PDA

View Full Version : Jackson has a loose tooth...Doesn't it seem early?

TaChapm
04-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Yesterday Jackson came running into the kitchen screaming and crying because his tooth was loose. I mean he was absolutely panicked! (It was actually a little funny) He is 5.5 years old and DH thinks that it is really early. I don't remember when I lost my first tooth but I am pretty sure it was later than 5.5 years.

So...In Jackson's panic he insisted we take him to the dentist. We have been trying to get him to go for about 1.5 years now and he always panics and will not go in. Complete and total fear of the dentist! We have been telling him that his teeth would get rotten and fall out if he didn't go so I think that is why he had this reaction. We jumped on the opportunity and have him an appointment tomorrow. :yay: I feel bad that he is scared about his tooth falling out because that was not our intention. I really want this to be fun and exciting but my poor little guy is absolutely terrified about his tooth. Now I need to find some fun tooth fairy things for him.

Oh...and by the way...When the heck did he get so old? I swear I feel like he was just a little baby! My little man is growing up. :(

MamaMolly
04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
5.5 is not crazy early IMO. And I hear ya about the whole getting old thing! Time really flies!

JBaxter
04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
5.5 is well within the normal age to have loose teeth

jenmcadams
04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I think it's on the earlier side, but not unheard of. There are a lot of kids in Abbie's K class who have lost teeth...some of them are quite a bit older, but some are on the younger side too.

Slight highjack...Abbie had an incident with some monkey bars about a year ago and we weren't sure if she would lose her top two teeth or not. They firmed up and all seemed well until a few weeks ago when a pimple formed on the gum above one of her teeth. We had a cleaning appt on Tuesday and when we came home she was minus her top two teeth :) They decided to pull them both b/c one was starting to get infected (12 months post injury) -- she was a trooper and did great. This was her 3rd cleaning and she'd never had a cavity so never had a procedure done and she was so brave...mommy almost fainted, but we go to the most amazing pediatric dentist and the whole thing was done quickly. She's so proud b/c she feels like one of the older kids now with her missing teeth. I need to take some good pictures this weekend, but here's one my DH snapped with his iPhone at breakfast this week...the drop on her chin is milk and she doesn't always go around with her eyes half open :)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/jenmcadams/Abbienoteeth-iPhone.jpg

TaChapm
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
You know...Jackson fell on the playground equipment earlier this month and bit through his tongue. His teeth didn't feel loose after but I wonder if that fall had anything to do with this one being loose. Hmmmm...

By the way your DD is absolutely precious. I just showed Jackson her picture and how cool it was to lose a tooth. He is thinking that it is going to be OK now. ;)

missliss55
04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
My friends little boy lost his first tooth a couple of months before he turned 5. It is on the early side but the pediatric dentist said if they got teeth early then there is the chance they will lose them early. A couple of weeks after he lost the first bottom one the other bottom one came out too.

bnme
04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
My olderst lost his first at 5 years 3 months. He also got his first tooth very early - I think around 4 months old.

kcimato
04-24-2008, 08:43 PM
My granddaughter lost her first tooth last year at 4 yr 8 months. She lost her top tooth a few weeks back and she is 5 1/2. She did not get her baby teeth early either.

himom
04-24-2008, 08:51 PM
DS1 is a few months older. When we took him to the dentist last month they did x-rays and showed me where his adult teeth were. He also was able to guess when they would start coming in -- the bottoms will be out within the next year, and the tops probably the year after that.

So I guess Jack is well within the range, although if I were you I would also mention his fall when you see the dentist.

Good luck, hope that helps!

Jodi

toothfairy
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi! I'm a dentist (and I used to be a very fearful child patient!) First teeth may be lost as early as age 4, so he's fine. If he also fell recently, the doc might want an X-ray of the area just to check it. Hope all goes well!

Amy

spanannie
04-24-2008, 09:20 PM
No, definitely not too early. My son, 5.75 years, has 2 loose teeth on the bottom. Several kids in his Pre-K class have lost teeth and even last year, in the 4-year-old class, a couple had lost teeth. I think 5.5 - 6 is the norm.

I think if Jackson's fall had led to the loose tooth, it probably would have greyed, and you would have noticed it.

marit
04-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Maya was 5 in January and she lost her first tooth a week ago!

Yes, it's early, but nothing to worry about. Mostly genetic, I think. She also got her first tooth at 5 month, so she's early with teeth in general. :)