PDA

View Full Version : How to restart napping - is it possible?

cono0507
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
My son just turned 3. My daughter was born when he was 2.5. When she arrived, he stopped napping. Prior to this he was 1.5-2.5 hours per afternoon daily nap. As soon as DD arrived, he refused to nap or to even spend quiet time in his room. I think it might be because he'd be missing out on mom time or fun time if he had to go take a nap. However, it is not working. He still needs a nap and is an ABSOLUTE bear by 5pm. When he is overly tired, he starts antagonizing his 8 mo old sister, pushing her over, being defiant, etc. I know he still needs the nap and if we happen to be in the car anytime after noon, he zonks out quickly and falls into a deep sleep. He goes to daycare one full day a week and takes a 1.5-2 hour nap there.

FWIW, he sleeps from about 8p-7a at night (does not wake up at night).

Has anyone ever convinced their preschool aged child to start napping again? How?

Thanks! :)

KrisM
04-25-2008, 10:38 PM
My DS stopped napping about 2.5 or so. He'll be 4 next week and he sleeps from about 7pm to 6:30am every day. Maybe you could put your son to bed earlier? Maybe if he gets an extra hour at night, he'll be better rested during the day and able to miss the nap.

I have no advice on restarting a nap. Sorry.

deannanb
04-25-2008, 11:40 PM
If you have the time -
I have found that DS does not want to nap on his own - but if I am in the bed with him - he is sound asleep in about 10 minutes.

since your son will fall asleep in the car - maybe try that for a few days in a row - drive around - let him fall asleep and move him to the bed - and then at that same time for another few days put him in the bed and sit with him until he is asleep.

I know all suggestions will be hard with another child in the mix.

hopefully something will work. I know all about a grouchy bear without a nap!

SnuggleBuggles
04-25-2008, 11:45 PM
My ds went through phases of napping and not napping till he was over 4yo. I found that when the weather got hot he needed more naps so for a few wonderful weeks in late May/ early June he would nap again. Maybe you'll have the same luck...and the naps will stick even after an adjustment to the weather. Obviously this only works in places with seasons. :) GL!

Beth

newmomto1
04-25-2008, 11:52 PM
We actually stopped DS's naps because we had a hard time getting him to go to sleep at night. I think he could still use a nap. On days when we know we'll be out late with him (special occasions), we make him nap. We tell him that if he wants to go with us he has to nap & he's okay with that. Lately I've been inching his bedtime up earlier because, like your DS..he is a BEAR in the afternoon because he's tired. I am trying to make sure he gets a minimum of 12 hours sleep. I try to get him in bed by 7:00. It's hard though because this is close to the time DH gets home & of course DS wants to spend time with him. When we're successful in getting him to bed early it *seems* to help with is mood the next day.
SOOO...I guess if you cannot "bribe" him to nap, can you aim for more sleep at night????????????

cono0507
04-25-2008, 11:52 PM
These are great ideas!

Tonight we did bedtime early (there was a big storm approaching so it was getting dark long before it normally does) and he went to bed just before 7pm.

I like the idea of taking advantage of the fact he falls asleep easily in the car and may have to try that next week. I may also be able to lay down with him for naps if we coordinate it with when my daughter is sleeping (she tends to take her second nap around 1pm too).

I love that I can come here for ideas - keep them coming and thank you! :)

goodnightmoon
04-26-2008, 02:43 AM
I agree that you should try to coordinate the naps so DS1 doesn't think he's missing anything. I always put DD2 down right in front of DD1, then put DD1 down for her afternoon nap. She knows that everyone is napping (sometimes even Mommy) and doesn't think she's missing out on fun things. Some days she will just play quietly, but 90% of the time she falls asleep and takes a 3 hour nap.

There have been days when her younger sister isn't quite ready for her second nap yet, but DD1 still needs to sleep. I'll put DD2 in her crib, then get DD1 in her bed and actually go take DD2 back out to play a little bit longer. DD1 still thinks everyone is sleeping. ;)

brittone2
04-26-2008, 10:55 AM
I stopped DS's naps when he was around 3, which was when DD was born. With naps he was staying up until 10pm and genuinely wasn't tired until then. I couldn't take it ;) During DD's nap he generally would work on a project quietly (I'd get him set up prior to her nap because she naps much longer/better in my lap).

He's now 4, and during her naps in the past 1-2 weeks he's started to request I put on some music (jazz or classical) and he is taking a short nap around noon while she naps. Weird, but it is working for him a year after he stopped napping.

Maybe try a book on CD and some quiet time? Greathall makes some good sleepytime story CDs that might work. Enjoyable, but calm enough to maybe lull him to sleep?

linsei
04-26-2008, 04:02 PM
I have not read the other replies, but ds1 (now 4) stopped taking/needing a nap everyday just after his 3rd b-day. He still needs a nap 1-2 times a week. He fully understands that when he cannot be pleasant, he needs a nap. (I say it that way b/c he gets aggressive, grumpy, etc. when he is tired).

When ds2 was born recently, I needed the nap! I would tell ds1 that it's time for me to take a nap. That seemed to be a little easier for him to handle than telling him it was time for him to lay down for a nap. He was allowed to play quietly if I didn't think he necessarily needed a nap (=still pleasant to be around), but usually, he would get bored lay down when i did. :)

I found that if he did take a nap everyday, it was harder to get him to bed at night. 1-2 naps/week when he really needs them is a system that works for us.

hardysmom
04-27-2008, 10:11 AM
My (now 4 yr) twins still nap 1-2 hrs AND go to bed at 7:30.

When they went from cribs to a single big-bed, the naps stopped and we tried just having "quiet time" (yeah, right) for a while, but they were horrible by late afternoon, too tired to eat dinner, etc

I've found that if I put them down, but stay in the room, they will fall asleep w/i 15 minutes. At first, I had to make them stop playing, trying to get up, etc but fairly quickly the routine came back.

Now, I just read a magazine or something then sneak out once they are down.

Many of our friends say that if their kids nap, they'll be up too late, but that doesn't seem to be the case around here.

Stephanie