PDA

View Full Version : Do you pack Dh's lunch? Beyond leftovers and sandwiches?

kayte
04-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I am posting this here because it's not really cooking--- I am just curious if you pack your DH's lunch? Does he take it everyday or just some? Does he take the same thing every day (like a sandwich, chips and an apple) or do you change it up? Do you ever cook/bake something specifically for his lunch or is just leftovers or cold cuts?

I used to pack DH's lunch all the time (when money was tighter) but we have been talking about doing to again... But I think before he got burnt out on sandwiches with the occasional leftover casserole in a Tupperware. So I am curious what everyone else packs...

StantonHyde
04-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Lean Cuisine

Ceepa
04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Bwahahahahaha. It's enough that I manage to get DS out the door with a packed lunch. ;)

Kidding aside, I absolutely see the value of sending DH in with food from home for nutritional and monetary reasons. It's on my list of things to work on when I get more organized (like bulk cooking). Right now DH buys his lunch in the corporate cafeteria, which has a large selection, so at least he can get variety.

MontrealMum
04-20-2008, 06:29 PM
DH takes his own lunch everyday because it's cheaper and healthier. He packs it himself! He takes (I think) 2 PB&J on whole grain, and carrot sticks. He used to take Brisk Iced tea until he read the calorie count on the side. Now I see the previous day's coffee going out in the a.m. - not sure what he does with it!

mom2chloe
04-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I used to pack mine, DD, and my significant other's every day. Then DD decided she wanted to buy lunch at school, and I've slipped on the rest. Today, it's my goal, but doesn't happen as often as I'd like... When it does, it's never lunch specifically for he and I. 95% of the time it's leftovers. Generally, I cook dinner for 5 instead of 3, and pack whatever we had for dinner. If there's not enough, I can always add fruit, cheese and crackers, etc...

buddyleebaby
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Our situation is a little different in that DH is away (at work) half the week and home half the week. So, on the days he is away at work as I serve dinner I take what would be his portion and freeze it in a pyrex container. Then he is home for a few days and when he has to go back, he takes the meals I had frozen for him and keeps them in his station's freezer to eat over the next few days. So although I guess it is left-overs, it's new to him. He usually also takes along with some bread, cold cuts, and fruit, and they sometimes cook meals at the station.

SnuggleBuggles
04-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I used to. Saved us a ton of $. Now, he can fend for himself. We've gone through a few phases where I did it again but not for long.

I used to pack either leftovers or a sandwich.

Beth

pb&j
04-20-2008, 08:38 PM
No. We both WOTH full time. He actually works from home in the mornings, so has a lot more time to pack his own lunch before he leaves for the day. I already pack mine and DS's.

AngelaS
04-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Dh takes a packed lunch of leftovers every day.

Generally after supper, whoever's cleaning up just puts his meal into a plastic container and into the fridge. :)

LD92599
04-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes, I pack lunch for DH every day - i make & wrap the sandwich; he irons my clothes :bighand:

I keep a box of Boca Burgers on hand at work for myself along w/ a bag of light rolls.

bethie_73
04-20-2008, 09:28 PM
DH packs it, he knows what he wants ;)

That said we try to have him bring a lunch just like DS and I try to eat at home. (with moving we have been eating out alot and I am so sick)

He really likes Lean Cuisine, so I try to have a selection in case. I also try to cook extra dinner so that he can bring leftovers if possible. He doesn't like sandwiches, but since he has IBS it is one of the few things he can eat. I also do tuna and pitas, hummus and flat bread, etc. Alot of the same things I'd do for DS. :)

bubbaray
04-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Bwahahahahaha. It's enough that I manage to get DS out the door with a packed lunch. ;)

:yeahthat:

I can't imagine making my DH's lunch, unless I was so tired in the morning (or night before) that I couldn't count and accidentally dropped food into his lunch bag!

We both WOTH FT and, of course *I* am the only one who is physically and mentally capable to make the girls lunches. I've asked him in the past and they end up taking a single granola bar to daycare for the day. Yeah, that will tide them over. Till snack time. And, no, he has never EVER made my lunch in all the years we've lived together.

We both always and I mean ALWAYS take our own lunches. Even if there is a work lunch (rare), we both take a lunch that ends up being snacks. Often its leftovers, sometimes its a bagel with cream cheese or a sandwich. We take a couple pieces of fruit, a granola bar or two, a small yogurt. We also ate protein bars when training for races at about 4pm so that we would have some energy for nighttime workouts. We've never done the frozen dinner thing. Most are pretty high in sodium and additives that I can't pronounce.

egoldber
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
No. He's 40, he can pack his own lunch. And he is so seriously picky that I'm just not dealing with it. (He generally won't eat leftovers for example.) He doesn't want me to either so I'm not depriving him LOL!!

We have both (in the last couple months) made a huge attempt to start eating in a more healthy way again. I'm giving him advice and suggestions on how to choose healthier options, so that's my contribution. ;)

DrSally
04-20-2008, 11:55 PM
I used to when he worked regular hours. It saved a lot of $$, and the cafeteria at his place of work was not so great. I usually did a coldcut sandwich, fruit, and carrots or yogurt. He would eat the fruit for a snack around 10 am and the carrots on the way home. Sometimes I would do a chef salad with coldcuts and put the dressing in a snack baggie, so he could snip off a corner to get it out. If I made something good for dinner the night before, I might pack it, but he had this thing about not wanting to microwave stuff at work for some reason. Sometimes I would also do the coldcuts and veggies in a wrap.

ETA: I mostly did it b/c DH would never do it himself and then he could eat healthier and better, and save quite a bit of $$

kijip
04-21-2008, 02:59 AM
I see/hear this asked a lot and I have often wondered: What exactly is there beyond leftovers, sandwiches (or a variation on a sandwich like a wrap) and salads? Is any one so organized and possessed of so much extra free time that they cook up separate special meals for their spouses, themselves or kids just to consume around 12noon? In short, what the heck is wrong with leftovers and who dislikes all sandwiches? :ROTFLMAO: The only other options are tv dinners or take out and neither of those can be a daily thing for both health and frugality.

I pack leftovers and sandwiches for all of us. Leftovers are easy and we plan to have them to cover lunch a lot. We do a lot of different kinds a sandwiches, including a number with smoked fish and that seems to work. T (4 yo son) usually gets a sandwich or wrap, a dairy thing (cheese or yogurt), a piece of fresh fruit, carrots, and some sort of snack food item like sesame crackers, veggie booty, kids clif bar or the like. Occasionally he will get leftovers. J and I get leftovers 3 days out of 4 and sandwiches 1-2 days, take out 1 time per week or less.