PDA

View Full Version : What age do kids "play Dr."?

SnuggleBuggles
04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Not the kind with the toy medical kit but the, "hey, look my body is different than yours's when we take our clothes off" kind? I never played it but if I were to put an age on it I would say 4-6yo, maybe a bit younger. Does that sound right to anyone here?

On ds's bus there seemed to be a bit of that going on one day according to my ds. I promptly alerted the school and the other parents. I gave ds the "your body is a private thing" speech but I wasn't shocked that he did it. The school director acted like it was a very age inappropriate activity (he is 5yo) and I was surprised by her reaction. I thought I would see if I was right to be surprised or if you thought that was when you think that behavior would happen.

Beth

Wife_and_mommy
04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Age 5 sounds about right to me. Hopefully the director handled it well. Her reaction sounds like discomfort with the nature of the situ rather than disapproval of the behavior.

tnrnchick74
04-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I would say anywhere for 3-6 depending on the maturity of the child. I would be a little concerned at the director's reaction given this is a normal part of development...though I have a feeling her reaction is more being scared of lawsuits as opposed to negative body image issues.

newmomto1
04-24-2008, 06:42 PM
We have been dealing with a bit of this as well.
DS is 4 years old

MamaMolly
04-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Picture a classroom of 4 year olds sitting down to lunch when Little Girl A says:

Little Boy B has a hotdog in his pocket!

Wellllll folks it wasn't a hotdog it was his winky. So IMO and in my experience 3-6 is pretty much the norm. ITA that the director is probably concerned about the legal issue. HTH