PDA

View Full Version : Teething and Congestion? Any BTDT?

ha98ed14
04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Can these two present together? DD (11 mos) is definitely cutting the top two incisors. About 4 days ago, she started a little cough. Four days later she is really congested and has a runny nose and is drooling everywhere. The snot is clear, so I don't think it is a cold. She has had a runny nose before that I am sure was because of teething but this is the first time she has had a cough or sounded "raspy" in her breathing. Of course the peds say that teething does not cause runny noses or fevers; however, I know plenty of moms who say it does. I am just concerned because this time she is congested and coughing...

Any BTDT? TIA!

BillK
04-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Yep! Ben (11 months old) JUST had that - stuffy nose, horrible raspy cough, drooling like a madman. It was gross.

sidmand
04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes, although it took me a really long time to associate two! I kept thinking, "Poor thing has some teeth coming in AND has a cold." It was way too long before I realized one was most likely related to the other!

ha98ed14
04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Any advice on what to do for it? Now that the decongestants are off the market, I am at a loss except to keep suctioning with the blue bulb syringe, which she hates and screams through...

Tondi G
04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
saline nose drops/spray (I use Little Noses), they also make a nose drop decongestant if you wanted to try that. Menthol/Vapor Bath always helps loosen things up too.... there is no harm in them having a bath or two each day if it helps with the congestion. Chicken Noodle soup always helped my little guys too!

It could be the teething but it sounds like a little cold virus to me. Just keep her hydrated... I always give them some Motrin before bed to help with the pain and inflammation from teething.

Good luck