PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy a furnace lately?

lilycat88
04-22-2008, 12:56 PM
We're just starting the research but will be purchasing a new furnace this summer. We have 4800 sq ft and currently have 2 furnaces. One is original to the house (1982) and has to be replaced before the fall. When we have it serviced, the guys make sure we have working carbon monoxide detectors. We just moved in September and just sold our old house so we're now in the financial place to replace at least one and probably both of the furnaces. We also need to replace 1 air conditioner but can probably wait until next summer to do that.

What's the latest and greatest. Most efficient. Etc. We'll have a couple of companies come in and give us estimates and stuff but would love to have some info going in. It's going to be a significant investment. Yikes.

Thanks,
Jamelin

khm
04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I'd look into geothermal if you are going to be there for awhile. Once the initial investment is paid off (5-7 years for our house, YMMV) you have a huge, huge savings. It's a "nice" heat too.

I want geothermal badly. I could keep the house much warmer, spend less money monthly and eliminate the super static we have around here! It's great for cooling also.

Laura Bush was on the Today show touting their ranch's geothermal system.

lilycat88
04-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks. We'll look into it. This is our "forever" house as far as we're concerned so we're definitely looking at long term investments.

Elilly
04-22-2008, 08:09 PM
My dad is a local sales rep (Indy) for both geothermal and "regular" furnaces. He really believes that geothermal is best if you are staying in the home long term. That said, he just gave my cousin a quote for their home and the geothermal was nearly 3 times what the other quote was. Efficiency etc for a regular furnace is much better than the 1987 Pulse furnace that we have. I beg my dad every fall to sell us a furnace, but he won't do it since he says ours is operating just fine and showing no signs or wear. I just don't want to be stuck with two little ones and no heat in our cold winters!
All that said, make sure that whoever is looking at replacing your system, looks at cold air return vents (especially upstairs) and runs a heat loss/gain based upon the direction your house faces, type of windows, amount of trees in your yard etc. All of those factors can really make a difference. Sorry, it sounds like I may need to get a job in heating and air myself!

muskiesusan
04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
We have geothermal as well as a traditional heat pump. We have a new build, so I have only been living with the setup for about 3 weeks, but so far I love it. We paid utilities on the house when it was under construction and the cost savings between the months geothermal was in use vs. when it wasn't was huge.