PDA

View Full Version : How to use Pack N Play bassinet

misshollygolightly
04-19-2008, 04:06 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but my husband just assembled our new Graco Bermuda Pack N Play (http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=9447BDA) and set it up in our bedroom. We're planning on having the baby sleep in the top bassinet part at night for the first few months, rather than in his crib which is in a separate room. I also thought having the attached changing table would be convenient for middle-of-the-night diaper changes. So here is my question: should we remove the changing table part each night before putting the baby to sleep in the bassinet, or is it safe to leave the changing table attached while the baby sleeps in the bassinet below? If it has to be removed, I'll be a little disappointed that the changing table won't be quite as convenient as I'd imagined. But of course the baby's safety is more important than my convenience! Please let me know what you did/recommend.

o_mom
04-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, you need to remove the changer to use the bassinet. There should be a huge warning sticker to that effect on the changer as there was a recall for this a year or so ago.

FWIW, I found it not too bad to change an night diaper on the bed or bassinet. Once they stop pooping at night (4-5 wks?) you don't really need to change at night any longer.

misshollygolightly
04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Good to know! Thanks!

pb&j
04-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Yes, you are supposed to remove it, but the hazard is from babies who can crawl and lift up the changer. A brand new newborn isn't going to present that hazard. The PNP I used had an elevated changer that actually swung/folded up and out of the way of the bassinet very easily.

hillview
04-20-2008, 02:53 PM
We didn't remove the changer top when he slept until DS was maybe 2 months old. IMHO it isn't really an issue until he can move around. I always kept him on the other end from the changer.
/hillary