PDA

View Full Version : Will I notice much gas savings trading my Sienna for a Mazda5?

aidansmommy
04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Right now we're driving a 6 cyl. Toyota Sienna and we're considering trading it in for a 4 cyl. Mazda 5. I like the Sienna but with my family of 4 I think we could comfortably get away with a smaller car, and the Mazda 5 looks like it might be a good fit. I sometimes have a tough time figuring out what a difference in MPG will actually save me at the pump--which is getting more important as I commute 40 minutes each way to work. From my research it seems the Mazda gets about 21 mpg city, 27 hwy--the Sienna is 17/23.

Would it be worth it for me to trade?

Also, if you have a family vehicle that you like that comfortably fits 2 adults, 2 kids in car seats, with enough room for a double stroller, shopping bags, etc. and that is good on gas, let me know what you have!

kep
04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Also, if you have a family vehicle that you like that comfortably fits 2 adults, 2 kids in car seats, with enough room for a double stroller, shopping bags, etc. and that is good on gas, let me know what you have!

I want to know, too! Sorry I don't have any specific words of wisdom regarding your question, though!

maestramommy
04-21-2008, 01:22 PM
We have an Accord (05), and it fits 3 adults comfortably, and 2 carseats. I'm pretty sure the trunk is big enough for a double stroller as well, although we don't have one. If you wanted to put shopping bags in there as well, it might be a tight squeeze and finagling, but you could probably do it, depending on what kind of stroller you have. It's a 4 cylinder stick, and on paper gets 26 miles on hwy, but Dh took it on a road trip a few months back and it got 30.

I think my BIL traded his Integra for a Mazda5 several months ago because they had their first kid. I think they're pretty happy with the extra room.

daisy1234
04-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Ok...doesn't the Sienna get better mileage on the highway...I have seen people getting up to 25-28???? I have heard it is usually cheaper just to drive the car they own....rather than trade. I also think you may really miss the room in the Sienna...and also the very good reliability....Mazda just doesn't have the best relibility...though some folks have done ok with Mazda...it just isn't a Toyota! Good luck in your decision! I just keep thinking gas will just freeze!

Davids-Coco
04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
mazda has great reliability. We love ours and have owned four now. I traded up for a cx-7 about two years ago and its a dream. The mazda 3 we had before for DH was about 4 and had over 15000 on it with no problems. Again we needed something bigger for him with the size of car seats ;) I think the mazda brand will treat you well... We have been eyeing the 5s as our family gets bigger.

WatchingThemGrow
04-21-2008, 02:25 PM

I've heard that too about the car you currently drive is always going to be the cheapest.

We ended up finding a one-year-old Honda CR-V on CL right when we needed it. The owner was moving to Brooklyn and hated to let it go. We were lucky, because there aren't a ton of newer model ones on the market. I believe it gets 21-23/ 26 mpg. It fits the 4 of us comfortably, plus I can squeeze through to the back seat if needed. Buckling between the 2 Marathons is tight. My Baby Jogger City Double fits in the back with plenty of room for DD's little potty, reusable shopping bags, an extra single stroller. Somehow, there is still enough room for at least $100 worth of stuff from Sam's (more if I don't have multiple bags in the rear floorboard. We ordered some bars for the top for like $120 and can put our 16 ft. multi-person kayak up there. In the future, that may be where we put one of those canvas luggage bags if needed. Our kayak seats, life vests, etc. fit in the wheel well. I can't believe I like it as much as I do!

daniele_ut
04-21-2008, 02:32 PM

The 2005 Chevy Malibu will fit either a Sit N Stand Plus or a MBUD in the trunk with room left over for shopping bags, etc. It comfortably fits a FF or RF marathon and a Chicco KeyFit 30. It gets about 27 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving.

kijip
04-21-2008, 03:23 PM
We have a 2005 Toyota Camry. I have a Regent in there now, with the RF Wizard. In the trunk there have often been two strollers (not a double, but I have never owned a double) and groceries or a costco run plus my cubes of work papers and files and supplies for clients. With 2 car seats in, it is still comfortable for 2 adults up front. We get 30+ hwy and 25 or so in the city. I can drive to work every day on a couple of gallons a week.

niccig
04-21-2008, 05:00 PM
We're looking at a Mazda 5 or a CRV. The lease on my car is up, so we need to look for something else. I would crunch the numbers to work out if you would be saving anything - have to factor in what you would get for your car, what the car payment would be, interest etc.

jenjenfirenjen
04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Honestly, I have a Mazda 5 and I wouldn't recommend it. We decided to lease ours for 3 years because we were unsure about how well it would hold up and didn't want to be stuck trying to sell a piece of poo. It's an OK vehicle but we're really glad we didn't buy it. And when the lease is up, we'll be getting a Sienna. I'm sure some other Mazda vehicles are fine but the Mazda 5 feels very cheap and flimsy and the gas mileage is pretty crappy considering how sluggish the engine is.

cvanbrunt
04-21-2008, 09:13 PM

I have a Volvo sedan with two car seats. I have a 50 mile highway commute and get 30/31 mpg.