PDA

View Full Version : flying while pregnant

steven888
04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi everyone, can anyone give me some advice? I've been wanting to take my wife on a small vacation to get away from work and relax a little bit. Originally, I wanted to fly to California or Vegas, but she thought it would be too far to travel. So instead, we were talking to some friends who live in Chicago and thought it would be nice to get together with them for 4-5 days.
1. Can anyone tell me if there any dangers in flying, say 2-4 hours while pregnant. My wife will be approx. 7 months pregnant in July, and I wanted to plan the vacation then. Is there anything that I need to be concerned about as far as her health? She has always been nervous to fly. Now that she is pregnant, she is even more scared. She would actually prefer to drive 12-16 hours instead. (Which I think will make her even more uncomfortable.)
2. Secondly, she is not 100% sure that she even wants to go on a vacation. Am I being insensitive in trying to get her to go on the trip, or should I just give up and have her give into her fear? I don't want to take her feelings lightly, by any means, but I really think that she can fly without any problems. More importantly, I think that she needs this vacation. god knows, I need it!

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steven

shilo
04-21-2008, 10:50 PM
hi steven, and welcome,

what a great DH you are to be planning this for your DW. my advice would be to go with her feelings. 7 months may be later than her OB (and the airlines) would let her fly anyway. absolutely, take a 'vacation' for both of you before the baby comes, but maybe reconsider the location? if she wants to drive, why not consider something within an hour or two away? what about a nearby bed and breakfast or a nice hotel out at the shore? you can surprise her and find something with a spa close by where she could get a maternity massage maybe? or a pedicure? stay in bed all morning, take a nap in the afternoon, order room service, read, have some nice quiet meals together, take some walks, etc. just enjoy each other. those last few months are a time to do things that will lower both of your stress and catch up on your sleep while you can!

lori

mama2g03
04-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I flew during both of my pgs, the first one when I was seven or eight months pregnant. My Drs. weren't concerned as I was not high risk and it was still early enough. Personally, I would rather do a short flight than to sit in a car for as many hours as you are saying. As far as I know there really aren't any risks associated with flying for pg women. If anything I would make sure to have your wife do some leg exercises to avoid blood clots from sitting so long in either situation. If your wife is anxious you might encourage her to talk to her OB for reassurance. Good luck and I think it's a great idea to take a last vacation with just the two of you before the baby gets here

Momof3Labs
04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
The airlines will allow her to fly at 7 months' pregnant. Her OB probably will, but she'd have to ask. I flew quite a few times in both pregnancies, and was about 10 weeks from my due date on my last trip while pg with DS2. My SIL, on the other hand, refuses to fly at all while pregnant because she is concerned about radiation exposure.

I'd just wonder how much she'd enjoy Chicago in July at 7 months' pregnant. It is hot here in July. Really hot. Sure, it's probably hot where you are too, but she wouldn't feel obligated to get out and do as much at home. Could you do it sooner, when the weather is more reasonable? Or choose a location that isn't so crazy hot in July?

ahrimie
04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
i'd totally do a vacation! i traveled during month 3, 4, and 5... and it was very manageable. for 7 months along, i think it really depends on your wife's pregnancy pains and aches because everyone's a bit different.

whenever you travel or sit in a place for a long time though, she'll need to stretch periodically and snack often.. but other than that, the flight/car-ride itself should be fine.

i also second the bed and breakfast or a spa though! i loved the times my hubby didn't have to work on weekends and we could just chill out. and the spa indulgences are VERY worth the money.. you'll have a happier and less cranky wife = happy baby! :)

big props to you though for thinking about it. my hubby tried to plan something but it never spanned out and now with only 3 weeks left, it's too late!

bubbaray
04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
From the airline's perspective, they are usually fine with women flying at 7m, best to check. Each OB/dr has different thoughts.

More importantly, though, I wouldn't recommend stressing your wife out while she's PG. If flying is stressful for her, it will be even MORE stressful while she's PG.

I actually flat out refused to go away on vacation while PG both times. I felt gross, fat, ugly and there was no way I was going anywhere near a beach.

If she d/n want to go, I wouldn't recommend you try to make her go. Best to just "go with the flow" with a PG wife....

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
We took a big vacation when I was 6mos. pg and had a great time. My midwives had no worries with me flying (it was a 5 hour flight). In my 1st pg I flew at 35 weeks and no one batted an eyelash then either. We took a car trip this past pregnancy that required a 6-8 hour drive and it was torture. No way would I choose a 12+ hour drive being 7mos. pregnant!

Some airlines would want a note from your Dr. or midwife. And it's always a good idea to have a copy of her records on hand when traveling.

