PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your thoughts on the Captian Underpants books?

daisy1234
04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
I am just curious as many boys are into these books...I have never seen one.

Piglet
04-22-2008, 10:07 AM
My DS1 just started reading them and he seems to like it a lot (or at least he giggles a lot while reading them). They have potty humour, and it doesn't bother me as long as he isn't using the humour around the dinner table.

SnuggleBuggles
04-22-2008, 10:09 AM
My DS1 just started reading them and he seems to like it a lot (or at least he giggles a lot while reading them). They have potty humour, and it doesn't bother me as long as he isn't using the humour around the dinner table.

:yeahthat: Some of the time I have cringed saying some parts of the story but ds loves them. :) Some of them are really, really funny too (especially the 1st Professor Poopy Pants one with it's name translator!).

Beth

JBaxter
04-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Young male readers seem to LOVE toilet humor I found it was a great way to get my older 2 sons to read. We had the entire series.

boys2enough
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM
As one of the PPs mentioned, as long as they don't do potty humor at home, I am fine with it. My 10 yo obviously has outgrown potty humor now, but he still loves the books.

My 5 yo hasn't started reading yet (am trying to stay calm about this...) but I know that he loves them too when DS1 reads him the books.

My own personal view is that any books that will get a child to be interested enough to start reading should be encouraged, esp. for kids that do not like to read under normal circumstances. Hopefully once you get them going, they will expand to other, more "mature" books.

We do make DS1 read more serious books other than comics. After he finishes the "serious" books, he gets to take a break, so to speak, by reading comics.

For older boys: Another book that's getting rave reviews is "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". It looks like a boy's notebook with his daily musings and drawings.

Lin

spanannie
04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
My son's Pre-K teacher thinks they are an excellent choice for boys who are resistant to reading/learning to read. I haven't personally seen the books yet, but we are just now starting on BOB books, so he's not there yet.

I am just curious as many boys are into these books...I have never seen one.

fortato
04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
DH reads them to Jack every night... Jack's not even 2 yet- but they both giggle at the "La La LAAAAAAA" part.

I think they are harmless... it's a book. Far better than a lot of the things they see on TV.

** The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is awesome. I followed it online when it came out, and it had some hilarous parts.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Nick thinks any book that has a picture of Daddy on the cover is pretty cool.
(however, I have never actually seen D in the cape).

Piglet
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Nick thinks any book that has a picture of Daddy on the cover is pretty cool.

LOL!!!!

Thanks for the mental picture...

hez
04-22-2008, 06:41 PM
DS loves 'em-- and especially loves the way DH reads them to him :)

Corie
04-22-2008, 08:06 PM
My own personal view is that any books that will get a child to be interested enough to start reading should be encouraged, esp. for kids that do not like to read under normal circumstances.
Lin

I totally agree with Lin!

MamaMolly
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Yup, when I taught 1st and 2nd it was my go-to for boys who really didn't like to read. There are so many books that seem to appeal to girls out there, but not so much for boys. For slightly older boys I also like 'My Side of the Mountain' and 'The Other Side of the Mountain', and 'The Trumpet of the Swan'.

I gotta get the Diary one. Kind of reminded me of 'The Diary of Adrian Mole' books which are for TEENS or older. Some funny as heck but naughty bits there.