PDA

View Full Version : How to keep door shut

oneontheway
04-21-2008, 01:02 PM
I need a solution to keep the door to the basement shut yet functionable. We have 2 teenagers and 2 little ones. The big kids go up and down and forget to shut the door so I need some type of spring that forces the door to shut on its own so the baby wont' fall down the stairs.
Anyone have suggestions for us?
Thanks!!

ellies mom
04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I would go to a hardware store and ask them. I'm sure they could lead you right to what you need

egoldber
04-21-2008, 03:44 PM
I need some type of spring that forces the door to shut on its own

I really wouldn't do that. That sounds like a recipe for broken or bruised fingers. I think a better solution is to reinforce to the teenagers to close the door/gate behind them. My 6 year old has learned this rule.

o_mom
04-21-2008, 04:09 PM
I really wouldn't do that. That sounds like a recipe for broken or bruised fingers. I think a better solution is to reinforce to the teenagers to close the door/gate behind them. My 6 year old has learned this rule.

:yeahthat:

Any kind of 'self-closing' door is immediately considered a toy around here and played with until fingers get pinched.

If they can't keep it closed, I would suggest a gate either at the stairtop or somewhere else that blocks acesss to the stairway. IME, people are more likely to remember to close a gate than a door.

oneontheway
04-23-2008, 07:50 AM
I think you all are probably right. A gate is probably the right solution. I just worry about them being lazy and climbing over it and falling down the stairs. But better than the baby. Its funny because I can train my 2 1/2 year old much quicker and easier than the two teenagers... and I'm really not kidding!
Thanks.