I'd totally see if you can get a vacation in. Even if it has to be somewhere like in a 2 hour drive from home. Go, enjoy and have fun with just the 2 of you. :)
Beth

elektra
04-22-2008, 12:48 AM
I took a vacation while 6 months pregnant too. We flew from CA to Kauai - about a 5 hour flight. It was great and it was the last chance at relaxation before baby!
If your wife just needs a little coaxing, you can let her know that it really could be the last chance at a real, relaxing vacation for years to come.
If everything is ok with the pregnancy, her OB will likely tell her that it's no problem at all for her to fly.
However, if she's really anxious, something more low key might be better than a flight.

klwa
04-22-2008, 06:50 AM
I'd get her to talk to her OB. As others have said, some have no problems with travel at that late of a date, BUT, mine does. I'm on travel restrictions at 32 weeks (no, no issues, just their standard time frame), where they don't want me over 1 hour from the hospital. Having had several friends go into premature labor in the 32-34 week range, I completely understand their concern. And if her OB isn't agreeable, your wife probably REALLY won't be.

BeachBum
04-22-2008, 06:58 AM
We went to Europe for the first time (for 2 weeks) when I was 7 months pregnant. While I did talk to my OB about it, I didn't consider it risky at all. On a flight that long, I just made sure to get up and walk around every couple of hours.

I felt great during that time in my pregnancy and it was a wonderful trip. But only you know your wife. Some women maybe happy for that little "we are doing this and you will have fun nudge" (like me!-my husband knows just when to push), and some women may get really upset.

I do agree about the heat though and finding something a bit more low key. For me, a cooler temperature and the opportunity to relax were the best.

lowrioh
04-22-2008, 08:21 AM
MY DH and I are traveling in my 30th week. We are flying from DC to Vegas and then driving up to Zion for the week. I don't think that I would personally do a long haul flight at that stage (ie more than 8 hours) but my OB and my Neurologist both gave me the go ahead to travel. I did buy travel insurance in case we had to cancel last minute.
My dear friend flew from London to South Africa in her 7th month which is an 11 hour flight. She said it was fine but then again she flew business class.
I'd say if your wife doesn't want to go, plan something closer like a trip to a mountain cabin or a spa weekend.

steven888
04-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. The key to a successful marriage, or anything for that matter, COMPROMISE! Although, usually in our marriage, it's usually me giving in 80% and her giving in 20%. In my eyes, it's an acceptable ratio. So long as she doesn't get upset, and I get something, I'm happy. :bowdown:
It's funny, initially, she was adamant about doing everything her way, which meant staying at home until the baby was born.:32:
But as soon as I had her read all your many suggestions, she, almost immediately was able make some compromises.:applause:
Thanks to all your suggestions, she decided to first, ask her OB. I don't believe the OB will object to us travelling. She is having a "good pregnancy" so far.
I think we will still visit our friends in Chicago, but we think we will go during the last week of May instead of July. That way, she'll be more comfortable with the weather. Hmmm, maybe we can squeeze in 2 vacations before the baby comes.:wink2: (I guess I'll save that option for a later conversation).
I'll let you all know what we end up doing and how the trip goes. Please keep giving me the advise. If I know my wife, she'll revert back once she talks to one of her friends at work. Inevitably, it will be the one coworker who disagrees with me and I'll need the support of you all.

Thanks everyone!:29:

jbowman
04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
I've already flown several times during this pregnancy, and will fly to Italy in a couple of weeks (when I'm 26 weeks). I'll be staying a month and returning at 30 weeks. I am bringing all of my medical records with me, and will get up often during the flight to walk around, drink a lot of water, etc. I will also be seeing an OB while I'm abroad. I wouldn't necessarily have chosen this time to travel, but duty calls. ;) Someone has to eat all of that gelato! :)

Momof3Labs
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I'd get her to talk to her OB. As others have said, some have no problems with travel at that late of a date, BUT, mine does. I'm on travel restrictions at 32 weeks (no, no issues, just their standard time frame), where they don't want me over 1 hour from the hospital. Having had several friends go into premature labor in the 32-34 week range, I completely understand their concern. And if her OB isn't agreeable, your wife probably REALLY won't be.

Every OB has their own opinion, but this is a pretty conservative restriction unless you are going somewhere without hospitals. Travel to most major cities means that great hospitals are readily available should you unexpectedly experience pre-term labor. If you are risk for pre-term labor, then this restriction totally makes sense.

