (GCs to Target for the most part)? Unfortunately, I really don't know a lot about them because I would like to cater the card more toward what they like (coffee, restaurant, etc.) or perhaps a toy store where they buy things for the kids anyway?

Thanks for any help! Sorry I put so many questions in one post. I figured they were all related to gifts though.

Sillygirl
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm a doctor, I have tons of doctor friends, and we all agree. The absolute best present from a patient is a note or card telling us you appreciate our care, copied to the hospital administration. If there's a "caring award" the hospital gives out, nominate your doctor for that. I can't speak directly for therapists, but there are often awards for them as well. Those are a big, big deal. Hospitals are all about customer service these days and they want to hear from happy patients and they will do a lot to reward people that make their patients happy.

With the usual food gifts, you're competing with drug reps that have waaaay bigger budgets than you likely want to spend.

shilo
04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
ditto the notes for the therapists files too. in most places i've worked, there is either a specific question re: customer/client feedback as part of a yearly performance appraisal, or at the very least, a customer satisfaction question or section. as an ex-director of rehabilitation, i can tell you that most therapists would absolutely cherish a personal note cc'd to their superiors.

if you want to do something nice to go along with that, i'm a big fan of fresh fruit. candy would sit on the table in the office for weeks or months being occasionally picked at. but a fruit basket? wiped out clean in a matter of hours.

ETA: for your parents/in-laws... could you send them each to a nice local restaurant one night for dinner while they are visiting? or maybe you know of one in their hometowns you could call up and get a gc for? i've done the local (to my MIL, not us) spa gc and she raves about that as a gift. maybe since it sounds like both grandpa's are into projects around the house you could do a home depot or lowes gc?

hth,
lori

BeachBum
04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
My "go to" gifts are personalized stationary or a potted orchid.

Maybe for the grandparents framing a picture of them with your kids?

Tondi G
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
How about Edible Arrangements?

http://www.ediblearrangements.com/

Their chocolate dipped strawberries are DELICIOUS!!!!