PDA

View Full Version : Nurses/Hospital Employees I need suggestions

jayali
04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I work for a large Financial Institution that is very involved with a large Children's Hospital. Traditionally we have sponsored a Carnival at the hospital for the patients. Today while meeting with the administration about this year's carnival we started to talk about additional things we could do at the hospital. After listening to all of the events that they have planned for the kids I thought it might be nice to do something for the staff. We did a tour of the hospital today and just meeting some of the staff on the different units I could tell how very special these people were and it occurred to me that we may want to sponsor (in addition to our children related events) something for the staff. I thought that we could do massage/reflexology day, someone also suggested doing something along the lines of getting people in our industry to come in and give free seminars on financial planning and insurance and different types of financial instruments. We also thought it might be nice to do something for the children of the people who take care of other people's kids. So I was wondering if any of you who work in a hospital had any ideas of things we could do for the staff. The event would be run entirely by volunteers, but as I said we have a large firm and have quite a bit of resources at hand. So please send me your ideas.

ritacheetah
04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
My sister is a nurse in a hospital and I remember her telling me last year that for nurses day they all got massages but they were all so busy all the time no one had time to go! So, I'm thinking it might have to be something they could do on their own time maybe?

Just a thought...

tnrnchick74
04-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I am an RN and the PP is right...we are usually so busy that there is NO WAY to take a few minutes to listen to a talk and enjoy a 5 min chair massage. Though the idea is WONDERFUL!

What works best, in my opinion, are nice goodie bags that can be grabbed and taken. What about a small bag with some "frufru" lotion and bath salts? Include some good info about financial planning/etc and maybe offer a time for the RN to make an appointment and come speak to you if desired?

Just throwing out suggestions. Of course food is ALWAYS welcome!!!!

karstmama
04-23-2008, 09:47 PM
abbreviated manicure (buff, no polish)
foot massage
food
coupons for something off pampering (like 50% off an hour massage, etc, on nurse's own time)
lunch bag coolers
non-bpa water bottles!
cushy socks

elephantmeg
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM
yeah as a nurse I can tell you that the day that is picked to do something like massages is the day that all heck breaks loose. Lets see, I still remember the goody bags a pts mom gave us-she was a Mary K representative and gave us mini hand kits. I think leting people know that they could get a short financial planing session on their own is awesome (I would totally take them up on it) and gift bags would be great-but I'm sure financially daunting too. My hospital does do an anual fun day for staff and their families (it runs all day so people can come after work, it might be worth seeing if they do something like that that you could contribute to. As a peds nurse I say thanks for saying that our job is special and for recognizing nurses. In case you aren't aware nurses week is in May
(copied from the ANA's website)

National Nurses Week 2008

02/07/08
The theme for 2008 National Nurses Week is Nurses: Making a Difference Every Day.

\

National Nurses Week is celebrated annually from May 6, also known as National Nurses Day, through May 12, the birthday of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing.

http://nursingworld.org/HomepageCategory/Announcements/2008NNWTheme.aspx

EXPECTINGMAY
04-24-2008, 12:25 AM
My sister is a nurse in a hospital and I remember her telling me last year that for nurses day they all got massages but they were all so busy all the time no one had time to go! So, I'm thinking it might have to be something they could do on their own time maybe?

Just a thought...

I too am an RN & I was not able to get away from the unit during the 2 times that massage was offered at my hospital. Also all hospitals have at least 2 shifts if not 3 so usually only the day shift benefits. I will say that the thought of a massage is great, but it's not always realistic to have the time during a shift. Maybe if the massage therapists are available before & after shift end then more people could benefit.

Another option is prividing food. Hospital workers act like they haven't eaten in weeks when free food is available :)

traumarn
04-24-2008, 06:55 AM
the idea of financial advice is good...it works...but, overall, food is generally the best bet.....the gift bags "sound" good- but 2 groups always get left out : the male RN's(like me) find it almost insulting for all-girl stuff to be given, with no consideration for most guys not wanting hand lotion or cosmetics; and the night shift- no one EVER remembers us.
if you want to do the grab-bag thing, that can work, also, just have 'male-bags', too....maybe put a bottle/jar of car wax or armour-all and/or gift card to a parts store(i am not suggesting make it all car stuff...ask some guys what they would actually think was cool, AND WOULD USE). maybe a mix of things like a tennis ball in a few bags, golf balls or raquetballs in others- that way, we could trade with someone for something we like...
for food to be provided, maybe decide on a theme, and have your volunteers
follow that. and for the night shift: simply having a SINGLE person show up to say thanks and show where the food is is 10000 times more attention than any hospital administration ever pays to us. it only needs to be 5min- really- the gesture alone would mean a lot...
oh, and just one more word:chocolate. (never fails)
please post back and let us know what you decide and how it goes!!!!