PDA

View Full Version : DS sick and 13 hr plane journey on Monday

niccig
04-17-2008, 10:26 PM
I hope I can get DS into the doctor tomorrow, but if I can't, what can I do for a 3yo with I think a cold. I have a head cold, but DS is just coughing and it's a wet sounding cough. I'm worried about his ears on a 13 hr plane ride to Australia on Monday night. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
04-17-2008, 11:02 PM
As much as I avoid meds for my kids I will give some decongestant if a cold and air travel coincide. One time dh and I flew w/ colds and the ear pressure was so awful that we decided that we would do anything we could for ourselves and/ or kids to avoid that in the future. Hopefully the Dr. can recommend something. Be sure if they suggest benadryl that you try it a day or so before the flight to make sure it doesn't make him super wired if you are hoping he will sleep on the plane.

GL!! I hope you both feel better soon!

Beth

deannanb
04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
call the dr. first thing in the morning - most doctors have a few spots for sick patients throughout the day. Explain that you are leaving to go out of the country on Monday and need to be seen.

if you can't be seen, ask the dr for suggestions on what to take
- push the liquids!

niccig
04-17-2008, 11:38 PM
I'll do what I can to get us an appt. I've been dreading this trip because of the long flight, and I need DS to be as well as possible. On our last Australia trip, he had a stomach bug that kicked in half-way through the flight. It was not a pleasant 8 hours, and I don't want to repeat that experience. We can't change flight dates either. Uugh..I hope I can do something in the next 4 days for him.

pb&j
04-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Afrin! A couple squirts in each nostril just before takeoff and landing. The good news is, the pressure stays constant during the flight - it's only takeoff and landing that cause trouble. As long as you can get his ears equalized after takeoff, they'll be fine the rest of the flight.

bubbaray
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Try to get him into the dr to check his ears. If the dr gives the OK to fly, ask about decongestants. If you absolutely can't get into the dr, ask your pharmacist.

While I'm not a huge fan of medicating children just for the sake of medicating, you're talking about a LONG time at altitude. I'd use a decongestant, dose again about 1/2 through the flight, and also give pain relief.

Good luck!

BTW, what did you think of Vancouver??

Tondi G
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I second the rec for Afrin! Buy the mist version. I had bad ears as a child and that was what my ENT recommended. 20 minutes before take off and landing. It will shrink the nasal/sinus passages and help with pressure etc. Attempt to have your DS drinks a glass of liquid every hour if possible while in flight. I would give him or bring along tylenol/Motrin as well for any headache etc.

For now I would push chicken noodle soup, tea with lemon and honey, extra vitamin C and elderberry!

Good Luck.... hope he clears up some before your flight! Put a call in to your ped and have them check his ears today or tomorrow. Maybe they would be willing to give you a prescription for an antibiotic in case he gets an EI after the flight!

~Tondi

niccig
04-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Can I give DS Afrin? I know I can take it.
We saw the doc and DS's ears are clear. He has nasal drip and that's causing the cough. The dr. told us to come back Monday morning before our flight if he has a problem with his ears, and he prescribed some ear drops if his ears do hurt by then. We can give benadryl. DS has had cold/ nasal drip before and it does clear up, I'm hoping it does before we get on the plane. I'm pushing liquids and juice and crossing all my fingers and toes.

niccig
04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Good luck!

BTW, what did you think of Vancouver??

I forgot to come back and post to you about my trip. First of all, thanks for all the advice you gave me before I left. I enjoyed my time, but wished I had seen more of the city. SIL lives in Seattle, so next time we visit her, we'll cross the border. At first it was unusual to have so much adult alone time, but I enjoyed it. It was a nice break for me. The actual conference was good, but our main presenter couldn't make it due to sick child, so our symposium was a bit of a bust.

fauve01
04-18-2008, 04:50 PM
we just returned from a 10.5 hour flight with my 4yo dd who has a cold. since a nightmare trip with a cold last year, i now travel with Ear Planes ear plugs. i don't know if they work or what, but dd didn't cry this time. they come in adult and children's sizes and you can pick them up at any big pharmacy (i got them at Rite Aid).

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=12444&catid=10&brand=7846&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=10&trxp2=12444&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND

we also travel with benedryl and a decongestant (and the wristband for motion sickess).

good luck.
anne