PDA

View Full Version : I had my baby!

american_mama
04-21-2008, 02:53 PM
It's a boy! I tried posting yesterday with the news that I had my son but I couldn't find the words, so I'll be briefer here (yeah, right!).

DS was born April 13 at 2:58 pm weighing 7 pounds 6 ounces, 20 inches long, 13.5 inch head. Labor started that morning with regular contractions, easily managed by me just doing some regular household chores, and we went to the hospital around 1:30 pm to find I was almost 8 cm. My midwife, who I never had a great rapport with during my prenatal care, was wonderful during labor, although mostly in the background since DH was more wonderful still.

I spent most of my labor in the tub, which wasn't too helpful since the tub was so small and I kneeled in it most of the time, thus wasn't in much of the water. I did a few pushes in there, just enough to get to the point of thinking "Oh sh**, those were just practice pushes and these are changing to real ones and they HURT!" When I got on the bed, I had just enough time to ask them to adjust it before one huge contraction came and I started to scream and push until the scream literally died in my throat and I was still pushing. I was thinking "Gethimoutgethimoutgethimoutwhyisn'theout?" and then suddenly he was!

Afterwards, my midwife said he was slow to rotate his shoulders, which I think his why I felt like he had three heads. She said he came out on a wave of amniotic fluid like a surfer and while I have no idea what that means, it sounds adorable and I love my midwife for laughing about it. He came out peeing and pooping, plus the amniotic fluid, and she and DH got really wet, but didn't mind.

DS had some jaundice complicated by ABO incompatibility, just like DD2, but it was treated with an extra day of lights in my room, so seemed much less dramatic than with DD2. With the exception of a half a day, he has been an exceptionally easy baby so far. I am sure the other shoe will drop eventually.

DD1 thinks he is cute, but she's much more interested in her own life. DD2 thinks he's fascinating, but she has to be watched to make sure she doesn't poke him or, more worrisome, drag him out of his bassinett and move him someplace else. She's done that three times already.

The labor felt very different than my others, more negative to be honest. Since this is my last child, I think I wanted to savor the last days of pregnancy and the hours of labor, but instead I just wanted them to go away. I am still puzzling my reaction out.

Many thanks for all your well wishes!

caleymama
04-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Congratulations Karen! I'm so happy for all of you! What a gorgeous name you chose.
Enjoy your little bundle of boy :love-retry: :stork-boy: :love-retry: and all of the wonderful newborn sights, sounds, and smells that come with him.

Melanie
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Congratulations!

o_mom
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Congratulations! He sounds wonderful. :)

Clarity
04-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Congratulations!!

strollerqueen
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Aw, big congrats, Karen! I'm so happy for you! :) I know I was due after you, but my little dude decided to come several weeks early, after my water broke. I just saw your PM btw, thanks! And sure, whenever you are up to it. Absolutely no hurry! I am so sleep deprived now, and still trying to finish up our new house and plan our move, lol!

elektra
04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Congratulations!

octmom
04-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Congratulations on your baby boy, Karen! Welcome August James!

KBecks
04-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Congrats! I want to hear all about having 3 kids, later, when you've gotten more rest. :)

ThreeofUs
04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Welcome, August James!

Sounds like a wonderful birth experience - congratulations, Karen!

HannaAddict
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Congratulations Karen!! It sounds like your labor and delivery went really smoothly and that he is a love. What a great name too. I hope he's as easy going and mellow as my little guy was way back when so you can conserve your energy to take care of three kiddos. :)

Kimberly

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Congratuations! Welcome to the world, August!

You did a great job! Enjoy your newest addition and I hope everyone adjusts well. :)

Beth

elizabethkott
04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Many congratulations, Karen!
May you enjoy your "little surfer"!!!

deborah_r
04-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Conggratulations Karen! Welcome to the world, little guy!

MamaMolly
04-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Congrats! Enjoy your babymoon!