PDA

View Full Version : Democrats only- who did/ will you vote for in prim.? Why?

SnuggleBuggles
04-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Not looking to start a debate, I'm just curious. :)

Beth

JTsMom
04-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Nobody wants to go first? :ROTFLMAO:

I'll bite. I'm an Obama supporter. I would have to write a novel to fully explain why, but I will say that I will absolutely vote for Clinton if it comes down to that. I don't think they are all that far apart policy-wise, but I think Obama will get more done, that he will unite the country, and I like the fact that he doesn't have as much of a "politician vibe" as Clinton does. Don't get me wront, I doubt that he's a saint, but I think Clinton has more skeletons in her closet.

almostmom
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Obama. I voted for him on Super Tuesday, and I still am a huge supporter. There are a lot of reasons for me, but the ones that stick out at the moment are the following:

He doesn't take money from federal lobbyists. Think of all the people that Clinton owes favors to, lobbyists who have given her money for this campaign and in the past? Though I believe she will get things done, as he will, I'm not sure I'd want to know about all of the back room deals she needed to make.

Second, he is inspirational and positive and brings people together. He listens to people with other viewpoints, and is a great mediator. It's not often that someone like him is an option in politics. How could I pass that up? Someone who really is hopeful, smart, thoughtful, who brings people to the table, and I know it's cliche, but doesn't divide like Hillary may. I mean, he really feels like an exciting opportunity for change in the way things are done, and man, it feels like we need that so badly. I don't believe that Hillary will change the way things are done.

Lastly, our country is in such a bad place, both internally and externally. I am worried for my children. Speaking externally, the rest of the world can not stand us, and I believe that he brings fresh ideas and values to the international community. They don't trust us, and Clinton will need to work hard to earn that trust. Just as he has inspired so many at home with his eloquence for years now, I believe he will be able to reach out to the world and show the compassion that Americans have. I believe he will make our international reputation a priority, and that is so important for our safety, IMO.

These are quickly written, but on such an important primary day, I did want to share my thoughts.

I do think they are both good candidates, and would both be great presidents. I just don't want to miss this incredible opportunity to bring Obama's vision and talent to the highest leadership role.

Clarity
04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I'll bite.

I'm in Ohio, so we already voted. And, I voted for Obama. At that time, it was a tough decision. I originally planned to vote for Hillary. However, she just carries so much baggage with her and I didn't want to see a return to the nasty press/public coverage of the Clinton years. It was just such a "VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY" (LOL). Seriously though, it was just so unpleasant and I know we'd be going there again with her as President.
Also, there IS something hopeful about Obama's positive message. It doesn't hurt that I also think that he's a brilliant man - law prof at U Chicago? yeah - brilliant. So, what he doesn't know yet, he has more than enough intelligence to surround himself with people with that knowledge and then synthesize information they provide to make his own good decisions.

citymama
04-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I'll bite. I'm an Obama supporter. I would have to write a novel to fully explain why, but I will say that I will absolutely vote for Clinton if it comes down to that. I don't think they are all that far apart policy-wise, but I think Obama will get more done, that he will unite the country, and I like the fact that he doesn't have as much of a "politician vibe" as Clinton does. Don't get me wront, I doubt that he's a saint, but I think Clinton has more skeletons in her closet.
What she said. I'm an Obama supporter but will vote Clinton in the pres. elections if it comes to it!

It make me SO miserable that we are currently in "divided we fall" mode - I can't help but think this is going to sink the election for the D's (again!), which I can't bear to think about! Let's get these primaries done already!

egoldber
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I voted for HRC in our primary. I think she's the superior candidate, but I'd support Obama in the general.

wellyes
04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Obama. I'm thrilled to have a candidate whose speeches don't insult my intelligence. He is a born leader, not just a politician.

But, like most everyone in the party, would be happy with either one.

brittone2
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Obama. I'm looking forward to voting in the NC primary in another 2 weeks or so.

I would support HRC over McCain if it came to that in the general election, however.

SnuggleBuggles
04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Obama. I'm thrilled to have a candidate whose speeches don't insult my intelligence. He is a born leader, not just a politician.

But, like most everyone in the party, would be happy with either one.

:yeahthat: I would have no problems listening to him speak for the next 4-8 years. I am optimistic that when he expresses a desire to change, he will actually try to make a change for the better.

Beth

lovin2shop
04-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Hillary voter here. Both candidates are pretty close on policy, but the scales tip for me because I believe that her vision best serves the children and thus the future of our country. I have always admired her work early in her career for the Children's Defense Fund when she could have been making a lot higher income elsewhere; and I think that she has carried the meaning of this work with her throughout her career.

purpleeyes
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I voted for HRC in our primary. I think she's the superior candidate, but I'd support Obama in the general.

