PDA

View Full Version : Are FP Little People choking hazards?

SummerBaby
04-17-2008, 02:20 PM
DD#2, 8 months, is starting to crawl and get into DD#1's toys. I took the Little People figurines away from her (the baby) worrying that she could choke on them. Am I being overcautious?

Aside from Little People, how do I keep the baby away from all the other unsafe toys? I've refused to buy DD#1 a lot of things with really small parts, like Polly Pockets and some of the Princess stuff, but it's not really fair to her to ban all small part toys.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Val
DD#1 7/04
DD#2 7/07

egoldber
04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
The new chubbier ones are not. The older more narrow ones can be. Thats one of the greatest things about the LP. They are safe for kids of all ages to play with.

Of course, there's the plastics issue, but I can only think about so much at once.....

JTsMom
04-17-2008, 02:41 PM
An easy test for choking hazzards is a toilet paper tube. If the toy fits inside, it is a hazzard.

I only have one, so I haven't BTDT yet, but can you maybe keep the small part toys in one certain room where the baby isn't allowed, or just supervise her while she plays somewhere like the dining room table, then clean them up right away?

erosenst
04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
We only have one child, but two dogs who LOVE crayons and little plastic pieces of any kind. Abby knows all of those are "table toys" and is very good about hopping down to pick up anything that falls. And the dogs actually wait under the table to see what drops - am guessing you have a while til the baby figures that trick out :).

cono0507
04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
I've been letting my 8 mo old play with my DS's (3yo) Little People. She loves them. It is hard to keep my son's chokable toys away from her though and it remains a constant battle - matchbox cars, Thomas trains, small puzzle pieces, etc. We are trying to keep that stuff upstairs in his room "So baby sister can't eat them" because that seems to give him motivation to keep his small stuff away from her. That and being hypervigilant about what is out. It is stressfuL!

ThreeofUs
04-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Kids can choke on the darndest things. Do the toilet-paper-roll test, and take away what doesn't pass.

maestramommy
04-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I think the little people are too big to choke on, but I'm more concerned about Arwyn chewing on them and ingesting paint.