PDA

View Full Version : Which Costco cake combo?

Happy 2B mommy
04-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Trying to post a poll. Hopefully this one works

We are having a surprise 60th Bday party, for MIL. After reading previous threads, I'm getting a Costco cake. I'd like to know your favorte combo.

MIL is a choco-holic, but doesn't like things too sweet. The frosting will be white, but I'm not sure if I'd should get the buttercream or whipped.

Also, they say the cake serves 48, but I'm not sure how big of a slice they mean (I've found that some bakeries think one serving is huge and some are small) We are expecting 35-40 people. Will the one cake be enough? (Okay, I wanted to try the carrot cake)

s7714
04-20-2008, 11:33 PM
One cake should be plenty for that many people. There's always a few who don't want cake anyway. I had about that many people at DD's birthday party last month. I cut the cake into approx. 2"x2" size pieces and we had maybe 10 pieces left.

Happy 2B mommy
04-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Bump. Ordering it tomorrow

brittone2
04-23-2008, 10:26 AM
DS picked out chocolate cake with chocolate mousse/icing for DD's first bday (I let him pick and he liked the picture on that one) and it was waaaaaaaay too sweet for my personal preference. My parents and DH agreed with me.

I haven't had many Costco cakes but if I get an other one I'd probably opt for cream cheese frosting or some other combo. I think they had whipped frosting at one time and that was less sweet, but they don't carry that anymore (at least from what I've read).

I am not a fan of super sweet buttercream t hough, so YMMV. Choc/choc was major sugar overload for me and I didn't find it that tasty. That's what I get for putting my then 3 year old in charge ;)

DrSally
04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
I looove the carrot cake, and don't think it's too sweet. The icing is the sweetest part, not the cake. Haven't tried the other kinds though. In other cakes, the whipped tends to be lighter and less sugary. But I love a good buttercream myself