PDA

View Full Version : Honda Pilot or Odyssey??

beansprout13
04-23-2008, 10:47 PM
We need to get a new car and we have always had really good luck with Hondas and Acuras so have decided to stick to that family. Since the Acura SUV is out of my budgetary range, we are deciding between the Honda Pilot or the Odyssey.

I currently have a Honda CRV, but DH really wants to get something that can seat 7 or 8 people.

I've never seen myself as a minivan person, but I'm starting to come around on that... I really like both vehicles and both have their pros and cons so I'm having trouble deciding.

Anyone have any opinions?

Also to owners of these cars, what kind of gas mileage are you actually getting?

Thanks!!

Oak
04-23-2008, 10:52 PM
If you can afford it and the gas, go w/ the Odyssey. Check out the Hyundai as well.

ShayleighCarsensMom
04-23-2008, 11:26 PM
I love the Odyssey! The sliding doors are SO convenient with kids (especially with the controls on your remote!)
I also liked the Pilot but the third row is very small and very difficult to get kids into it if they were in a carseat.
I love the trunk space on the Ody, even with the 3rd row up. With the 3rd row folded into the floor we can fit an amazing amount of stuff.
Gas milage is not really as good as honda claims...I think we average around 15-20 mpg, driving mostly in town.

Valerie

megs4413
04-23-2008, 11:30 PM
we went with the Pilot (and i LOVE it), but if there's any chance you'll be growing your family again or if you think you will need the 3rd row seating on a pretty regular basis, I would go with the Odyssey. I'd also check and see what the LATCH positions are in each...I know in my Pilot (which is a 2004) ther are only two lower anchor positions wich is limiting for us....HTH!

newmomto1
04-24-2008, 12:59 AM
I went from a CRV to an Odyssey & I LOVE it!
I am a devoted Honda driver (before my CRV I had a CRX & a Civic).
I was one who said NEVER will I drive a minivan. But, here I am.
I love the sliding doors!!!!!!

annasmom
04-24-2008, 07:07 AM
We have both - my dh drives the Pilot, I drive the Odyssey.

Both would be great cars for 2 kids. However, the Odyssey (or minivans in general) does have some features that are just so nice. The sliding doors are a great help getting the kids in and out of the car. I hate how regular doors block your view and access - especially in parking lots. This will come into play when you are trying to get one child into the car, while keeping an eye on the other. It is also really nice in bad weather to be able to get everyone in the car, jump in yourself, and then take care of carseats and buckles.

Also, a minivan is lower to the ground so it is much easier for the kids to get into the car by themselves. It is also much easier to get one of those humungo double strollers into the back of the car.

The Pilot does not have room for a double stroller in the back unless you recline the third row. I my Odyssey, I can fit nicely my 3 kids, my double stroller, my single stroller, and an entire load of groceries.

GL!

LD92599
04-24-2008, 07:19 AM
I have a Pilot and my mom just an Ody in November, has yet to drive it. However, I've put all the miles so far on the Ody.

If you don't need the 4WD of the Pilot, go w/ the Ody - the new ones have the engine that shuts a few cylinders down at highway speeds. I love the sliding doors for DS, the DVD system etc.

I do prefer the height/stance on the road of my Pilot though and prefer the Pilot for the winter/snow.

Also in terms of seating, it's MUCH easier to utilize all 7/8 seats in the Odyssey than the Pilot - and if you have 8 in the Pilot the back row leg space is nil and the space behind the 3rd row is pretty small. I rarely use the 3rd row of the Pilot - and now that DS is in a regent, behind the passenger seat, i can't flip the 60% middle seat forward! I do need to move his seat.

In town mileage is about the same though.

KBecks
04-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Sliding doors rock. Minivans rock with kids.

I drive an 07 Ody and have never checked my gas mileage. I do go 6,000+ miles between oil changes with their little maintenance minder system.

wendibird22
04-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Former "I'll never drive a minivan" person. Now an Ody owner. Love, love, love it!

momma_boo
04-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Like some of the previous posters, I've had experience with both of those cars. We had a Pilot for 4 years and now have had an Odyssey for exactly one year. If you want a car that will easily seat more people, go for the Odyssey.

I agree with what everyone has said so far. Pros of the Odyssey: the sliding doors are a big plus, there is much more cargo space (even with the 3rd row up), there is just more interior space (I can get into the car and buckle the kids in - which comes in handy if the weather is bad since I'm buckling 2 kids). If you have carseats installed in the Pilot, getting to the 3rd row would be impossible since you can't fold the seat forward. At least with our Odyssey, we can just remove the middle seat to allow easy access into the 3rd row.

Drag0nflygirl
04-24-2008, 10:30 AM
The thing that sold me - and several posters have mentioned this but not spelled it out in safety terms - is the room between the back of the car and the third seat. There is much more "crumple zone" with the Ody.

candybomiller
04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
We have a Pilot and I absolutely love it. However, now that we are trying to adopt, I'm wondering if it's possible to have two rearfacing Marathons along with a booster in the second row. I don't want to use the third row because that will eat up all of my "trunk" space.

hellokitty
04-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Odyssey. You will have to get over your minivan hang up. You'll realize how foolish you were once you get your odyssey and LOVE it, lol. FWIW, I had a friend who got a pilot, even though I mentioned to her that an odyssey would probably be better. She refused to listen, she had minivan hang up big time. Then she saw my odyssey and regretted her pilot purchase (this is after she had her pilot for a month!). 2.5 yrs later, she traded in pilot for an odyssey. That's what happens when you have a minivan hang up, you learn your lesson the hard way, lol.

fortato
04-24-2008, 11:50 PM
* Candy- How is Ethan??

--I have a Grand Cherokee, which I got one month before getting pregnant- in hindsight, I wish I had gotten a minivan. Even with one child, I would love the space and extra seating.

The Odyssey gets the same gas mileage as my GC, but it has TONS more room for my shopping bags...which might not be a good thing.

kep
04-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks for chiming in, everyone! We are also going to be buying one of the two above vehicles in the next week or so, and I really have gained some valuable insight into our decision. Great thread. :bowdown:

galvjen
04-25-2008, 06:45 AM
The auto sliding doors and large space in trunk area even with the 3rd row being used are nice features. Being low to the ground is a definitely plus for younger children.

The gas mileage is worse than advertised, however (20/28 was the claim we got ours and we generally get 18/25).

Our other car is a 10 yr-old Civic and I can sing its praises all day too. :)
Jen

mmaimp
04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
We went to look at cars at the Honda dealership yesterday. The Pilot is redesigned for 2009 and we were told they should be out in June.

I wish the Ody had an option for the DVD system and fabric seats.

ohiomom
04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I wish the Ody had an option for the DVD system and fabric seats.

I have one. :)

In 2004 they had a limited run of EXs w/fabric seats with the entertainment system for an AWESOME lease price under $300 with no money down for 2 yrs. We renewed our lease 2 yrs and I just bought it out this week. I miss driving a small car, but we just couldn't justify giving up he features of this van since a new Ody w/DVD (and leather) would cost so much. If you don't mind used you may be able to find this setup out there..... Like you, I can't fathom why this isn't offered. I really do NOT like leather seats.