:yeahthat:

And, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHnL8mUbopw

In a kinda crude way, it describes what I think about her. I also side closer to her policy-wise.

Honestly, although I would vote for Obama in the general, I will be *very* disappointed if she doesn't win the nomination.

vludmilla
04-22-2008, 12:45 PM

I totally agree.

lisams
04-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm a former Republican. I voted for Obama!

kedss
04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I voted for Hillary, though I would have voted for Edwards if he had stuck around. I will vote for Obama in November if the super delegates do what i think they will.

MontrealMum
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I am still registered to vote in Michigan - so I didn't get to vote! Not having much time with DS now to watch tv/read up, I don't have strong feelings either way, and didn't really look to develop them since we had our primary taken away. I like each one for different reasons, and have some apprehensions about both as well. I heard rumblings that they may now have a MI primary, I don't know, I am sadly out of the loop politically these days :( Getting an absentee ballot is such a PITA lately when you live out of the country (notary appointment - a totally different thing here than in the US, what to do with DS while at the notary, registered mail - what to do with DS while at the post office where there is no close parking, finding the time for the whole thing) It's pretty sad since I've always been very censorious of people (of whichever party) who don't exercise their right to vote. But I will definately get my act together with the notary so that I can vote in the big election, and I will be happy to eventually vote for whichever one wins.

mudder17
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I voted for Obama in the primaries because I think our country needs vision and inspiration and I feel like he brings that to the table. While it's true the HRC has more experience, I still feel like he is intelligent enough to get the job done when it comes right down to it. That said, I will support either one in November.

tmarie
04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I am an Obama supporter. I was very disappointed in Hillary's lack of political courage/leadership on the initial war vote. I trust Obama's judgment and adore his honesty. He talks to the voters like grown ups, which is refreshing! Before February I would have said that I would vote for Hillary if she becomes the nominee (I'm a life long democrat!), but I have really been soured by the negativity, dishonesty, and arrogance of her campaign since Super Tuesday. I am not impressed with the financial management of her campaign or the cronyism that explains her faulty campaign staffing--it frightens me when politicians rely on loyal old friends instead of seeking the best person for the job--the Bush administration has demonstrated how dangerous this can be. Finally, I am not comfortable with Bill Clinton returning to the White House. I used to love him, but have been really turned off by the way he has conducted himself during this campaign.

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 7/08

maylips
04-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Obama girl here. Not a fan of what Hillary has been doing to try to win, although I'll still vote for her over McCain. But I think Obama brings excitement to a generation of non-political people that Democrats need to win. And we need a change over Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton.

o_mom
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I will most likely be voting for Obama. Mainly because I really don't know that I could choose Clinton over McCain in the general election, where I would definately choose Obama over McCain. (I consider myself independent, but mainly lean democrat - we have an open primary here)

KBecks
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not a democrat, but I voted for a dem in our state's open primary. She lost.

C99
04-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I voted for Clinton (which is surprising, because I supported Obama's campaign for the Senate in IL), but I would be happy with either. Illinois' primary was early in the process and I wanted to back whoever had the best chance of winning. Like everyone else though, I'll support either candidate in the general election.

elliput
04-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, I lived in Michigan when the primary was held, so I was unable to vote as I would have liked. However, this is why I would not vote for Mrs. Clinton

"I have to win," Clinton told reporters. "And I'm going to do everything I can to win."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/22/pa.primary/index.html

ETA - To me, her message does not come across as about US (the general population and the United States), but about her.

vludmilla
04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
ETA - To me, her message does not come across as about US (the general population and the United States), but about her.

Not to be snarky, but I can't fathom a politician who is not all about him or herself. And frankly, I can't imagine anyone liking Obama more than he likes himself.

ETA: I can think of reasons not to vote for HRC but that quote isn't one of them. What should she have said, "Well, if I win, great, but if I lose that's okay too?" I think that would sound a little wishy-washy and maybe disingenuous. Every politician that enters a national race should be in it to win, no?

citymama
04-22-2008, 04:47 PM
However, this is why I would not vote for Mrs. Clinton

"I have to win," Clinton told reporters. "And I'm going to do everything I can to win."

Agree with poster above (vludmilla) that all politicians are self-centered, but I worry that the "dirty politics" approach of HRC is bringing down the party, and its chances of winning the election. It's the "If I don't win, I'd rather see McCain in the White House than Obama" attitude that really rankles.

