PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Formula Checks Question

ray7694
04-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I have looked to get some formula checks on ebay. What is the deal with these? The same bidder is the higher bidder on all the auctions and every user has stars in their username and has a hidden username. It seems like some kind of a conspiracy.

theloo
04-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I believe the stars are to hide the losing bidders. This is a recent thing that eBay has started on all auctions.

WatchingThemGrow
04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
I totally know what you mean about the conspiracy thing. Over a year ago, I auctioned some I didn't need and got a good bit of money from them. The communication with the person was weird, and they were buying all kinds of different brands, checks only. ALL DAY LONG they were buying formula checks, and they had like 12,000 transactions per month. I figured this all out after I sent them, but it really creeped me out.

I tried to notify Ebay something weird was going on, but via email, they never actually realized what I was trying to say. My thought was that they were a convenience store company or something and it made them enough money to employ a person to buy checks on ebay for X amount and redeem them from the formula companies.

There are only ever like 3 "people" buying them all up. Look at different brands and who the winning bidder is on the auctions that are ending. I would LOVE to have this mystery solved...

dylan08
04-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Does Costco accept these formula checks? and also, can the the checks be combined with manufacturer's coupons?

Radosti
04-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Costco does not accept formula checks.

emschwar
04-18-2008, 10:17 AM
The theory I've heard is that they're grocery store managers who buy the checks to increase their bottom line.

Canna
04-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe someone sells the stuff at flea markets?

las710
04-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Sam's Club does accept the checks... not sure about coupons though.

icunurse
04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Our Costco does accept formula checks, so maybe check the policy at the one by you. ETA - our Costco does not accept manufacturers coupons, though.

I sold some formula checks on ebay a while back and, same thing, someone bought them who was bidding on just about every other formula check out there. I felt bad after I figured it out, as I wanted to help someone out with a fair amount of checks that I couldn't use. It is also strange that the face value of my checks was $50 and they paid me $48. There has to be some bigger reason....

belovedgandp
04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I too sold the formula checks I wasn't using on e-bay and got the same creepy feeling. Only a few bidders always bidding about the same rate on all the checks listed.

slm3679
04-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Does Costco accept these formula checks? and also, can the the checks be combined with manufacturer's coupons?

I have always been able to combine my checks with coupons.

hollybloom24
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Whenever I sold formula checks in the past, just about always the same person bought them (it was always the same mailing address on Staten Island, but often different user names.) I suspected it was a day care buying the checks, then they would buy the formula for the children and perhaps charge the parents full price.

In the past I had always been able to use formula checks and coupons together.

mollys_mommy
04-19-2008, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=hollybloom24]Whenever I sold formula checks in the past, just about always the same person bought them (it was always the same mailing address on Staten Island, but often different user names.) I suspected it was a day care buying the checks, then they would buy the formula for the children and perhaps charge the parents full price.

i havent sold extras this time as i know people who use all kinds, but when i did, or when i've known people, there seems to be 2 sellers. one on SI and one in michigan??? i think. its really quite odd. and they do pay a LOT of $$ for the checks!