PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Done With your Avent Bottles??

Bens Momma
04-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I have a LARGE stash of Avent bottles in both the 4 & 9 oz sizes that I was storing in case we decided to have DC #3....Well in light of the BPA findings, I won't be using them for another child. I hate to just toss them out. I have seen a bunch of Avent listings on our local Craigslist lately (seems scummy that people don't find them safe for their DC, but will try to sell them to others!) Before the findings I was going to donate them to our local WIC office or mother's center. What did you all do with yours? Any clever uses or should I just toss them?

Thanks for your input-
Momma to 2 DS

PS-Anyone else feel so betrayed and upset that they used these bottles for their DC based on them being one of the most recommended (and expensive) bottles when I bet the gov and Avent company had knowledge of the dangers of BPA!?!?!?

ha98ed14
04-25-2008, 02:59 PM
I had a bunch of Avent bottles hand-me-downed from a friend of my moms who used them with her kids (3 and 6 years ago). I used them with my DD (now 11 mos.) until she was 3 mos and then I bought Born Free because of the BPA scare. I also faced what to do with my now un-use-able (IMO) Avent Bottles. I posted an ad on Freecycle offering them for any purpose OTHER than bottle feeding your kid (Holding buttons, small do-dads, play feeding a doll baby, etc.). I referenced the BPA scare, and said there was nothing actually wrong with them accept BPA. I had no takers, so I threw them out. I also thought of donating them, but in the end I thought, if this is not something I would give my own child, how am I helping another mom to encourage her to give it to her child? So I threw them out. Even if a mom on WIC needs bottles, she is better off with NEW ones that contain BPA than mine or yours that have been used on 2 kids and have probably broken down significantly and will leech more BPA than a new one. If I were you, I would toss them in the trash unless you can come up with a storage idea, maybe to hold craft supplies or something...

cuca_
04-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I threw out the actual bottles, but kept the tops and nipples. I purchased Gerber Gentle Flow bottles and am able to use my avent tops on these.

HTH

Ceepa
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
I tossed my 9 oz. ones but kept some 4 oz. ones to hold paint for DC's easel. I only pour enough paint in for the bottles for DC to use at one sitting. Meaning I don't pour a lot of paint into the bottles and store for a later use. And I wash them with the brushes as soon as art time is done.

They're a great short size, fit into the easel tray holes and have large openings (great for paintbrushes). DC are past sticking the paintbrushes/paint into their mouths so that isn't a worry here.

And not just for easels; we just used them today while painting on the floor.

Bens Momma
04-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your response regarding your experience. I totally agree with you about donating them. I planned to do that BEFORE the BPA scare, I wouldn't do it now in light of the findings. I'll keep checking here for other suggestions, but I'm doing a huge cleanout over the next 2 weeks so if I can't come up with something I guess they get the ole' heave ho! The only thought I had was storing paints for the kids, but it might make a bigger mess than just the regular small paint containers.

Bens Momma
04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Ceepa-
So funny about your paint container response....I was typing about it at the same time you were posting. Great minds think alike, right? Good to know that it has worked for you! I think I'll try it!

elliput
04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I will probably keep a few for storing sewing items (and I like the paint idea), however, I will take the remainder to a recycling center that accepts all types of plastics. I just don't feel right about throwing them into a landfill.

ETA - It just occurred to me that these bottles would make great storage for hardware items (nuts, bolts, washers, etc), so don't forget to ask your DH's if they can put them to use before disposing.

citymama
04-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes, absolutely feel betrayed and upset to have used these on DD. And no plans to pass our Avents on to another kid, anywhere!

Our "solution" was to switch to the Avent Magic Trainer cups which are non-BPA, but all the regular Avent parts work with those - the rings, nipples/sippy spouts and lids. So all we have had to replace are the actual polycarb. bottles themselves. (Note: I would caution against re-using nipples with another child for hygiene and many other reasons.)

We still have some old Avent bottles - DD uses the 4 oz ones as toy bottles for her dolls and stuffed animals. The 9 oz ones we're using as liquid measures occasionally, and mostly just waiting to figure out where to recycle them!

They could also come in handy as a bath mug or toy for bathtime or beach. Or use 'em for bug disposal - to catch that pesky wasp that gets in your kitchen! ;)

nov04
04-26-2008, 12:47 AM
threw mine out about 6m ago instead of selling them. dd1 didn't use them very long before we switched to drop-ins, I'm still annoyed though.

Ceepa
04-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Ceepa-
So funny about your paint container response....I was typing about it at the same time you were posting. Great minds think alike, right? Good to know that it has worked for you! I think I'll try it!

Ha! I also like DC seeing that we can repurpose items that are no longer used for their initial purpose.