Personally, I thought the Nick Kristof piece in the NYT a few days ago was right on: "Divided They Fall." http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/opinion/17kristof.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=divided+we+fall+kristof&st=nyt&oref=slogin
Nobody wins by bringing the other candidate down.

maestramommy
04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I would've voted for Obama, had the day not been so hectic that I completely forgot (eek!)

kayte
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Another Obama Mama here. I live in Texas so I got to vote for him twice. BTW it bugs me that Hillary 'claims' Texas when after the dust settled (the vote and the caucuses were tallied) Obama won more delegates.

Anyway, I think he is the best option for our country. And haven't been afraid to work the phone lines and tell voters how I feel--which is huge for me because I HATE to call people I don't know.

lovin2shop
04-22-2008, 05:04 PM
You know, I think that Hillary Clinton gets a bad rap on the dirty politics issue. In time, if you look back at this election at least up to this point, it will probably be seen as one of the most civil in history. Sure, they have each taken their pot shots, but that is different how from any other election? I just don't understand why Clinton, or Obama for that matter, should be held to a standard that no other politician has upheld. Don't get me wrong, I despise the dirty politics and wish the entire system were different, but it isn't. And, I can't help but think that at least a little bit of the resentment toward Clinton is because we are still uncomfortable as a nation with women being assertive and aggressive.

I also don't believe that the fighting is necessarily a bad thing for the democrats. Newly registered democrats are flooding in with each successive state primary. None of whom would likely be registered and ready to vote in the general election if the primarys had been the normal ho hum event, particularly in the states that in the past have been too late to matter.

citymama
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Maybe I'm showing my mommy side too much - "Play nice with your friends now, Hillary and Barack!" :D

vludmilla
04-22-2008, 07:01 PM
And, I can't help but think that at least a little bit of the resentment toward Clinton is because we are still uncomfortable as a nation with women being assertive and aggressive.

I completely agree. I feel that this underlies a good portion of the dislike of her that so many seem to have.

s7714
04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Voted for HRC in the CA primary, but could have gone either way. Even still I'm not 100% decided on HRC or Obama, but I'll be happy to vote for either in the end!

jk3
04-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Ditto. My DH voted for Hillary but will not support Obama should he be the candidate.

kijip
04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I am an Obama delegate in my area and convened my caucus. We had all Obama delegates from our precinct.

I came to the decision to support Obama just before our legislative district caucus and my decision was very impacted by the spin doctoring and negativity I saw from the Clinton campaign.

I am an unashamed liberal Democrat and will of course vote for whoever wins the nomination vs. McCain. Voting for McCain is unthinkable to me.

I personally believe that Obama is a far stronger canidate than Clinton specifically vs. McCain. 1/2+ of all Americans have a negative view of Clinton. McCain is someone many independants and Democrats like, respect and admire. I think McCain could beat Clinton. I don't think, recent polls aside (which naturally put him on top because the Dems are still split), that McCain could beat Obama in November. I have heard of, including the one poster's husband exactly TWO voters who voted for Clinton in the primary but would vote for McCain over Obama. I know of and have read about many GOP leaning independants and Republicans who support Obama. Earlier polls tended to bear this out. Clinton would be just about the only person on the planet that would/could rally the right wing (and corresponding get out the vote efforts and dollars) of the GOP around McCain.

Obama comes somewhat closer to my policy views than Clinton. I am not one to hold ego against someone, especially a national politician, but Clinton has crossed the line an several occasions for me now. Her "mis-spoken" statements (known to us regular folks as lies) exagerating her experiences are getting too numerous and she is blasting Obama for having just about the same amount of foriegn policy experience as, um, Bill Clinton did in 1991. Also, I wish she would have had the courage to run in 2004 if she felt the country needed a new leader, and her as that leader so badly. But it was not politically savvy to run in 2004 so she stayed out of it. That underscores that she is in this *primarily* "to be President" IMO. Further, her Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) brand of liberalism (ie not all that darn liberal) and vote for the Iraq war will hurt the Democrats get out the vote/base support in the fall if she is the nominee. I for one would vote for Clinton, but I can't say I would be writing checks and working full-stop on volunteering. I had a higher opinion of her last year, but now I find her pretty uninspiring.

As an assertive, agressive, strong female and leader, I know myself; my strong committment to feminism; and my personally held beliefs enough to know that Clinton is NOT losing points with me for being an aggressive woman. She is losing points with me for being a poor sport, a touch of a liar and playing the spin to a greater degree than I want to see in my ideal canidate. I have talked to some women who seem to think I owe my vote to Clinton since she is a woman and I am a feminist. Oh no, I owe my vote as a feminist to pick the best canidate regardless of gender. I owe it to my self to vote for the best canidate. I owe it to my son to vote for the best canidate as I see it. That said, I do see that she is catching flames from some for her gender and that saddens me, but it is not going to adjust my vote.