Piglet
04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I flew when I was 7 months pregnant and my OB (who was a very old, conservative OB - he retired days before my due date!) had no problem. He told me that statistically there is no increased risk of problems in Arizona than at home or in the air than on the ground. The only catch was whether *I* was comfortable being that far from help, if something did happen. I was comfortable because I knew that pregnancy wasn't an illness, that women have been giving birth in far less ideal situations than that, and that I had a very low risk pregnancy. All that combined with the prospect of not going away just me and DH for YEARS... well, that just put me over the edge. We went to Arizona for a week and had a fantastic time. My advice to any first time PG woman, is to think about being a 2nd time PG woman. When I think about all the heavy lifting, all the poor sleeping, all the running I had to do with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies that I couldn'd even imagine doing with my first... I had a friend whose hubby tied her shoes during her entire 1st pregnancy, lest she bend over and squish the baby! I can't even count the number of times I was crawling around on all fours chasing after a toddler, trying to get his shoes on and get my own shoes on during my subsequent pregnancies! She will be fine!

Melbel
04-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I travelled by air at 31 weeks during my 1st pregnancy, and at 30 weeks for my current pregnancy without any problems. I did, however, travel with my medical records and researched hospitals with level 2-3 NICU units near where we were staying, just in case. I really did not want to have to figure things out in an emergency situation. My current OB prefers for patients not to travel beyond 28 weeks, but gave me the pass considering the level of care where we were going (NYC). My prior OB had a 32 week cut-off IIRC.

You may want to consider the logistical issues if your wife were to deliver preterm. Even if there is great medical care away from home, the reality is that the baby would not be discharged for weeks/months. Considering your personal obligations at home, this could present quite a challenge. We went forward with our travel plans and had a fun time, but I was relieved to get back home too!

A May trip sounds like a great idea.

klwa
04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Every OB has their own opinion, but this is a pretty conservative restriction unless you are going somewhere without hospitals. Travel to most major cities means that great hospitals are readily available should you unexpectedly experience pre-term labor. If you are risk for pre-term labor, then this restriction totally makes sense.

It's not that unusual around here. Most of my friends & family (many of whom have gone to diff docs than me) were put on travel restrictions by 34 weeks at the latest. My SIL, who WAS at risk for preterm labor with her 4th child, was put on restric. at 28 weeks. I have no problems with mine, but having talked to all 5 docs at my practice (all female, fairly young), they all agree with the 32 week limit. With DS, I traveled at 32 weeks with work to the mountains, and they weren't happy with me, even though our hotel was within sight of a hospital.

denvergal
04-22-2008, 12:42 PM
we flew to italy when i was 7 months pregnant and we came back fine. i didn't have any complications prior to the trip so as long as she is in good health and you get the dr okay, i think it would be fine. we had a long flight so we bought this pillow at the airport brookstone and it was awesome. i sat on it when my back started to hurt, i hugged it for support, and laid on it against the window when i wanted to put my head down. 2-4 hours isn't that long but you may consider it if she has back issues. another plus was that month was the only month i didn't put on any extra weight from all the walking around! we also always came back for an afternoon nap everyday.

just keep her hydrated and have her walk around for circulation on the plane every now and then and you'll be fine! good luck! you are a wonderful dh by the way for doing this for your wife!

http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.asp?product_code=588038&search_type=search&search_words=pillow&prodtemp=t1

elephantmeg
04-22-2008, 01:26 PM
we did short drives before each delivery (7-8 months each time) and stayed at B+B's. I think each drive was 4 hours or so. We went to the OBX the first time and to Pigeon Forge the second. The B+B stay was wonderful, a good time to reconnect as a couple. We actually did go to Chicago while pregnant-but I was 13 weeks instead of 7 months.

KrisM
04-22-2008, 02:35 PM

That's pretty conservative, I think. We're at nearly an hour in good traffic just for our home. If I limit myself to an hour, I can't go to the zoo, my parents home or grocery shopping, etc. :)

strollerqueen
04-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I travelled by air at 31 weeks during my 1st pregnancy, and at 30 weeks for my current pregnancy without any problems. I did, however, travel with my medical records and researched hospitals with level 2-3 NICU units near where we were staying, just in case. I really did not want to have to figure things out in an emergency situation. My current OB prefers for patients not to travel beyond 28 weeks, but gave me the pass considering the level of care where we were going (NYC). My prior OB had a 32 week cut-off IIRC.

You may want to consider the logistical issues if your wife were to deliver preterm. Even if there is great medical care away from home, the reality is that the baby would not be discharged for weeks/months. Considering your personal obligations at home, this could present quite a challenge. We went forward with our travel plans and had a fun time, but I was relieved to get back home too!

A May trip sounds like a great idea.

That is a really good point. I was planning on traveling up north to see my family for Easter. But the week before, at 34 weeks, my water broke. I am SO glad I was at home. I am happy about the way everything was handled here, and the way it all turned out. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had been out of town, and my baby had to spend time in NICU. With my DH's work and my small children in school, it would have been a very hard time. Plus, those doctors may have had a very different approach to my situation.