PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum for $250 tops?

JustMe
04-19-2008, 08:31 PM
What do you recommend? I am looking to spend no more than $250 on a vacuum.

Thanks!

KHF
04-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I got the Hoover Mach 6 from Sam's Club several months ago and have *loved* it. It's got the Dyson technology (bagless, cyclonic), but not the Dyson price. I think I paid between $140 and $160 for it?

The one from Sam's also has the Dyson "Animal" type attachments with it. There is also a model (Mach 5 maybe?) that they sell at wal-Mart. I think the only difference is it doesn't have the additional attachments.

I've also heard good things about the Bissell Healthy Home, but that it's pretty heavy also.

There are some forums on Fatwallet that I found to be VERY helpful when searching for vacuums. There is a guy that post there that works with vacuum cleaners, and seems to really know what he's talking about. If you do a search for vacuum cleaners on there, you'll find a lot. As well as how to find great deals on them!

Kirsten

Rainbows&Roses
04-20-2008, 01:09 PM
We just bought a Sears progressive last week - this one...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02036932000P?

Love it! We have a lot of hardwood/tile and this allows you to turn off the agitator brush so things actually get sucked up not "spit" around. I can't believe the suction and my DH and DD would not let me use it as they were having so much fun....poor me, didn't get to vacuum :)

My DH refused to stop cleaning an area till the light turned green. It is kind of a silly gimmick, but is an interesting study on how much dirt lurks beneath!

They had the bagged one on sale for $240 last week, but it looks like it is back up again. Sears changes prices a lot, so if you are interested, they will probably come back down. Also this model (and the blue one) were rated #1 (bagged) and #3 (bagless) by Consumer reports (better than dyson!)

kate909
04-20-2008, 02:32 PM
:yeahthat:

I have the bagged version, and it is fabulous. We have lots of hardwood in our downstairs and carpet upstairs, and it works great on both. It also has a cool attachment to do the stairs.

My SIL has a Dyson, and I wasn't impressed with it at all.

JustMe
04-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks, I bought one of the Sears progressive ones this weekend. I had been considering that and after reading these positive reviews decided to go for it. I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks again!

shaee
04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi

I have gone through a few vacuum cleaners in my life and i would say Dyson would never disappoint you.

I would be out of your $250 budget so i would try craigs list and look for a good deal. I got an upright dyson (1 year old) for about $160.

I would buy a second hand dyson over a brand new brand any day! But thats just me!! :wavey:

MamaKath
09-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks, I bought one of the Sears progressive ones this weekend. I had been considering that and after reading these positive reviews decided to go for it. I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks again!

How do you like this now that you have it?? Any feedback??

TIA~