PDA

View Full Version : CS Tech INSISTED I turn 16-month DD FF! (UPDATE)

nrp
04-18-2008, 07:00 PM
UPDATE:

I called the area SafeKids office and told the woman in charge about my experience. She seemed VERY happy that I had called, and assured me that they would be following up with the officer to see that he received some more education. She was especially alarmed at his insistence of turning DD forward. I told her I didn't want to get him "in trouble" but that I just wanted to make sure he didn't pass on the same bad information to other parents. She totally concurred. Whether or not anything happens I'll never know, but at least I feel better!

ORIGINAL POST:

I will preface this tirade by thanking this board for all that I have learned. Had I not been reading your wonderful advice, I would have three poorly installed car seats.

Anyway, today I had an appointment at a SafeKids one-day car seat check, because we just bought a Safety 1st Uptown for our nanny's car, and I just got a new Keyfit for DS due in June. We also have a blvd, which I figured I'd get checked again while I was there. I also told them when I made the appt the model of the three seats and the two cars (mine and the nanny's). Well, we get there and the officer (both the techs were police officers) begins by checking the blvd installation, which is RF. At first he comments that it looks pretty good, and then takes it out to check it out and reinstall. Then he asks me how old DD is and how much she weighs. I tell him 16-months and 23 lbs, so he tells me I'm supposed to install it FF. I tell him that I knew that I legally COULD turn it around, but that my understanding was that it was much safer to keep kids RF to the limits of the car seat. He says no, it's 1-yr and 20 lbs. I keep insisting and explain that both the AAP and every other reputable source I had read recommends extended RF. This goes on for two or three minutes. Finally he says that he'll do whatever I want, but that he had a two-week course in car-seat installation, and that I'm wrong.

He then installs the blvd RF - BADLY. The recline is way too much and it is far less tight than it was when I brought it in. He then installs the Keyfit, again badly. I think it had at least two inches of play along the belt. Finally he installs the Safety 1st Uptown in the nanny's car, and I plan to have her drive DD home in it. When I got to put DD in the seat, I find that he had the harness adjuster buried and caught up in the seat. By just pulling back the cover and digging it out, I was able to totally up-end the seat. Great. At this point I was so ticked I re-installed my blvd and took DD home myself in my car.

Was I expecting too much? I assume this guy was just a dud, but it was really disappointing. Oh - and I almost forgot the funniest part. I had grabbed a couple of the brochures and when I got home I saw that they explicitly endorse extended RF in the brochure! Wish I had seen that when I was there... grrrr.

o_mom
04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Did you get a name or tech number for this guy? He really needs to be reported to SafeKids - so many things wrong with what he did.

Joolsplus2
04-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh, he took the two week course alright...the one where you fail twice and they send you home and throw up their hands in dismay :52: (the national certification course is 32 hours, may be 28 now, takes about 3 days).

No, you weren't expecting too much at all. He should have filled out a form with the information about your car, child, seats... checked a list for recalls, read all (Car and seat) manuals if there was any question about anything, and then had YOU do the installs at the end if there was any educating he had needed to help you with. And he should have not tried to convince you to FF (good techs are literally jumping for joy when any parent wants to RF longer than the minimum).

If it's at all feasible, it would be best to talk to his superior with your experience and specific complaints so that his education can be brushed up, or he can be taken off this duty (um... how does one not install the Key Fit properly? The mind boggles...). And if it's not possible, just pray for all the other parents and kids he has left in possibly very unsafe situations :(

SnuggleBuggles
04-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Your story and others over time on this board are why I have never had my seats checked. My dh didn't take the 2 week course (;)) but I trust him more. That is so disappointing.

Beth

August Mom
04-19-2008, 12:25 PM
I've had bad experiences too. I reinstalled my seats myself after the checks.

jenlop
04-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Wow...that's so unfortunate. I installed my DD's infant car sear, then had it inspected (before she was born). The tech was great and got the seat SO much tighter than I could. I figured they'd all be like that. When I switch to a convertible seat, I guess I'll have to have a back up plan in case of a bad install.

Joolsplus2
04-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Yup, your back up plan is US! Seriously, a little reading and a few tips and you'll be an expert in no time with no tech to help you :boogie:

Leslie08
04-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Can a tech give advice on these 2 seats? My son is 8months and needs a bigger seat. I like the truimph but I am concerned abt. the straps. The are super easy to adjust up and down. Are they really safe like that versus the kind where rethreading is done by taking the cover of the seat off? Also I am using the latch so no seatbelt is used And no tether is used. Is this correct? Thank you

kijip
04-20-2008, 12:12 PM
When I took my 4 day course ( :) ) there were a lot of police officers. Even after all that, on our last day's carseat check, several of the police officers, who had all passed the same thing I just had thought that after a year and 20 pounds, you HAD to forward face. I was working with one of them and had to explain it several times over as they tried to turn tiny tots FF. Oy.

Joolsplus2
04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Can a tech give advice on these 2 seats? My son is 8months and needs a bigger seat. I like the truimph but I am concerned abt. the straps. The are super easy to adjust up and down. Are they really safe like that versus the kind where rethreading is done by taking the cover of the seat off? Also I am using the latch so no seatbelt is used And no tether is used. Is this correct? Thank you

The Triumph is great, the harness will stay still when he's IN the seat, so no worries. No, it can't be top tethered when rearfacing, only Britaxes and Radians can be top tethered when rearfacing.
(what's the second seat you are wondering about?)

:)

nrp
04-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for reinforcing that I was not crazy to expect a little more! I think I may call the main SafeKids office in Houston tomorrow (Monday) and as nicely as possible explain my concerns. I can't recall the officer's name, but he there were only two at the check, and he was the only male, so it shouldn't be too hard for them to figure out.

DrSally
04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Sounds like that guy was a dud!! I would've reinstalled right there (ok, maybe just one), but that is soooo annoying. He should read his own brochure!! Almost makes you want to go to these carseat clinics with some RF info in hand.

codex57
04-21-2008, 04:57 AM
Yup, your back up plan is US! Seriously, a little reading and a few tips and you'll be an expert in no time with no tech to help you :boogie:

Yup, that's what I decided on. Tons of super knowledgeable techs and parents on here, such as Jools. Much easier and more convenient to just get advice here than wasting time going to one of those things and getting an incompetent installer.