PDA

View Full Version : Car seat to use only twice a year

cmorgen
04-25-2008, 12:05 AM
This is a weird scenario. We are headed to Mexico in a few weeks. On the plane we will use the CARES harness, and in Mexico will not be using a car and won't need a car seat. On the way home we are stopping at my parents house in California, which is where we will need a car seat.

We don't want to carry a car seat all the way to Mexico and back, so we are planning on buying one and shipping it to my parents, then they will keep it at their house for when we visit a couple times a year.

So, my question is this: What type of seat should we get that will be safe but also last a couple years. My daughter is 3 years old, 36" and 35 pounds.

Thanks!

KrisM
04-25-2008, 06:10 AM
I'd look into the Graco Nautalis. It's a combination seat - harnesses to 65 lbs and then becomes a booster. It's about $150 or so, but should last for a long time.

Joolsplus2
04-25-2008, 08:17 AM
<nodding in agreement> It'll last as a harnessed seat till she's at least 6 or 7, then it's a great highback booster till age 9+ (about the time it expires), then it can be used backless till she's 11ish and doesn't need a booster anymore (the highback portion expires after 6 years of use, the backless is good for 9 years, so your dd is the perfect age to use it to it's full capacities :) )

emelsea
04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I agree. My son is almost exactly the same size as your daughter, and he is very comfortable in his GN. It installed easily enough, and I was able to get a really solid install right away.