PDA

View Full Version : Laundry help!!! Pine Tree Sap??

Twoboos
04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Did some yardwork yesterday and my fav sweats now have sap "stains" on them. Since it took 3 washings to get it off my hands, I'm worried about the clothes. I am so mad at myself, obviously I should have worn junky stuff!

Anyway, any tips for getting this out??? I haven't tried anything yet, but have zout, dawn dish detergent, and zout/oxy spray on hand.

TIA.

cvanbrunt
04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm afraid your favorite sweats are stained. You could use a solvent like toluene but its probably not worth it.

Twoboos
04-21-2008, 12:29 PM
GAH! Say it isn't so!!

I actually just dug up a bottle of Carbona Stain Devil, and they have one that says it does tree sap (#10). I am a little more hopeful... must get to the store today!!

Any other thoughts/ideas are welcome!

lisams
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
If you find something, let me know! One of DD's shirt has sap on the back - I've washed it three times and can't get it out.

Mermanaid
04-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I had always heard hairspray works on sap. Tried it on my car and it did the trick but I am not sure about clothing. Guess it can't really hurt to try, right?!

Twoboos
04-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Of course I can find Carbona Stain Devils in formulas 1-9, but not 10! Will try a few more places tomorrow.

I am going to try hairspray, thanks for the idea. I also found this site,

http://www.clothingdictionary.com/stain_removal_guide.htm scroll down to Pine Resin, Sap from Christmas Tree, Wreaths, etc.

MamaMolly
04-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Of course I can find Carbona Stain Devils in formulas 1-9, but not 10! Will try a few more places tomorrow.

I heard JoAnne's crafts has a good selection of Carbona. HTH

shilo
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
i'm sure i wasn't supposed to use it on microfleece, but when DH got sap on the sleeve of his mountain hardware coat (not cheap) this year while bringing in the xmas tree, i used goo gone. once the sap was gone, i used zout and put it thru the machine to get the goo gone out. the combo worked and didn't leave a stain. if nothing else works, and you're willing to risk it to try and save the sweats, i'd try the goo gone.

i made him wear an old coat to go cut the tree, but of course when he went to bring it inside a few days later, he puts on his good coat, sigh.

lori

infocrazy
04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, I don't know about on clothes but I can tell you that peanut butter did a great job of getting a HUGE mess of tree sap out of my hair! I was screwing in the Xmas tree and managed to rub my head all the way down a branch, which was apparantly covered in sap!!! I had DH (who got a big kick out of it!) put the peanut butter in my hair and then took a really hot shower...came right out!

Now, I don't know if the peanut butter will stain the clothes anyway so I would use this a last resort...