FWIW, I went into the season as an Edwards supporter. :)

Regarding Superdelegates- they know what is, and are primarily concerned with what, is good for the party. These are party officials by and large. And elected officials from states and districts Obama carried. They are not going to want to see the party suffer for being seen to "reverse" the will of the popular vote. They will go with Obama in some sort of brokered June or early July announcement. I will be flipping floored if they let it go to a split convention in August. One, they know that will be a PR disaster. Two, they know the only person that benefits is McCain. A long primary is good for the party. A brokered/split convention? Not so good in this day and age.

ETA: all of this said, I am NOT on the Obama-is-the-second-coming junk that some people seem to be spewing. In my Legislative caucus I was APPALLED at the level of hero worship some gave to his campaign and have had many conversations where I am nodding along with my HRC supporting friends on the topic of rock concert/mega church like support. One person literally said in their speech that Obam would solve AIDS, climate change, poverty, hunger worldwide etc. I am sorry, I am an Obama supporter, delegate, donor and voter. I did not join a cult and do not think that Obama can solve global warming, cure AIDS and provide a pony for everyone. He is a man, not a god. Some supporters are not doing him any favors. :)

saschalicks
04-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I voted for Obama in the primaries because I think our country needs vision and inspiration and I feel like he brings that to the table. While it's true the HRC has more experience, I still feel like he is intelligent enough to get the job done when it comes right down to it. That said, I will support either one in November.
:yeahthat:

Truth is I had a very hard time deciding, but in the end I felt that he said things that resonated w/me. However, in the end I'd be happy w/either one in the WHouse.

babystuffbuff
04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
I was leaning Mr. Obama's way already - just because of his policies, which match mine more closely than Mrs. Clinton's do - when he gave his speech in Iowa. It made my jaw drop, it made my cry, it made me understand what Deborah Kahn has been doing since The West Wing ended, it made me BELIEVE again (and I work for Congress, where it can sometimes be hard to believe in anything amidst all the bickering). I love my party, I have devoted my professional life to its service, no matter how frustrating the work is, and I will vote for whomever has a 'D' by their name in November, but I really think that we as a nation will be better off if that person is Mr. Obama.

And I also agree with Katie above - an Obama-McCain race makes me much less nervous than a Clinton-McCain race. I have personally seen Mr. Obama's appeal to non-Dems; both my father and mother-in-law are die-hard, right-wing, conservative Republicans. They both voted for the Senator from Illinois. Yes we can. :)

SnuggleBuggles
04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
ETA: all of this said, I am NOT on the Obama-is-the-second-coming junk that some people seem to be spewing. In my Legislative caucus I was APPALLED at the level of hero worship some gave to his campaign and have had many conversations where I am nodding along with my HRC supporting friends on the topic of rock concert/mega church like support. One person literally said in their speech that Obam would solve AIDS, climate change, poverty, hunger worldwide etc. I am sorry, I am an Obama supporter, delegate, donor and voter. I did not join a cult and do not think that Obama can solve global warming, cure AIDS and provide a pony for everyone. He is a man, not a god. Some supporters are not doing him any favors. :)

ITA with this well said post (the whole thing, not just this addition, but I really like this point). I also went into the primary season an Edwards' supporter.

Beth

LarsMal
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
DH and I are both Obama supporters, although he's a little more obsessed than I am. We jumped on the Obama wagon after his speech at the convention where Kerry was nominated.

It's so bad around her though (with DH) that whenever DS sees Obama on TV or in print he yells "OOOO-BAMA!". DH and I had gone to see him (and Hilary) at an event before our primary and DS knew where we were. That Tuesday, when I went to vote, DS thought he was going to see Obama. So when I finished voting and we left DS threw a major fit crying "Obama! Obama! Obama's house!" It was really funny.

A few weeks ago DH and I had an away weekend (first time away from the kids). We told DS we were going on a trip and he said, "Mommy and Daddy going to Obama's house."

It's kind of pathetic!

mudder17
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
I would've voted for Obama, had the day not been so hectic that I completely forgot (eek!)

:ROTFLMAO: I know how you feel!

MelissaTC
04-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Our primary is on May 6 and I am voting for Obama.
I threw out my HRC bumper sticker and switched awhile ago.

At the end of the day, I will vote for whichever against McCain in November. But I sure hope I am voting for Obama.