PDA

View Full Version : Prescription vs. OTC Prenatal Vitamin

linsei
04-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Which do you take and why?

I'm re-evaluating my prenatal choice. I've always taken an Rx, but now I'm thinking I might be better off taking a quality over the counter prenatal. Some research I've done indicates that otc prenatals are more easily absorbed/digested, have more nutrients, and also include minerals and herbs that may be beneficial. I'm thinking of changing b/c we are getting new insurance that doesn't pay for prescriptions. I'm BFing, so I want to continue a prenatal vs a regular multi-vitamin (I think). Any recommendations? I've asked my doc, and was not really given a great explanation of the differences, just that it doesn't really matter which kind I take.

Also, I've been buying the Expecta DHA supplement. I can just take fish oil instead of that, right? Are all DHA supplements created equal?

Thanks! :)

tnrnchick74
04-17-2008, 05:35 PM
The main difference I found is that the prescription ones contain a stool softner to lessen the side effects of the iron.

o_mom
04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I used the OTC ones and just added extra folic acid as it was a lower dose than what my Dr. recommended. I found the OTC ones did not give me a horrid metallic taste in my mouth like the Rx ones that I started on.

egoldber
04-17-2008, 06:22 PM
I've always taken OTC ones because my insurance has never paid for vitamins. I do add more folic acid, because of my loss history I needed to take several times the amount in most prenatals, even scrip ones. Also, I added a fish oil supplement several years ago to my daily vitamin routine. :)

lisams
04-17-2008, 06:38 PM
I finally found one I love (I've been taking prenatals for the past 8 years between TTC, pregnancy and nursing) - Rainbow Light Prenatal One. They are 100% natural - no preservatives, dyes, etc and are gentle on the stomach. It's amazing when you read the ingredients in vitamins. The Target ones I was taking were full of dyes and other ingredients I didn't recognize.

ThreeofUs
04-17-2008, 06:52 PM
I finally found one I love (I've been taking prenatals for the past 8 years between TTC, pregnancy and nursing) - Rainbow Light Prenatal One.

Seconded! These are the best - with really good vitamin ratios, etc. - and don't upset my stomach.

You will need a calcium supplement, though, but you're probably already doing that. I add fish oil, too.

Mamma2004
04-17-2008, 09:11 PM
My OB suggested taking OTC prenatals since they would be less likely to upset my stomach. She was right! I took Nature Made (I think that's the name....) and usually took them and my calcium at night, with dinner.

Good luck and congratulations!

JBaxter
04-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I take the pre natals from walmart. I tried the Rainbow owns but they gave me WICKED constipation.

shilo
04-18-2008, 03:26 AM
I take the pre natals from walmart. I tried the Rainbow owns but they gave me WICKED constipation.

heh, ditto that on the rainbow. wicked, wicked. i've probably tried most of the name brand prenatals on the OTC market and several prescription ones between ttc #1 and #2 pregnancy #1 and #2 BF #1.

the two i've had the best luck with overall have been the citrical prenatal (prescription which does have the SS added into it and does the best for constipation in my experience, if you tend that way, but it does have a slight metallic 'afterburn') and the whole foods generic brand (365) prenatal with the red label (this one i have to add SS to myself, but it's the only one that isn't making me throw up in the last two months and you only have to take one pill). my OB was fine with the 365 OTC one.

hth, lori

BeachBum
04-18-2008, 07:35 AM
My RE (reproductive endocrinologist) recommends Centrum One a Day.

himom
04-18-2008, 08:07 AM
I've had two different OBs and both of them told me RX prenatals were a waste of money. I ended up with different brands at different times and didn't see much of a difference in handling the iron. I usually took my old bottle to compare before buying a new one and there was never much of a difference.

HTH!

Jodi

jamsmu
04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
I had worse MS when on prescription, so I switched to 2 flintstones vitamins a day for the first half of my pg. When was about 6 months pg, I changed to a prescription with added fish oils (I think). Tasted awful, but good for the baby and me.

Of course, these days, its cheaper to use prescription sometimes than OTC. :eyeroll

DrSally
04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Last preg, I took prenatal Z, the generic prescription prenatal. They didn't have a list of ingred, but I assumed it was basic and minimal. It is actually cheaper to just pay the price of the vit vs. the copay for the prescription, my pharmicist pointed out. During Bfing and TTC, and now this preg, I'm just taking Target OTC prenatals. I asked my OB about it, and she said that's what she takes. Last preg, I asked about fish oil and my OB said no b/c there's not enough research, so I'm not really looking for anything "extra" in my prenatal.

jhrabosk
04-18-2008, 11:31 AM
I've been taking the Whole Foods 365s as well...when I compared them, they're EXACTLY the same as the Rainbow Lites.