PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Costco

psophia17
04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm going next week, and haven't been in years. I always either spend way too much money, or leave virtually empty-handed, having been annoyed out of my mind by how busy it always is.

What do you get at Costco? What's there but nowhere else in Canada? Anything I should be sure to look for?

I'm trying to come at it with a plan...and a list...

Piglet
04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
The one thing we buy and buy and buy is the frozen salmon fillets. They are individually packaged and can be thawed in 15 minutes, so you can take them out just before supper and have a nice meal on the table quickly. Maybe in BC, the appeal of salmon is less than it is here in AB, but qall my friends love them for the convenience. I also buy a lot of clothes and books and Costco. Far too much of my wardrobe is from Costco and far too many of our books come from there as well. I am not sure what else is there that isn't available elsewhere.

psophia17
04-29-2008, 12:38 PM
I can walk to the fishing boats from the house, so I didn't get any this time, but maybe in the future, budget permitting...

But I did want to ask - is it Atlantic or Pacific salmon in Calgary? They were both there, and about the same price...

Piglet
04-30-2008, 11:17 AM
We have both Atlantic and Pacific, but the price is not the same - the Atlantic is a fair bit cheaper, if I recall.

Neatfreak
04-30-2008, 10:03 PM
I remember that. My theory was that the Atlantic was farmed, whereas the Pacific was wild.

(Is is silly that I am really looking forward to going to Costco this summer? So I can bring giant boxes of Cheerios back to Thailand?)

bubbaray
04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Pacific Salmon and Atlantic Salmon are different species. Atlantic salmon tastes totally different -- more blah.

I *think* if the fish is farmed it has to be stated on the label here in BC. Not sure about that. I know that Save-on-Foods always labels it. I can't remember if Costco does or not.

I've sometimes purchased salmon at Costco (but obviously no longer due to DD#2's fish anaphylaxis).

The chicken breasts are a great deal.

We like their Kirkland brand: toilet paper, paper towel, GardenBurgers....

I always get the Dannon Creamy (or is it Dairyland?) mini yogurts there. And double packs of Kraft Double Cheddar (shredded), large bricks of Kraft cheddar, butter, milk.

Bread -- OMG, I buy a ton of it there. IIRC its Orowheat or something, whole wheat with the brown label.

Dishwasher detergent, though next time I'm gonna try the new President's Choice phosphate free stuff they've been plugging on TV (even though I LOATHE shopping at SuperStore).

Other things we like: Veggie Samosas, Primo Margerita frozen pizza, rotisserie chickens, chicken pie.

If you use juice packs, they have good prices on these (we don't use them except for parties). Occasionally, they have good deals on Gatorade, we used to go through a ton of that when DH did Ironman and I was doing marathons.

They have the best prices on vitamins.

DD#1 was severely allergic to their Kirkland diapers (made by Huggies). Haven't yet tried the leftovers on DD#2 yet. We've never used their wipes -- we are a Pampers house!

Occasionally they have kids stuff -- I got a ton of Tidy Turtle bibs there just after Christmas that were PVC free. Very nice.

ALLLLL of the baby sleepers I have up to size 24m are from there. They are the nicest sleepers ever (we don't do zippers after zipping up DD#1s tummy once in the middle of the night. Ugh).

BTW, I can't stand the layout of the Costco on Bridgeport and it is crazy busy ALLLLL the time. I prefer the layout of the one on King George Hwy. Even the Langley one is laid out better. There is a new one going in in White Rock, Hwy 99 and 24th Avenue.

chinook
05-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Ooooooooohhhh I LOVE Costco!

We also buy the wild, individually frozen salmon filets.

I buy almost all of our meat there. LOVE their meat. I just started buying the three packs of whole chickens. They're a great deal. We got a vacuum sealer (also from Costco...) and it's great for freezing meat.

Bread - I usually buy Dempsters and it's half the price of Sobey's.

Cheese - I buy the huge blocks of it.

Eggs - Great deal on the omega eggs at Costco.

Produce - Again, their prices are fantastic.

Kid's PJs - Mine are out of the sleepers now but the little kid PJs are great.

Honestly, if we want something and it can be bought at Costco we get it at Costco.

Have I mentioned I really like Costco?

:)

Neatfreak
05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Are the little kids pajamas short sleeved?

bubbaray
05-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Are the little kids pajamas short sleeved?

Depends on the season. Right now they are short sleeved with shorts, a 2 pack. I think they are $15 or so. DD#1 is wearing them tonight. Apparently, they give her superhero powers, as in "I'm a superhero. I don't need to sleep".

Buyer beware.

Neatfreak
05-03-2008, 07:16 AM
That would be exactly what I'm looking for! I think I'll ask my sister to pick up a pack for M in case they're carrying something else when I'm back in Canada!

Thanks, Melissa!