PDA

View Full Version : Passover food question

Clarity
04-19-2008, 06:47 PM
I may have mentioned before that dd attends a JCC daycare. As this week is Passover, and I want to respect the dietary laws. What kinds of pre-packaged foods can I send in for her - specifically for breakfast that meets Kosher for Passover standards? Are fruit cups okay - such as pineapple or mandarin oranges? They say Kosher, but not necessarily Kosher for Passover. And, is there any carb-type food that I can send her for breakfast - not grain but a carb - that's pre-packaged?

She'll be eating Passover lunches per the JCC menu and I know there will be Matzo for lunch, she does like it so I thought I'd send it for breakfast, but wasn't sure if doubling up Matzo for breakfast and lunch would be over-doing it or not so I thought I'd see if there were other options - you know, like pre-packaged potatoes or something. LOL

Thanks for any suggestions!
Amy

Tondi G
04-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Any stores near by that you could buy some stuff that is kosher for Passover?

I would think fruit cups are fine but if there is corn syrup in them maybe not.... but it's about unleavened bread. If you are worried about a fruit cup why not send some fresh fruit cut up? Berries, apples, oranges, grapes or a banana? Looks like these particular fruit cups are ok

https://www.aviglatt.com/Catalog_383.html

there are cereals that are Kosher for passover

https://www.aviglatt.com/Catalog_1225.html

I know there are cookies and such that are kosher for passover.

Good Luck

Clarity
04-19-2008, 10:11 PM
That's the funny thing...I always substitute fruit for the juice they offer in the a.m. because I'm much more strict about the sugar levels in foods than the JCC. But, I'm unsure about sending fresh fruit (as I usually do) because my kitchen isn't kosher...so I was trying to find something that said Kosher for Passover so that it would be an acceptable subsitute.

BTW, the director said that I could continue to send in my dd's snacks and lunches because she knows my standard of nutrition is high, but I asked this question here because I did really want to follow the kosher rules for the week to the best of our ability.

We do have a grocery store locally that sells some kosher foods, but not nearly the supply of the website you gave. Thanks so much for sharing that.

newmomto1
04-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I may have mentioned before that dd attends a JCC daycare. As this week is Passover, and I want to respect the dietary laws. What kinds of pre-packaged foods can I send in for her - specifically for breakfast that meets Kosher for Passover standards? Are fruit cups okay - such as pineapple or mandarin oranges? They say Kosher, but not necessarily Kosher for Passover. And, is there any carb-type food that I can send her for breakfast - not grain but a carb - that's pre-packaged?

She'll be eating Passover lunches per the JCC menu and I know there will be Matzo for lunch, she does like it so I thought I'd send it for breakfast, but wasn't sure if doubling up Matzo for breakfast and lunch would be over-doing it or not so I thought I'd see if there were other options - you know, like pre-packaged potatoes or something. LOL

Amy

What are their requirements??
DS goes to our temple's preschool.
We were told no baked goods (bread, crackers, cookies, etc)
So, I am sending (for lunch) matzah, cheese, fruit, yogurt...

gatorruth
04-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Amy, If you do double up the matzah, be sure to give her some prunes!! Matzah is very binding-- and no bananas!!! My dc's like the Manischewitz coffee cake for breakfast. You bake it at home and send it in a tupperware... cut up so she can eat it. HTH!!

Amy[/QUOTE]

Clarity
04-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Ruth,
That's good to know about the Matzo...I picked up some Manishewitz sweet potato pancake mix that I found at the grocery and am going to make some of that up for her maybe that won't pose a problem.

I waited until too late and the small Passover section in our grocery is pretty well picked over now. grrr. Should have shopped sooner!

Clarity
04-21-2008, 09:42 AM
We are typically required to pack kosher lunches for dd, but over Passover, they are providing all of the food. And, yes, no baked goods at all.

I'm going with it, because it's important, but I needed to find an acceptable substitute for the juice and cereal in the a.m. She's getting the cereal today, because I'm not sure yet what they're giving them and one day isn't an issue. However, I don't want her in the habit of juice each day - (they give all of the kids juice each day but I've always sent a fruit subsitute. Again, I would have no problem with one day, but an entire week will get her into the expectation of juice each day so I'm trying to avoid that.)

EXPECTINGMAY
04-21-2008, 09:52 AM
But, I'm unsure about sending fresh fruit (as I usually do) because my kitchen isn't kosher...

Fresh fruit is fine. If you cut it up just put it in a zip lock or s/t new & disposable that hasn't been used to store other foods. There is nothing about fresh fruit that would make it unkosher for passover.

Also, many of your basic kosher products do say kosher for Passover closer to the holiday so check you supermarket for fruit cups & other items that are marked Kosher for passover (they can be in a regular section of store & not specifically in a special Passover section).