PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland stroller question

mom2ethan
04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
We are headed to Disneyland next month (first trip) with our 2.5 yo and 5 yo. We are flying down and staying at the Candy Cane Inn. My plan is to walk to/from the park and use the hotel's shuttle if needed.

I cannot decide what to do about a stroller. I think my 5 yo (45 lbs) will probably want to ride for some of the time, especially if we walk to/from the park. My 2.5 yo (33 lbs) will definitely need a stroller. Right now I do not have a double. I'd love to find a used one to take or borrow one, but I have no idea what would be our best bet. My 5 yo is too big for some of the doubles I've seen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Susan

s7714
04-22-2008, 12:32 AM
With all the walking you'll be doing at DL, I'd take the shuttle and forego the long walk from the hotel to DL! Most of the shuttles are free anyway, although I don't know if that hotel's is.

I'm prefer to rent or take cheapo umbrella strollers so I don't have the stress if they get lost/stolen or damaged. I'm probably in the minority though, since there's usually swarms of pricey strollers sitting unattended outside the rides. I'd recommend looking on your local Craigslist for a used double--I know people frequently post them on my local one for pretty cheap or even free (especially well used joggers).

My 5 year old can make it an entire day at DL without needing a stroller and minimal carrying, but at times I have wished we had a stroller so she'd have a place to sit while we're waiting in line or something.

Tondi G
04-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Your 5 year old will fit in the rentals. They are single baby joggers... my overgrown almost 7 year old can still fit!

If you can swing buying a used double jogger or borrow something then you might be able to walk... if not I would take the shuttle. After a long day in the park I doubt your 5 year old will want to walk back to the hotel!!!

mom2ethan
04-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the replies! Since this is our first time going, I'm not sure what to expect. I've read that the shuttles fill up quickly so I thought it might be easier to walk back and forth from the hotel -- with a stroller for the kids. I hope this isn't true for our hotel's shuttle and we'll be able to easily take it.

After reading some more, I think we'll take two umbrellas instead of looking for a double. We've got a sturdy but old umbrella stroller and I can borrow another. We were just at a small amusement park this weekend and my 5 year old wanted to ride in the stroller after just an hour there!

Thanks,
Susan

wendmatt
04-23-2008, 06:12 PM
We did not take a stroller for our 5yo DD and she did great all day. DH drove us to the entrance and then we walked in and he took the car back to the hotel and ran up, took 10 mins. The day was fine without a stroller but she fell asleep during the fireworks and we had to take turns carrying her home as DH couldn't be bothered to go and get the car! I think the Candy cane inn is fairly close.
Friends of ours just went to DW and they took 2 cheap umbrella strollers for their 6yo and 4yo and said that it was a great thing to do. It's fairly pricey to rent strollers now.
Hope you have a fantastic time, we were there in March and it was truly wonderful.

s7714
04-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I've read that the shuttles fill up quickly so I thought it might be easier to walk back and forth from the hotel -- with a stroller for the kids. I hope this isn't true for our hotel's shuttle and we'll be able to easily take it.

In my experience they don't fill up nearly as fast during the non-summer months, but they always seem to be a little crowded right at opening and closing times regardless.