PDA

View Full Version : Seeking good "bike" for tall 3 1/2 yo

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Nick has never had any kind of bike ir big wheel type toy. He sat on the Radio Flyer type trikes in Target and these seen hard to pedal for him. What type of "bike" is appropriate for this age, easy to pedal and can accomodate long legs? Many thanks!

Melanie
04-23-2008, 02:54 PM
You're not looking for a bike or anything are you? LOL. (referring to the glitch of the three posts).

Anyway, I don't know, I just wanted to tease you. ;) Don't go to TRU. We got Ds' there and it weighs a ton. I wish we'd done a little more research and paid a bit more for something lighter weight. Having said that, it didn't do him much good until he spent about 5 months on a balance bike. THen he hopped on his two-wheeler and rode off. I'd get a balance bike instead. There, that's my advice. I can't believe ChunkyNick is 3 1/2!!!

o_mom
04-23-2008, 02:56 PM
If he is tall, you may want to look at the Trek Float - it's a balance bike that can be converted to a pedal bike. There are some threads in Around The House about it.

BeachBum
04-23-2008, 03:44 PM
I think your son is a bit old to just be getting a trike now at 3.5, but a little young to be moving to a real bike with training wheels...especially if he doesn't have any experience riding a bike. You are really in that in between stage.

My advice would be to get a cheap trike and plan to replace it in a year, or get a balance bike.

If you really want to go with a substantial trike, we've been happy with our schwinn roadster http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455248743949 01
My son is 39 inches and doesn't appear to be outgrowing it anytime soon. For us it was a good compromise on the kettler (air tires, but cheaper and no push bar).

KrisM
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM
DS had such a hard time peddling a trike last year. We got him a small bike with training wheels and he jumped on and rode without a problem. We went to a bike store, so he could try different sizes, etc. We got this one just before his 3rd birthday and he still fits fine on it now that he's turning 4 next week. Now, he's about 42" tall and is not too tall for it.

We recently bought a balance bike for DD. She has little interest in it, but DS likes it for small bursts. He prefers the pedal bike though.

almostmom
04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Is a 4 1/2 year old too old for a balance bike? His handed down bike with training wheels seems high and unsteady for him, and he's been biking around on a big wheel for years. Maybe he just needs practice, but it makes me nervous!

Momof3Labs
04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
My oldest is very tall. Through last summer (just before he turned 5), his favorite mode of transportation was his Big Wheel (about $25 at Target). He never had a trike. The Big Wheel is now too small, but he's also 50" or so tall, so it lasted a good, long time. He had a bike with training wheels also from Target, but didn't really get into it until this summer, and he is about ready to ride without the training wheels.

So, if you are looking for a budget solution to fill the gap for this summer and next, then I'd suggest a Big Wheel.

kimberley-k
04-23-2008, 05:59 PM
DS is tall and just got a Big Wheel for his 4th b-day. He absolutely loves it! He has probably already used it more than the expensive Kettler trike he received as a gift 2 years ago. And, the Big Wheel will fit him for at least another year.

-Kim

spanannie
04-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I would not buy the bike at a kids' store/toy store. He's ready for a training-wheel-type "real" bike at this age. I would take him to a bike shop and see which bike fits him best. It all depends on the child. If you don't have a good local bike shop, REI carries good bikes, too.

Nick has never had any kind of bike ir big wheel type toy. He sat on the Radio Flyer type trikes in Target and these seen hard to pedal for him. What type of "bike" is appropriate for this age, easy to pedal and can accomodate long legs? Many thanks!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! We went to look at the Trek Float today and it is sooo cool!!! However, Nick is about an inch or so too short for it and while I was looking at it both he and Kate had jumped on Trek Trikesters and were making general mayhem of the bike shop. So Nick got the Trikester ( which I have to say is the neatest looking trike I have seen) and will get the Float in a few months when he grows, at which time the Trikester will become Kate's. This bike shop also gives you 1/2 of what you origianally paid for a bike when you turn it in to upgrade to the next size, which I think is nice. Thanks again!!!