PDA

View Full Version : Carrier for travel

rkvm
04-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi,

We will be doing quite a bit of international travel in June and I feel that wearing the baby would be safe, convenient and comfortable. Right now we're using a stroller, but I would love to wear our DD. She is 28in and 19lbs. I'm not sure if BW is only for infants, please pardon my ignorance. If it is possible to wear my DD, could you please advice on what would be the best way to do it? And also for how long is BW possible?

Thanks in advance!!!!

csnoop
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
I wear DD in my Ergo. She is almost the exact same size as your DD. That said, if you haven't worn DD in some type of carrier before, she may not like it right away. Ergo is quite pricey. I would probably try out the carrier w/DD (at a store) and see what she thinks about it before making the purchase. Also, depending on where you are going, it be get really hot in the Ergo (or any carrier).
CC

deannanb
04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
these two sites give you a bunch of information on babywearing in general

www.mamatoto.org

www.thebabywearer.com

here is the link from mamatoto about using a shawl - I use a large piece of fabric - the picture shows you how to tie the wrap.

http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=86

I tried the moby wrap - which is very good - but returned it when I discovered a simple piece of fabric. This page gives you instructions on how to use it. If you think Baby Bjorn but with fabric it helps.
http://www.mobywrap.com/t-instructions.aspx

here is the link from babywearer on how to make your own sling...
http://www.thebabywearer.com/lists/Sewing.htm

making Mei Tais

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/FrankenKozy.htm

http://www.bradley-etheridge.com/MaeMeiTai.htm

carolinamama
04-23-2008, 12:00 PM
We did quite a bit of international travel with ds when he was 7-10 months old. He was average size but I don't remember the exact weights. We loved the Ergo for traveling with him. Both dh and I walked around many European cities wearing him on both our fronts and backs with very little discomfort. 19lbs is certainly within a comfortable weight to carry a child for even extended times in a good carrier. DS slept so well in it with the sleeping hood too.

I am not sure where you are traveling, but we also took a stroller with us (a Mac Quest) and it worked well since it would have gotten tedious to carry him all the time as we were on the go almost all the constantly. The Ergo folded nicely into the basket below the stroller if we ventured out with both.

citymama
04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Ergo is perfect at that size, and great for travel. We still regularly carry our 28 lb, 36 inches 2 yr old daughter in our Ergo on public transit, hikes, and when we travel. I would highly recommend an Ergo.

rkvm
04-24-2008, 12:37 AM
We're travelling to Singapore and India. It will probably be 80-90F at that time and humid. The places we go to might be crowded, that's why I'm looking to carry the baby as opposed to the stroller. Do you still think an Ergo would still be a good option?

Thanks!!!!

csnoop
04-30-2008, 12:30 PM
It is never at the 80s around our place and definitely not humid. Even so, my tummy can get kind of sweaty carrying DD in an Ergo. My guess is that it is not going to be that "pleasant" with whatever carrier you use. I would second the PP to bring an umbrella stroller (preferably a cheap, dingy one that you can toss after the trip) with you. Then you can switch off putting the baby in the stroller or carrier.

citymama
04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
We're travelling to Singapore and India. It will probably be 80-90F at that time and humid. The places we go to might be crowded, that's why I'm looking to carry the baby as opposed to the stroller. Do you still think an Ergo would still be a good option?

Thanks!!!!

We used our Ergo to travel with our daughter to India when she was 10 months. Carrier was definitely a better way to go than stroller (personally, I feel it always is until they start to get too heavy!) and the Ergo was perfect. One other word of advice - carry (and use) baby-safe mosquito repellant at all times, and a broad-brimmed sunhat! My daughter came back covered in bug bites despite the repellant (California Baby just doesn't cut it with the Indian bugs!) even though we were there in January when it's not so hot or rainy.

hobie
04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Something with solarveil is a great option....it is an extreamly cool, breathable, and spf rated fabric.

tylersmama
04-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I agree with the pps who said Ergo is the way to go. I love my Ergo, it makes traveling a breeze. I usually travel by myself with DS, so I strap him on my back leaving my hands free for pushing/pulling stroller/luggage/whatever. you can also do a hip carry with it, which is nice sometimes, and might be a little cooler than a back or front carry.

maestramommy
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Adding my thumbs up to an Ergo and bringing the umbrella stroller so you have options. Also, I would dress your child with long but thin breathable clothing. Somehow the mosquitos in Asia don't care about our bug repellants. When I went to Taiwan several years ago I covered myself with DEET before getting off the bus. Within minutes I got 2 bites.

JacksMommy
05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
As you've probably noted, babywearing is DEFINITELY not just for infants! You can comfortably carry your child for until at least s/he is 3 years old or 30-35 lbs.

The ERGO is a great option for travel. They are not super cool, but wearing your baby is never quite as cool as using a stroller. But I can't imagine pushing a stroller on super crowded streets and uncertain pavement. So I think babywearing is a great option.

A mei tai is another good option - many of them are more compact that the Ergo. And you will see a lot of them around Asia! Sachi makes a solarweave mei tai that might be a bit cooler and also offer sun protection.

I also love a pouch for a simple hip carry, particularly if you have a child who likes to get up and down a lot.

Let us know what you decide!