PDA

View Full Version : Buy carrier BEFORE or AFTER baby arrives?

tmarie
04-21-2008, 07:32 AM
I am in full nesting mode and trying to get everything done. This is my second child so I don't have a shower to wait for. With my first dd I borrowed an old bjorn but didn't really use/need it. This time I would like to have an Active Bjorn or Ergo, as well as a hotsling. Is it impractical to buy these before baby arrives though, not knowing whether or not she will like them?

TIA!

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 7/08

sidmand
04-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Any chance you can borrow them to see if your baby likes them before buying? I bought (almost) every sling known to man for DS and he HATED all of them. The only one he would tolerate is the Bjorn...the one he was supposed to dislike the most.

Can the Ergo or Bjorn be used with a new new baby? I'm a carrier newbie (since DS never did take to them) but I've been using the peanut shell, hotsling, and kknap (sp?) with DD so far and so far so good, but DH has forbidden me from getting any new ones! :ROTFLMAO:

wellyes
04-21-2008, 09:55 AM
In theory, after. But when is there the opportunity to go shopping with a newborn? LOL

I have a Moby, perfect for newborns - very snuggly.

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I would grab a sling or wrap now and then wait on any others. If you can find a NINO (nine in, nine out) group in your area itwould be great to go even while still pg and look at the choices and get their expertise for what size to get. I had walked in to my 1st NINO meeting holding my size 4 Hotsling (chose it when 8m pg and based it on the size guide) and they talked me into a 2. They could tell by looking at me that once I wasn't pg anymore a 2 would be great for me and they were right. :) Some stores have good staff so it might be helpful to at least look at b&m stores before buying on line.

Beth

MommyAllison
04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Definitely before, IMO. DD wanted to be held constantly from day 1, and I didn't get my first pouch until she was 7wks old - way too long! You don't need to go crazy beforehand, but I think a pouch/ring sling or a wrap (like a Moby) that is generally well liked for newborns is great to have on hand from the start. We've got 2 pouches, a Moby, and a MeiTai for the new baby and I can't wait to use them with a tiny tiny babe. :)

tmarie
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
I really like the look of the Moby wrap but am concerned about it being 'hot' to wear during the summer. Granted, I will be in air conditioning a lot of the time. Any thoughts on this? TIA!!

tmarie

ahrimie
04-23-2008, 12:24 AM
i've been thinking about the moby too! i'm 37 weeks along.... and embarassingly already have 2 carriers :( (one was a gift, one i bought). and already, i'm thinking i have to buy the moby! :P

GeekLady
04-23-2008, 09:27 AM
I really like the look of the Moby wrap but am concerned about it being 'hot' to wear during the summer. Granted, I will be in air conditioning a lot of the time. Any thoughts on this? TIA!!

tmarie

What's so interesting about the moby is that it covers so much of your torso that you could wear it and the baby around the house as a shirt.

firsttimemama
04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I would try to get a hotsling type sling before baby arrives

when they are newborn is when that type is most helpful IMO! I wish I had had mine to use with my DS when he was that age

I bought mine from a WAHM and it was cheaper than a hotsling

You could also look for one used & just wash it!

DrSally
04-24-2008, 03:08 PM
I'd say before. I've heard you should start them as early as possible in it, so they get used to it. I tried DS at 4 months, but he didn't like it at all. Once you have the baby, you'll be so busy to even think about it. I just got a hotsling and will use it for the newborn stage for sure.

HIU8
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I had a Baby Bjorn when DD was born. I used it pretty much immediately. She loved being in it. However, I also found that she would do a sling as well (I didn't get one until she was a couple of months old though). I tried the Bjorn with DS but he hated it (didn't try it with him until he was over 3 months though--he was used to just being carried).

maestramommy
04-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I hear a lot of recs for a hotsling and a wrap like Moby to start with. One for easy in and out, and one for carrying for longer periods. Arwyn was born in May and it was rather hot, but I did still use my wrap when we went out. I wrapped her up before leaving the house, then popped her out to put her in the car, and popped her back in when whe got to our destination. It was pretty easy because of the stretch. When we went to church I used my ring sling because it was prettier and easier for nursing.

JacksMommy
05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I think baby carriers are much like strollers - you want to have at least one on hand right away for the first few weeks (before you are likely to get out of the house much) and you are more than likely to buy at least one more in time, when you find out what you and baby really want/need.

I second recommendations for either a pouch/ring sling and a stretchy wrap. A stretchy wrap is super comfortable and baby feels almost weightless in it. Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Stretch wraps are very similar to the Moby, but are lighter-weight (and therefore cooler) and more supportive so you can also wear baby on your back in one, which is great if you are running around after a toddler!

A ring sling or pouch (like Hotsling) is super easy on/off and good for quick errands. They are also very simple, which many people appreciate.

If you're still considering between the ERGO or the Active Bjorn, I say go with the ERGO, no contest. The ERGO can be used with kids up to 4 or 5 years old, while the Bjorn's use time is MUCH shorter. Also, almost everyone finds the ERGO comfy but a lot of people find the Bjorn uncomfortable, especially as baby gets heavier (even the Active version).

HTH -let us know what you decide!