PDA

View Full Version : Keeping sand to a minimum in my car?

Ceepa
04-17-2008, 02:31 PM
I initially posted this in the bitching forum and then thought it's something I'd like to post in Lounge for input/suggestions.

----------------

It's nice outside so when I go to pick up DS the kids are always outside in the school yard. Fresh air, exercise, great! But ... DS is always covered in sand from the giant sandbox. I dust off what I can, but it sticks in his hair, fills his shoes and socks. So when he gets into the car it's like coming home from a beach trip.

And now DD heads for the sandbox, too, whenever we go pick up DS and she takes a nap when we get home so I have to brush her off and change her clothes completely.

Suggestions? I thought about taking off his shoes before he gets in the car, but they actually contain the sand on his feet until we get home.

Do you put something down on the floor to shake out? The car mats don't cover the footwell all the way?

Oh yeah, we just bought a new car so maybe I'm hypersensitive about the sand filling the interior. LOL

HGraceMom
04-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Parents of twins at DD's preschool emptied the sand out of the twins shoes every day into one of those big costco sized pretzel barrels. 2/3 of the way through the spring / summer outdoor season, they brought it to school and made a big deal about dumping the sand back into the sandbox!

Personally, I took DD's shoes off in the parking lot & banged them against the tire before taking off for the afternoon. If we didn't, she'd inevitably take her shoes off on the oriental rug in the living room :(

gatorruth
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I keep baby powder right near our back door, so when DC's are done in the sand box, I sprinkle baby powder on their feet, hands, etc... and they rub them together and it magically all comes off.
Works like a charm!

jayali
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Completely agree with pp post and the baby powder. We live near the beach and before we come home DS strips naked and we do the baby powder thing. It is the only thing that gets sand off. I have been known to sprinkle it in hair if we are at the beach late and I know DS is going right to bed when we get home. Light sprinkle in hair and some shaking and you would be surprised at how much it gets out. -

SnuggleBuggles
04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
I wish I knew that baby powder trip last year on vacation!! That's awesome to know!

I saw this on the BP forum and wanted to sympathize with your timely post. As we were driving home from school today I heard a weird sound and it was ds pouring the sand out of his shoes and saying, "wow! that's a lot of sand!". I asked him if he could please do the rest out of the car at our destination and he said that was all. His caseat is covered!

Beth

Ceepa
04-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Brilliant, everyone. I'll pickup some baby powder, or would baking soda work? I already have a bunch on hand.

And Beth, your post made me laugh. DS also likes to see how much pours out of his shoes at a time.

Neatfreak
04-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Gosh, I can't tell you all how much I wish this post had been around when my kiddo started preschool in August. Her school has the most glorious sandbox, and half a cup of the fine white sand regularly hitches a ride home in her shoes. Baby powder will be at the top of the shopping list.

traumarn
04-19-2008, 04:40 AM
maybe throw an old bed sheet into/across the back of the car....easy in, easy out...i have NO idea if this would work- it's just what i thought of....
good luck!!!